The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA Fumble Rule

I was watching a video of Arkansas and Tennessee in 1998. Clint Stoerner fumbles the ball at the end of the game to give the ball to Tennessee. While turning around he lost his balance and started falling to the ground, the ball hit the ground while in his hand and came loose. Should this have been ruled down or a fumble since the ground cannot cause a fumble? Please give a good explanation using NCAA rules, I have provided a link to watch it, the fumble occurs a the the 2:50 mark in the video. Thanks for the help.

YouTube - Stumbled and Fumbled
Old Tue Dec 28, 2010, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure how it could have been ruled down. Nothing touches the ground but his feet and the ball.

Go Vols!
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

One of the most common, and most wrong, cliches in the game is "the ground cannot cause a fumble". The ground certainly CAN cause a fumble in some situations as it did here. The ground CANNOT cause a fumble when some part of the ball carrier's body other than his feet or hands touches the griound and the ball comes loose as his body part touches. In the video clip, did any part of the runner's body touch the ground other than his feet or hands? No. So no fumble.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 01:32am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
One of the most common, and most wrong, cliches in the game is "the ground cannot cause a fumble". The ground certainly CAN cause a fumble in some situations as it did here. The ground CANNOT cause a fumble when some part of the ball carrier's body other than his feet or hands touches the griound and the ball comes loose as his body part touches. In the video clip, did any part of the runner's body touch the ground other than his feet or hands? No. So no fumble.
When people usually say that, they are not talking about when a player considered down by rule. I really never understand why folks give a hoot, it is just a saying.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
When people usually say that, they are not talking about when a player considered down by rule. I really never understand why folks give a hoot, it is just a saying.

Peace
People who understand the rules don't like it because it is a statement which isn't true all of the time. It causes confusion to people who actually think the ground can't cause a fumble when situations like this come up.

This type of situation is more common in the NFL where a player can trip and fall, without B tackling him, and fumble after he has hit the ground as the down does not end just because the runner is on the ground.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

And in that NFL situation, the ground CAN cause a fumble.
Old Wed Dec 29, 2010, 05:08pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
since the ground cannot cause a fumble
This is right up there with 1) the hands are part of the bat, 2) I did not have sexual relations with that woman, and 3) Oswald acted alone.

Old Thu Dec 30, 2010, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the ground cannot cause a fumble
Since you are asserting the truth of this, do you have a rules citation?

(Hint: the ground has NOTHING to do with whether it is a fumble.)
Old Fri Dec 31, 2010, 09:12am
Chain of Fools

I was at that game BTW. UT was absolutely beat and we were gathering up our stuff to leave. I remember a UT fan sitting above me that was absolutely drained at the end of the game. We helped his wife get the kids down to the concourse as he looked like a zombie.

I used to have a copy of that saved on my old PC from CBS Sportsline. Hadn't even thought to look on You Tube.