The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Who cares what some state association wants if you do not work for them. I am sure the NF does not really care what they want anyway or based their ruling based their interpretations. Again, keep it simple. If the ball is in the FBZ then BBW is allowed under previous circumstances. You seemed to have thought up something that would not only be rare, but unlikely. Why worry about a third world situation that is not likely going to happen in the first place?
Because I coach. I'm a lot less interested in things like the color of whistles or of eye black, and a lot more in things that can actually affect the game.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 10:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Because I coach. I'm a lot less interested in things like the color of whistles or of eye black, and a lot more in things that can actually affect the game.
What does that mean? As an official I belong to one state association, what another association does is not my concern. I have to answer to my people and a play like this if there is an issue I talk to my people and do what they want. What Iowa, Wisconsin, Ohio or Michigan does would not concern me one bit. Which is why if this is a problem, ask your people and see what they think. But from what I can tell you are trying to find an obscure situation to be worried about.

Peace
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Robert,

A's "intention" of where the ball was "supposed go" is immaterial. All that matters is where the ball did go and when the block happens.

You are using a poor case book example for your point. In that example A1 is 7 yds back, clearly out of the zone. What NFHS rules is it is possible for A linemen to legally BBW if it is done immediately after the snap because they deem the ball to still be in the zone in this type formation. If there is any delay, the ball is out & BBW is now illegal. Consider the time it takes the snapped ball to travel 3+ yds vs the reaction times of the linemen to grasp their point. Personally, I don't think it's possible for them to legally BBW at all, but that's a whole other argument.

In your example, A1 sets up 2 yds behind the line, which when you think about it is just about standing directly behind the center. So now, if A1 muffs the snap, the covering official is going to have to determine if the ball rolled out of the zone prior to the BBW or not. The ball rolling out after a muff/fumble is no different than if it gets carried out or thrown out or whatever.
Old Thu May 26, 2011, 03:41pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
While issues of eye black WILL effect you this season as a coach, I'm sure pink whistles do not. I don't care much about the topic either as our state supervisor told us last year "don't even ask." However, for some of us it is a topic of interest.

I appreciate your efforts to apply what officials might rule towards a coaching situation. I believe that MikeL and I have provided reasonable answers to your question. It just took some time and probing to figure out what it was you were asking. Its been a standard NFHS prinicple for officials to usually not be required to devine intent.