View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Our pregame starts on the way to the game. We meet at a central location, then travel to the game to arrive as a crew.

1. In the vehicle, we discuss factors concerning the previous week's game(s), especially what needs to be improved from getting to the game on time (1.5 hours recommend by our association) to leaving the stadium feeling we all gave 100% or better. This includes discussing hypotheticals that may occur, reviewing FHSA test questions, newsletter scenarios, etc. Since joining Officials.com, I have also presented ,many of the scenarios from this web site for us to discuss what should be done and how we would handle the situation as a crew.

2. We also disucss what each of us has learned about the strengths and weaknesses of the two teams in the upcoming contest from our previous experiences with the programs, from other official's having previously worked a game participated in by either or both of the teams, especially, if other officials have worked the teams during the present year. This is key on our crew knowing how we are going to respond from the initial appraoch to the line of scrimmage to end of the down, prior to walking onto the field.

3. I have a written check list on a 5"x8" note card, that I use to make sure my bag is packed properly before leaving home/office. Once at the stadium and being dressed, I read the checklist aloud so that we have checked that we are all properly dressed and equipped, have a coin for the toss, informational cards for the coaches and PA about our crew, etc.

4. After looking over the field or discussing where the crew should enter the field with the AD, we discuss each our positions for kickoff, how we will professionally get ot the place and enter the field to do the pregame conference, as well as how where we will meet to exit the field at half time.

5. We then conclude pregame after the coin toss by meeting on the fifty yard line, giving each otherone last encouragement to have a good game, reminding each other to make sure "You see the ball, before you think about blowng the whistle", and then we run to our positions for kickoff.

As I stated on another thread about using a chain clip about the appearnace of not giving the coaches or fans a scintilla of doubt that you are giving them your best, applies to all aspects of the game. The more you do to communicate with each other as a crew, both on the field and by those that only the crew knows takes place (i.e. pregame and post game conferences), the more professional you will appear to those watching you officiate that game.