The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

What are some of the items your crew / you include into your pre game. How long is it?

Thanks for the information
Old Wed Jan 08, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Get every crew member involved...

We get suited-up and then the referee conducts an equipment check at one hour prior to game time: whistle, scorecard/pencil, down indicator, beanbag, flag, etc.

Then he breaks down the game by component (kicking plays, running plays, passing plays, etc.) and each official will discuss his mental checklist of what he is responsible for during the play (including dead-ball periods).

Getting everyone involved helps get their minds focused on the game and grease the mental wheels for the job ahead.

At 30 minutes prior to game time the referee concludes the pregame meeting and the crew goes out to the field to talk to the coaches, check equipment, etc.

At 15 minutes prior to game time the referee will call the crew together to discuss any special plays, etc. and then we go to our positions for the coin toss.
Old Thu Jan 09, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

My pregame is much the same as Mike described.

Forty-minutes before game time all talk about past and future games stops and all concentration is placed on the game we are working.

1. Review of last week game and lessons learned. NOTE: we review each game after the game so this is a brief reminder.

2. Review any known information about the teams. If the weather is rainy and/or windy we discuss possible rule situations we should be aware. If there is a super player and some expectation of how he is covered, we discuss how to control the situation.

3. Look at possible coach behavior from known reports or past performances to determine how to handle the sidelines.

4. Then a final look at rules that may apply today.

When we leave the locker room at 35 minutes before game time our objective is to know how we are planning to cover the game.

Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Question short pregame

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

Forty-minutes before game time all talk about past and future games stops and all concentration is placed on the game we are working.

1. Review of last week game and lessons learned. NOTE: we review each game after the game so this is a brief reminder.

2. Review any known information about the teams. If the weather is rainy and/or windy we discuss possible rule situations we should be aware. If there is a super player and some expectation of how he is covered, we discuss how to control the situation.

3. Look at possible coach behavior from known reports or past performances to determine how to handle the sidelines.

When we leave the locker room at 35 minutes before game time our objective is to know how we are planning to cover the game.

You do your entire pregame in 5 minutes?
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: short pregame

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland

You do your entire pregame in 5 minutes?
Let me correct myself, the pregame is 15 minutes -- pregame starts 50 minutes before game time -- and that is not enough. We are constrained by the fact our games are almost all Saturday afternoon and typically everyone will have a Saturday morning game at another location. I am planning to do something different next season maybe sending out a pregame memo during the week to make time in the locker room more effective.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

My high school association always wants us dressed 1.5 hours prior to KO.

Like all of the others, we discussed our keys and prior game problems, controversies and mechanics. We don't work crews until late in the season to prepare the crew for playoffs, so we discussed mechanics, and prior game discussions might last 15 or 20 minutes.

Also, like the others we are on the field 30 minutes prior to KO, to meet with coaches and attend administrators meeting.

Shawn
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Our pregame starts on the way to the game. We meet at a central location, then travel to the game to arrive as a crew.

1. In the vehicle, we discuss factors concerning the previous week's game(s), especially what needs to be improved from getting to the game on time (1.5 hours recommend by our association) to leaving the stadium feeling we all gave 100% or better. This includes discussing hypotheticals that may occur, reviewing FHSA test questions, newsletter scenarios, etc. Since joining Officials.com, I have also presented ,many of the scenarios from this web site for us to discuss what should be done and how we would handle the situation as a crew.

2. We also disucss what each of us has learned about the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams in the upcoming contest from our previous experiences with the programs, from other official's having previously worked a game participated in by either or both of the teams, especially, if other officials have worked the teams during the present year. This is key on our crew knowing how we are going to respond from the initial appraoch to the line of scrimmage to end of the down, prior to walking onto the field.

3. I have a written check list on a 5"x8" note card, that I use to make sure my bag is packed properly before leaving home/office. Once at the stadium and being dressed, I read the checklist aloud so that we have checked that we are all properly dressed and equipped, have a coin for the toss, informational cards for the coaches and PA about our crew, etc.

4. After looking over the field or discussing where the crew should enter the field with the AD, we discuss each our positions for kickoff, how we will professionally get ot the place and enter the field to do the pregame conference, as well as how where we will meet to exit the field at half time.

5. We then conclude pregame after the coin toss by meeting on the fifty yard line, giving each otherone last encouragement to have a good game, reminding each other to make sure "You see the ball, before you think about blowng the whistle", and then we run to our positions for kickoff.

As I stated on another thread about using a chain clip about the appearnace of not giving the coaches or fans a scintilla of doubt that you are giving them your best, applies to all aspects of the game. The more you do to communicate with each other as a crew, both on the field and by those that only the crew knows takes place (i.e. pregame and post game conferences), the more professional you will appear to those watching you officiate that game.

Old Mon Jan 13, 2003, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

I require my crew (we use crew system) to be onsite 2 hours before game time. One half hour to dress, one hour for pregame, and on field 30 minutes before game time.

My pregame concerns mechanics with a smattering of rules (If a rule question comes up, the offiical posing the questions gets his rule book out and find the answer and informs the rest of the crew.) Generally it goes like this:

"Greg (BJ) what are you doing on a KO?"
"I'm deep on the visitors side about 5 yards in front of the deepest reciever. I count the R team; signal 11 players to you (me as R). Makes sure players have mouthpieces and chin straps."

I ask each crew member for their responsibilities on KO. I then say that the "kick is away" and repeat the sequence. I will do this for every phase of the game, runs, passes, FGs, PATs. I have a section about pre snap duties - things you need to do before every snap. We will talk about measurments, reporting penalties, half time, general game duties ("see the entire paly with regard to holding, clipping, etc; communication inside the 30, 20, 10, 5; two sets of eyes on catches near the sideline and corners of the endzone."). At half time we will discuss OT proceedures if necessary.

At the end of the game, we will discuss what we did right and what we need to improve upon for next week. Several times during the season I will have the officials switch positions for the pregame. This is so each knows what the other is doing on particular plays. I believe this promotes team unity ("I know my back is covered!") and aid in the ability to step into a different position shoud one of the crew go down.