The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 03:06pm
Broadcaster

Not a FED rule...yet

Personally I would like to see this rule at the FED level, but it hasn't happened yet. A few officials apparently thought it was.

USC before TD

There wasn’t much to celebrate after a 34-0 loss to Heritage, but at least North Murray coach Larry Cornelius was right in his argument with members of the Northwest Georgia Football Officials Association even though a touchdown — which should have stood — was taken off the board.

With Heritage leading 7-0, Mountaineers’ quarterback Brady Swilling hit receiver Jacob Mays on a fly route. Mays caught the ball at about the 40 yard line and raced toward the end zone. But inside the 7-yard line, Mays turned around, slowed and backpedaled — he never stopped running — and looked at the Heritage defenders. Mays then turned back facing the Heritage end zone for the score.

But the referee threw a penalty flag and tagged Mays with an unsportsmanlike conduct call. The penalty was marked off 15 yards from the 2-yard line and the touchdown was erased from the scoreboard. The Mountaineers would later fumble to end the drive, but the touchdown should have stood.

In a much-publicized effort to reduce taunting and unsportsmanlike conduct, the NCAA has adopted a regulation that if a player is ruled to have committed a taunting violation while scoring, the score is removed and the team is penalized. Two state high school football associations in the nation follow NCAA rules. Georgia isn’t one of them.

Georgia High School Association games are governed by the National Federation of State High School Associations, and the much stricter taunting rules have yet to be adopted into the high school rulebook.

Cornelius said he spoke with NGFOA director Greg Norton on Saturday and was issued an apology.

“I explained to him the situation and went straight to him rather than going to the GHSA,” Cornelius said. “(Norton) said, ‘You are 100-percent correct, and we have already had a conversation with the officials, who are very upset at the mistake.’ It doesn’t help our situation, but I understand that referees make a mistake. The bad thing is that it isn’t a lapse in judgment. It is just a matter of knowing the rules. It wasn’t the play that defined the game, but it definitely was a momentum shift.”

Norton acknowledged the incorrect ruling when reached on Saturday.

“The rule for NCAA and the National Federation are different,” Norton said. “It should have been penalized from the succeeding spot with the option of the penalty being taking on the extra-point attempt or the ensuing kickoff.”

/end

Personally I would love to see that rule at the HS level. If the kids act like they've been there before, they don't have that problem.
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

There is a rule that says not to copy/paste copyrighted material on this forum.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Why should USC by a ballcarrier be penalized any differently from USC by any other player or non-player participant?
Old Sun Aug 28, 2011, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Why should USC by a ballcarrier be penalized any differently from USC by any other player or non-player participant?
To put a stop to the stupid taunting that so many runners do on a scoring run. Flag a kid and take away the TD, you'll put a stop to this nonsense. It's coming!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
To put a stop to the stupid taunting that so many runners do on a scoring run.
That's what an audience looks at, but it's no better or worse than the taunting that goes on at all other positions (and off the field) all game long. So I suspect NCAA there of making rules for audiences rather than players.
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That's what an audience looks at, but it's no better or worse than the taunting that goes on at all other positions (and off the field) all game long. So I suspect NCAA there of making rules for audiences rather than players.
then you suspect wrong. If during a run by A1, A53 is called for taunting B57 behind the play and before A1 crosses the goal line, the TD will be taken off of the board and the penalty enforced from the spot of the foul. It doesn't just apply to the runner
Old Mon Aug 29, 2011, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The NCAA or any rules organization can create whatever rule they want to for whatever reason they choose to. Taunting at that level is a major problem in the NCAA's eyes and they want it to stop. This has led to other problems and why we have all kinds of rules for pre-game activities and players coming off the bench is because things that were not rules were once allowed and it leads to problems. If this will make it stop when you start taking away obvious scores away from teams and costing games. Now in my experience this is not a problem at the HS level because I cannot recall too many times where a player does anything before they get across the goal line.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
then you suspect wrong. If during a run by A1, A53 is called for taunting B57 behind the play and before A1 crosses the goal line, the TD will be taken off of the board and the penalty enforced from the spot of the foul. It doesn't just apply to the runner
So the original article's reference to "a player...while scoring" was over-specific?
Old Tue Aug 30, 2011, 08:59am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
So the original article's reference to "a player...while scoring" was over-specific?
Yes, it was. The rule was simply changed so that USC by a player is a live ball foul penalized under 3-and-1 enforcement.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmathews View Post
I disagree with this- if A53 is taunting B57 saying running his mouth or dancing and you are calling this unsportsmanlike then it is enforced from the succeeding spot. USC are deadball fouls.

You are confusing Personal Fouls behind the runner scoring. Like A53 peeling back way behind the play and taking a chance and hitting a defenseless player.

That is the way I understand the rule anyway.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 08:37am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBo View Post
I disagree with this- if A53 is taunting B57 saying running his mouth or dancing and you are calling this unsportsmanlike then it is enforced from the succeeding spot. USC are deadball fouls.

You are confusing Personal Fouls behind the runner scoring. Like A53 peeling back way behind the play and taking a chance and hitting a defenseless player.

That is the way I understand the rule anyway.
He is talking about the NCAA rule change this year. Under NCAA rules, UNS by a player during a play is now a live ball foul.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nope your reference to the NCAA just catering to what the audience sees is where you "suspect" incorrectly. If that were the case they wouldn't have included those UNS fouls that occur behind the play.
Old Wed Aug 31, 2011, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
He is talking about the NCAA rule change this year. Under NCAA rules, UNS by a player during a play is now a live ball foul.
yep correct I was referring to the NCAA Ruling