The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year fellow officials...

I was reading the December 2002 issue of Referee magazine and was curious about the answer to question 4 (page 34).

Team A's ball 1st and 10 at their 20 yard line. A1 runs the ball and is hit and fumbles at his 23 yard line. The ball rolls out of bounds at A's 20 yard line.

Under NF rules, the correct answer should be A's ball 2nd and 10 at their 20 yard line. Clock starts on the snap.

The answer given is A's ball 2nd and 7 at the 20 yard line. Clock starts on the snap.

Any reason why the answer says 2nd and 7?
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Under NF rules, the correct answer should be A's ball 2nd and 10 at their 20 yard line. Clock starts on the snap.

The answer given is A's ball 2nd and 7 at the 20 yard line. Clock starts on the snap.

Any reason why the answer says 2nd and 7? [/B][/QUOTE]

The only reason I can think of it's one of the mistakes that happens once in a while in these quizzes . That or they've given A1 the benefit of his forward progress, which sure don't sound right to me. At least for NF .
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Probably just a misprint.

Doc
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

The answer should be 2nd and 7 at the 23. Clock starts on the snap.

On a fumble by A, the ball is spotted where it was last possessed if the ball is not recovered by A or B.

Before anyone asks, I'm not quoting this from any rule book but if someone looks it up, I'm sure you will find it (NFHS).

If I'm wrong, please correct me (as I know you all will).
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Wrong.

The short of it- it's where the ball goes out.

You might want to quote from some rulebook.

Derock- what if the ball rolled back and out of the side of the endzone? A still has it 2nd and 7 at the 23?!? Interesting.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
Wrong.

The short of it- it's where the ball goes out.

You might want to quote from some rulebook.

Derock- what if the ball rolled back and out of the side of the endzone? A still has it 2nd and 7 at the 23?!? Interesting.
Out of the endzone is not the same as OOB. Endzone would be a safety. What happens if the ball is fumbled forward OOB? I always thought you spot the ball where it was last in possession. If the ball is fumbled forward out of the side of B endzone then it would be a touch back.

If i'm wrong correct me. I've been wrong and corrected about everything else so at least you can say I have been consistently wrong (mostly because I can't find my rule book).
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

It's where the ball goes out. Period. You're right about the endzones- safety or touchback.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Andrew is correct, it is where the ball went out of bounds. The NCAA rules may be different from this. I am certainly not well versed in the NCAA rules, but I think it does have something to do with where it was last possessed. But not NFHs, its where it goes out.

As for the end zone, its a force issue. How it gets in the enzone has everything to do with how its called.

Doc
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewMcCarthy
It's where the ball goes out. Period. You're right about the endzones- safety or touchback.
Are you sure--NFHS???

I hate I don't have my rule book to refer to but I am almost certain you do not spot the ball where it goes out of bounds. A cannot gain yardage beyond the spot where it was lost if they do not recover the fumble.

If i'm wrong I guess I really do need to study my rule book more. I have been beat up so much in here, I'm really starting to second guess myself.
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Has he seen the light?!?!?!

If i'm wrong I guess I really do need to study my rule book more. I have been beat up so much in here, I'm really starting to second guess myself.

I never thought we'd see the day. LOL
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

If the ball is fumbled forward out of the side of B endzone then it would be a touch back.

If its fumbled out of the back of B's endzone, it is a touchback as well, not just the side.

Derock, you are truly and example of the Peter Principal.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 01:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986

On a fumble by A, the ball is spotted where it was last possessed if the ball is not recovered by A or B.

Before anyone asks, I'm not quoting this from any rule book but if someone looks it up, I'm sure you will find it (NFHS).

Derock, this post is in all sincerity and I mean you no harm or disrespect. I’m apologizing for all the negative comments and my unprofessional demeanor. But brother I’m asking you to please give us a break
I registered at this site in Sept of 2000. Its format and moderation has made it one of my favorites. Of all the ones I regularly post at this one has maintained the best decorum of the lot... I’ve not run across anything like your postings here or any other board for that matter since I started doing this. Every official I’ve seen post here the last two and a half years has shown all the integrity and professionalism expected from men and women pursuing this avocation. There are some of the most experienced and knowledgeable officials in this country posting at this site. This can’t be said about some other officials and fans posting at other boards. I come to this forum to study and learn how to officiate using NFHS rules. Many others do too. Then there are some who are interested in learning both NFHS and NCAA rules. Occationaly we even get someone asking about NFL rules or a fan asking for clarification about something they've seen on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday ball game. I'm wondering why you come here. What is it you're trying to contribute to this board? You tell us you read your book every year before the season starts then refer to it during the season when necessary . Are you reading the same one you got when you first started 7 years ago, or do you get one from your association ever year just like all the rest of us do? How and when do the officials in your association take their annual NFHS test? Do you take the NFHS test open or closed book? And what’s the lowest score Maryland will accept for certification? You must know this as you've told us you could have worked HS ball if you'd wanted too. If you were posting to every thread at this board for learning purposes or if you even had a post where you were asking about something you’re not sure of and need clarification I’d commend your enthusiasm. But you’re shooting from the hip and giving fanatic rulings aren’t helping you or anyone here one bit.
Derock , My daddy used to tell me it’s better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you a fool , then to open it and remove all doubt . Take some time and just read the posts. Then ask some questions. Stop trying to teach. You’ll build credibility a lot faster that way. Some integrity might follow. And then I stop getting all wound up and go back to my happy place 8^)

Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil
Quote:
Originally posted by Derock1986

Derock, this post is in all sincerity and I mean you no harm or disrespect. I’m apologizing for all the negative comments and my unprofessional demeanor. But brother I’m asking you to please give us a break
I registered at this site in Sept of 2000. Its format and moderation has made it one of my favorites. Of all the ones I regularly post at this one has maintained the best decorum of the lot... I’ve not run across anything like your postings here or any other board for that matter since I started doing this. Every official I’ve seen post here the last two and a half years has shown all the integrity and professionalism expected from men and women pursuing this avocation. There are some of the most experienced and knowledgeable officials in this country posting at this site. This can’t be said about some other officials and fans posting at other boards. I come to this forum to study and learn how to officiate using NFHS rules. Many others do too. Then there are some who are interested in learning both NFHS and NCAA rules. Occationaly we even get someone asking about NFL rules or a fan asking for clarification about something they've seen on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday ball game. I'm wondering why you come here. What is it you're trying to contribute to this board? You tell us you read your book every year before the season starts then refer to it during the season when necessary . Are you reading the same one you got when you first started 7 years ago, or do you get one from your association ever year just like all the rest of us do? How and when do the officials in your association take their annual NFHS test? Do you take the NFHS test open or closed book? And what’s the lowest score Maryland will accept for certification? You must know this as you've told us you could have worked HS ball if you'd wanted too. If you were posting to every thread at this board for learning purposes or if you even had a post where you were asking about something you’re not sure of and need clarification I’d commend your enthusiasm. But you’re shooting from the hip and giving fanatic rulings aren’t helping you or anyone here one bit.
Derock , My daddy used to tell me it’s better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you a fool , then to open it and remove all doubt . Take some time and just read the posts. Then ask some questions. Stop trying to teach. You’ll build credibility a lot faster that way. Some integrity might follow. And then I stop getting all wound up and go back to my happy place 8^)

Mr Neil,
I didn't know this forum was reserved for those who wish to teach others the rules. It is my understanding of forums to be places where all can come and share open free communication on items of shared interest. I didn't come here to teach nor be taught. You probably can learn a few things here but I certainly would not take any posts from a forum as factual information without verifying it through a more credible source.

I initially sought out this forum because I had a situation occur in a game and I wasn't certain on the correct ruling. Not being able to find my rule book, I thought I could find my answer online. Before posting in this forum, I thought I had a thorough understanding of the rules. I shared my experiences here with the guys on my crew and they all laughed after finding out that I am considered the least knowledgeable and most controversial of all the officials who post here.

Honestly, I still do believe I have a thorough understanding of the rules but the forum has convinced me that I need to study more. The reason why I need to study is apparent from my posts--to build creditibility and respect amongst other officials. I maintain that I know enough about the rules to officiate in any game under NFHS rules but being respected by ones peers is also important.

Every year the officials in my association receive a current year NFHS rule book. We have a preseason conference to discuss NFHS rules, training camp for new officials, county rule differences, and other things. We even had a well-known NFL official (R) at our conference this past year. The state of Maryland does not require you to be certified as an official for youth but our association does issue a 100 question, open-book test.

I tried to answer all of your questions but if I didn't I apologize. I will attempt to answer all questions directed towards me but I will also continue to post freely in this forum my views, comments, opinions and experiences as a youth official under NFHS rules.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I'm curious about something...

Derock, I'm curious about something. Now, before I ask my question, I want you to know that I am NOT trying to blast you. I know there are a lot of other guys on this forum who really have an utter disdain for you. I really don't have those same feelings. In fact, if I wanted, I could just ignore everything you say and read everything else. I don't do that, I read everyone's posts. But what I want to know is this, why don't you want to do high school games? That really puzzles me. I'm sure it puzzles everyone else too.

Allow me to give you an example of how my season runs. This year I did 100 football games. I officiated way more games than anyone else in my district. Here is how I did it. An average week for me.
Monday----Youth doubleheader
Tuesday----Youth doubleheader
Wednesday---No football, church night
Thursday---Middle school/JV (doubleheader about 50%)
Friday----High school varsity game
Saturday---Youth (varies, usually 3-5 games)
Sunday----No football, church

At the end of the year, I always do as many Youth playoffs as I can. This year I did a bunch of them.

Here's my point of view. I love football, almost more than anything else. I eat, sleep, and drink football. But if someone told me that I had to give up my Friday night game and only do the other stuff, I would most likely quit. Its like eating a big meal and then NOT getting your dessert. I love youth football, I do a ton of it. But, there's just something about being on that field on friday night in front of THOUSANDS of fans. Rather than on a field thats barely marked properly and maybe 20-30 fans. I work my tail off to do the best job I possibly can, no matter what level of play it is. But, I couldn't imagine not doing the Varsity game. Its a totally different feeling. My co-workers tell me that I'm a different person on friday afternoons. I know why, its because long about 2:00 in the afternoon I'm beginning to get my "game face" on. Just like a player, an official gets excited about doing the nice games.

Again, sorry for the long post. But Derock, why is it that you've been doing this for 7 years and have no desire to do Varsity games? Seriously, it shouldn't be about money. Because I made a bunch this year, and you can see my schedule above. I even had an opportunity to do a Youth tournament real late in the season. It started on Dec.7th. I decided to NOT do it. The reason was because the tournament started the same day the South Carolina High School state finals were to be played. No, I didn't have a state final, but I wanted to go and watch. And, so I balked on doing some youth games. Seriously, Derock, why don't you want to do Varsity games??

Doc
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: I'm curious about something...

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMooreReferee
Seriously, Derock, why don't you want to do Varsity games??

Doc
Its not that I don't want to do them, I am just comfortable with doing youth. The time/days of the games fit perfectly into my schedule and I make more money doing youth (at least this is what I hear from officials in my association who gave up varsity to do youth). Don't get me wrong, I love the game of football and would probably officiate most of my games for free but having extra cash around Christmas time is certainly an added incentive. The thought of doing varsity does excite me and I may pursue it one day strictly for the new challenges it will bring but for now I'm content with just doing youth.