The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 12:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It never ends

Just got an email from an assignor this morning to work a girls HS program during June. It's one night a week and three games on that night. What's a little strange is that there are two "divisions" - V and Frosh/JV, and the V games are 16 minute stop time halves and the Frosh/JV games are 20 minute running halves. I have no idea why they have different rules for that. The good news is that each team gets only two 60s and one 30 for the game.

Also, they're not keeping individual foul counts - but the game rules state "this league is not designed to turn into a hack-fest". I guess that means if someone is fouling excessively and without restraint, we toss her.

The players are almost all exclusively from one conference (usually regarded as the top girls league in the state) and the games are at four different high schools, but I get to work only at the one that's closest to my house (about a 20-25 minute drive). With the price of gas these days, that's a big deal.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 01:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Don't Get It ??? I Give Up ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Just got an email from an assignor this morning to work a girls HS program during June. It's one night a week and three games on that night.
Why?

Money? Exercise? Stay on top of your game? See some buddies that you don't normally see in the off season? Give the kids an official who cares? Get away from the wife, kids, and dog? Get out of doing household chores? Masochist?

We had an official many years ago who would work games anywhere, anytime, any level, any distance, any fee, etc. We would kid him and say that he would work a game in the bathtub, if they had one. You remind me of that guy.

Your ratio of working any other level games to high school varsity games must be about a hundred to one? Don't you ever get tired, either physically, or mentally?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why?

Money? Exercise? Stay on top of your game? See some buddies that you don't normally see in the off season? Give the kids an official who cares? Get away from the wife, kids, and dog? Get out of doing household chores? Masochist?

We had an official many years ago who would work games anywhere, anytime, any level, any distance, any fee, etc. We would kid him and say that he would work a game in the bathtub, if they had one. You remind me of that guy.

Your ratio of working any other level games to high school varsity games must be about a hundred to one? Don't you ever get tired, either physically, or mentally?
Judging by the number of posts, it certainly doesn't make him too tired to type!!
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eat? Sleep? Shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judtech View Post
Judging by the number of posts, it certainly doesn't make him too tired to type!!
You would think that Mark Padgett spends 100% of his time working games at all levels, posting on the Forum, and watchng Law and Order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
No games for four days in a row! Guess I'll just catch up on all the Law & Order reruns I recorded.
Well, at least now, he'll have some more free time.

Case closed: 'Law & Order' is canceled by NBC | rgj.com | The Reno Gazette-Journal
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 22, 2010 at 02:30pm.
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 03:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Billy has more posts per day than Padgett, and watches mainly educational television, with some exceptions.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat May 22, 2010, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Billy has more posts per day than Padgett, and watches mainly educational television, with some exceptions.
And apparently reads the Reno paper too.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 10:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
And apparently reads the Reno paper too.
He was just trying to relate to you, Nevada.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 02:19pm
Archaic Power Monger

I wouldn't mind working some Spring / Summer ball but as a newbie, I'm still a nobody.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 02:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Fixed it for ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I wouldn't mind working some Spring / Summer ball but as a newbie, I don't know the right people yet.
Stay out there and continue to do a good job.....it'll happen.

Continued good luck.
Old Sun May 23, 2010, 09:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

Absolutely. I know how the game goes, that's just the way it is. I'm just going to keep doing my thing and work on getting better.

Last edited by Welpe; Sun May 23, 2010 at 09:18pm.