The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Hand grenade play revisited

This PowerPoint presentation from the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) covers the following:
2010 NFHS Football Rules Changes-
2010 NFHS Football Editorial Changes-
2010 NFHS Football Points of Emphasis-
2010 NFHS Football Rules Reminders-
2010-11 NFHS Football Information-

Slide #37
SPORTSMANSHIP:
The NFHS Football Rules Committee has once again made Sportsmanship a point of emphasis for the 2010 football season and wants to extend the focus to include the public address announcers who have influence on the sporting atmosphere at all contests. In order for sports to serve a purpose in the educational system, students must obtain positive educational benefits from participation in the game. Players, coaches, officials, cheerleaders, game announcers, students and spectators all play a vital role in the promotion of good sportsmanship. It is essential that all individuals involved understand that the playing field is an extension of the classroom. Therefore, values such as respect for self and others, fairness, self-discipline and responsibility must be an integral part of the high school game. Everyone needs to take a part in developing and implementing these fundamental values by setting and reinforcing clear expectations at practice and on the playing field.

Acts that are intended to engender ill will toward individuals, have no place in the educational activities. The rules clearly outline that unsportsmanlike conduct includes, but is not limited to:
• any “baiting” or “taunting” acts
• acts such as diving into the end zone with no defender present
• excessive face painting or marking of equipment
• inappropriate language that attacks one’s ethnicity, race, religion, sex or disability
• use of disconcerting gestures
• one or more back flips
• jump shooting a football as though it were a basketball
• dunking or attempting to dunk a football over the crossbar
• interacting with spectators
• bringing attention to one’s self through choreographed movements and displays of symbolic gestures and signs
• standing with crossed arms on chest
• strutting back and forth.

These must be penalized immediately as unsporting acts per the NFHS Football Rules Book.

The rules also extend to any acts or excessive celebrations involving the entire team. Team rituals performed at any time including prior to and following games that are designed to intimidate, embarrass, ridicule or demean others should not be tolerated. Each state association is encouraged to develop policies that clearly define application of the rules to these situations.

Since coaches are the most influential persons in teaching good sportsmanship, one of their fundamental responsibilities is to inspire players to conduct themselves in a manner which best represents the values of high school sports. Coaches must stress respect for opposing players and not tolerate conduct that demeans or embarrasses the opponent.

School assemblies involving cheerleaders, pep groups and other student leaders can provide opportunities for informing students and adult spectators of their responsibility to uphold the standards of good sportsmanship conduct before, during and after games.

In summary:
• Individuals, regardless of their roles in athletics, are expected to be aware of their influence on the behavior of others and act in a responsible manner at all times.
• Coaches, players, cheerleaders, announcers, students, officials and spectators must make an extra effort to model the type of behavior that illustrates the educational values of interscholastic athletics.
• Good sportsmanship maintains an educational perspective and can be exhibited by:
• understanding the game and following the rules of the contest at all times;
• managing behavior at all times by exercising self-control;
• shaking hands with opponents prior to and/or after the contest;
• appreciating skilled performances regardless of school affiliation;
• exhibiting respect for officials and accepting and abiding by their decisions;
• being a good host to opponents;
• displaying pride in your actions at all time;
• losing without excuses and winning without boasting.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Was there a question, BJ?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

What's the hand grenade play?
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
What's the hand grenade play?
My understanding: A player celebration where a group of players form a circle, 1 player pulls an imaginary hand grenade pin causing an imaginary explosion whereby all the players in the circle fall to the ground in unison. Of course variations are limited only by the imagination and creativity of players.

All we need to understand is NF: 9-5-1c; "No player shall act in an Unsportsmanlike manner...(c) Any delayed, excessive or prolonged act by which a player attempts to focus attention on himself.". The key to application of this rule is that the determination of what exactly constitutes "delayed, excessive or prolonged" has been placed in the hands of and rests ENTIRELY with the covering official and is not subject to review, debate or discussion with anyone else.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

my understanding of the hand-grenade "play" vs some stupid celebration is:

typically on a kick off, receiver comes in with a number of R's into a small group, group then "bursts" for the return making it difficult for K to determine which one of them now has the ball. Seen it a couple times (mostly far below varsity level) never producing much of a benefit. Sometimes called the "starburst" or some other equally stupid name.

No idea what this has to do with BJ's post. I usually don't equate choreographed celebrations as "plays", although their is some bad acting, costumes, and the best outdoor stages involved

Last edited by Mike L; Wed Oct 27, 2010 at 11:09am.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

There were some on this site that thought the hand grenade celebration did not warrant a flag and there was some discussion as to who got the USC. Just posting what I was told at the rules interpretation meeting that I am required to attend.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

typically on a kick off, receiver comes in with a number of R's into a small group, group then "bursts" for the return making it difficult for K to determine which one of them now has the ball. Seen it a couple times (mostly far below varsity level) never producing much of a benefit. Sometimes called the "starburst" or some other equally stupid name.

No idea what this has to do with BJ's post. I usually don't equate choreographed celebrations as "plays", although their is some bad acting involved
There is also a few teams in our area that initiate their free kick in this format. All huddled around the kicker with ball on the tee. Whistle sounds and team blasts out of the huddle, runs toward kick line and kicker kicks ball.
No harm, no foul.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post

No idea what this has to do with BJ's post. I usually don't equate choreographed celebrations as "plays", although their is some bad acting involved
There are also a few teams in our area that initiate their free kick in this format. All huddled around the kicker with ball on the tee. Whistle sounds and team blasts out of the huddle, runs toward kick line and kicker kicks ball.

No harm, no foul.
Old Wed Oct 27, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

grenade DEMO

Heh...I took it to refer to what some call a "grenade pass", which is a dumb name for what's more descriptively called the flapjack pass.

How about you refer to "grenade demonstration" so nobody gets the idea you're referring to an actual play that you consider beyond the pale?