The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 27, 2011, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

More "Nit Pick" from Washington State

The following is from an article written by the Tri-City Herald in Kennewick, WA. This happened at the 3A Regional meet in Spokane. This is the same group (WOA/WIAA) that suspended football officals for using pink whistles.

The Kamiakin Braves won the sprint relay in 42.77 seconds, which is the fastest time in the state for Class 3A schools this season. They were then given their first-place medals, when an opposing coach noticed the team was wearing different color uniforms.

The rules state that if two or more members of a relay are wearing tights under the uniform, then all relay members must wear the same colors. Three of the Braves were wearing black tights and one white tights.

The meet's games committee convened and initally voted 3-1 to deny the protest and let Kamiakin move on. Another protest was then filed because not all members of the games committee were present for the vote. After much talk, the second vote went against Kamiakin, allowing Eastmont's relay team to earn the final state-qualifying spot.

"Coach (Cheryl) Schauble came over to me and told me," Johnston said. "I didn't think she was being serious until I saw her face. I didn't know how we got disqualified."

Kamiakin took the protest to the WIAA, but the appeal was denied.

Read more: Kamiakin's Johnston sprints to state - Sports: Track | Tri-City Herald : Mid-Columbia news

Last edited by Redneck Ref; Fri May 27, 2011 at 11:39am.
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

I don't get this ruling...

I am not a Track Official...but, I have been a Basketball Official, in Washington State, for over 20 years.

If I was part of a crew that "allowed" a player to participate with an "illegal colored undershirt"...I do not see how a governing body could dis-allow a win if indeed the "wrong colored" shirt was worn during that win.

Once our crew leaves the confines of the court...the final score is in the books.

What advantage did the track kid get wearing a different color undergarment?

The uniform issue should have been addressed BEFORE the race...not AFTER!

Someone please enlighten me...
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

You know how much basketball officials hate being "uniform police?" I guarantee the track officials hate being uniform police at least 20 times more than you do.

What's the penalty in basketball if you miss an improper uniform? Force the coach to play a sub or take a timeout while the uni is corrected? Technical foul? (I really don't know)

In track, the penalty is disqualification from the event. Imagine telling a kid after his/her performance is complete, that it has been completely negated because they were wearing something improper. This would be like telling a basketball player that all of the points he/she scored in the game have been removed.

Because of this, it is essential for the clerk of course to scour every athlete for uniform and jewelry issues before they are sent to the starter, especially at a tournament meet like what was described. That said, this does not remove the responsibility of the athletes and coaches to know the rule and be in compliance. In fact, another rule requires that the referee verify with each coach, either verbally or in writing, that all of the athletes are in compliance with uniform, jewelry, and equipment rules.

As for when the violation was noticed, the post is a bit unclear and whether it was too late is hard to tell. By rule, the race is over when places have been determined and recorded by the head finish judge. After that, it's too late. The OP says it was noticed when they were given their medals, but some places give out the medals while they are still on the track, so it could have been before everything was recorded. If they were getting on a podium to get their awards several minutes after the race when the tights were brought to the attention of the officials, they probably should not have been disqualified.

The "advantage" issue has been brought up by thousands of parents and coaches for many, many years. I'm not going to argue the merit of the rule, but it is the rule. The uniform rule is one of my least favorite because the penalty does seem to be quite stiff. But, if you are a coach and you know that the penalty is so stiff, don't you go to great lengths to make sure all your athletes are in compliance before they get to a Regional meet?
Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
You know how much basketball officials hate being "uniform police?" I guarantee the track officials hate being uniform police at least 20 times more than you do.

What's the penalty in basketball if you miss an improper uniform? Force the coach to play a sub or take a timeout while the uni is corrected? Technical foul? (I really don't know)
Depends...if you're talking about an illegal uniform, then it's ONE technical foul issued to the head coach for any and all violations. If it's for jewelry, you'd either make them take care of the issue right on the spot (something like a player wearing a necklace), or the official could ask for a substitute for said player. In no way would a player be handed a technical foul for jewelry.

I will say this, this is one of the stupidest rules I've seen in any sport. How has anyone not purposed a rule change to this?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jun 06, 2011, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Just to clarify for Altor...

If a basketball player has a different colored undergarment (that shows)...then that player would be removed from the game. No T, just not allowed to participate.

When said player becomes "uniform" with the rules...then player may re-enter the game.

No way would a basketball game be forfieted because of a different colored undergarment issue. Sheesh!
Old Thu Jun 09, 2011, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

The "Advantage" judgement does not really apply in issues like this. Normally an action is illegal solely because is does, by defenition, give an advantage. Holding, pass interference, encroachment, etc. have all been outlawed because they give one team an unfair advantage. We sometimes pass on calling a foul because we note, it this one instance, no advatage was gained despite the foul.

Uniform rules are illegal for a different reason. I don't know what the tights rule was put in for, but it's there and as Altor said, the rule is there and the coaches know it. Whether any advantage was gained should not be part of the consideration.