The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
The advice says "often" not always. There is a news video of this incident on the NFHS forum wherein the quoted Officials Assocciation spokesperson really makes himself and his association look like horse's backsides. The more he explained his position the more ridiculous and pompous he looked. The position they took is really dumb and excessive down to the gnat's eyelash level.

The problem with any "Zero Tolerance" application of any rule is that it removes the judgment factor from decision making which usually produces some sort of really stupid, extreme conclusion, from time to time, such as this one.

I don't know about the specific language of the local Official's Association, but I can tell you there is no specification for whistle color in the NFHS manuals. Sometimes in life, rules for adults don't necessarily extend to children, and vice versa, and that's just the way life is.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 02:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Wouldn't it be a shame if none of the officials in the area decided to be available for the playoffs?

Absolutely stupid, control freak behavior. Someone needs a lesson in public relations. But Toad did something that is pretty hard to do -- rally everyone around the officials involved.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

If the "idea" comes from his office, he gets the recognition, now that he doesn't, he's throwing a hissy fit.

Just the kind of guy I want leading my group....

I am mailing my two pink whistles to Todd this afternoon. He can stick them wherever it may be appropriate.
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with all three of you.

Somebody above this guy needs to jerk a knot in his a$$ and say, "Will you just shut up!"

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 03:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have met Todd too at a conference in our state in 2009. I think they have missed an opportunity here. If they did not like the pink whistles, then just give the officials a way to use them. This has nothing to do with the kids (and if I hear that one more time I am going to scream). Every level and multiple sports use some sort of awareness for Breast Cancer symbols and the officials are involved in just about every sport. Come on guys, it is not about a rule, it is about awareness. If they are not following a policy, just inform them. Did the game change because an official had a pink whistle? It is not like they wore different shirts or socks. They just had a whistle??

Very disappointed in that people do not get it sometimes.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 22, 2010, 11:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

We all ought to mail him a pink whistle.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 08:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Unless the state said "no pink whistles" in advance (like NC), exactly what are they basing this "decision" on? The NFHS manual only says "whistles" without reference to a color.
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 09:06am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Unless the state said "no pink whistles" in advance (like NC), exactly what are they basing this "decision" on? The NFHS manual only says "whistles" without reference to a color.
Only thing I could think is they have a policy that the whistles must be black. Their policy always trumps anything in that manual, but I had a friend claim there is more to the story. Not sure what that is but I still think the WOA is overreacting to a situation that really is not a big deal.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Well,

I have sent Todd an e-mail and asked if he would like to be interviewed for the NFHS banner magazine High School Today and explain his statements more fully to educators, school board members and superintendents across America.

Let's see if he'll man-up and accept my invite.

T
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

I just received the following from Todd:

Quote:
"The media coverage was orchestrated by a member of the PNFOA. There is little truth to the story. The sound bites they used support their issue. This is not about pink whistles. I stated to them before this event happened that "the officials would not be penalized for using pink whistles". The issue WOA has with PNFOA is that this is not the first time they have ignored a rule, regulation, or interpretation and done what they wanted to do. Since Thursday's story, I have had four associations discussing that they will not adhere to four other rules, regulations, or interpretations because if PNFOA can do it why can't we? I think the four other groups have a solid argument. There is a process in place that PNFOA could have requested a change in the interpretation. They made a decision to not go through the process and "accept the penalty for not doing so". Rather than accepting the penalty for not following process (as they stated to me), one of their officials took the issue to his day job and made the issue about the WOA against pink whistles. If we were against pink whistles, why would four other sports be able to use pink whistles?

"The WOA has a track record of supporting awareness programs: Blue Flag Tribute for Prostate Cancer Awareness - football officials use blue flags the third week of the season. Our basketball, volleyball, wrestling and soccer officials use pink whistles for Breast Cancer Awareness (our volleyball officials even wear pink polo shirts). As well as the other community based programs where officials donate a game check to a local cause. We encourage officials to look for these opportunities, all that we ask is that they do it in a professional and responsible way.

"If you would like to discuss this issue further, please call me on Monday."
Old Sat Oct 23, 2010, 12:34pm
Archaic Power Monger

Approval? Really? They can't let this be just a local issue?
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Just as I suspected....

If it's on the local level, they (he) do not (does not) get the recognition.
Old Sun Oct 24, 2010, 11:02am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Nothing against you guys but the whole pink thing is pretty stupid. If you want to help breast cancer then make a donation; don't rely on some company to make a donation, and don't just use some random thing which is pink and think that you are helping.
The whole point is that awareness initiatives raise more money by encouraging others to donate as well.

Yep, we could just donate our game fee; or we could do that and wear a pink whistle (or shirt or whatever) and publicize our efforts, thus encouraging spectators to donate as well.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Agreed. I have a white one that I won as a prize at a clinic. Rarely, if ever, gets used....sub whistle on occasion for someone who forgot or breaks theirs. Should I not be using it? Ridiclulous.
I know some pretty good officials who work all the way to the state finals here every year and more than one uses a Roy Gonia bright orange dog hunting whistle.
Old Mon Oct 25, 2010, 10:03am
Esteemed Participant

Since those of you who are bashing on Todd do not live in Washington State, let me take a moment here to tell some of you to lighten up. You heard/read one side of the issue - a very slanted side, I might add. One of the officials involved works for the tv station that ran the story - they taped almost 25 min. of interview with Todd, and then whacked it down to several short sound bites to make him look like the bad guy.

Short story - there is a process in place to apply for a waiver of the WOA policies. The PNFOA did not follow that process - and has violated many other policies of the WIAA/WOA over the last several years. This is not the first issue where they have done their own thing and told the WIAA and the WOA to stick it. If they lose playoff berths over this, they knew it beforehand and chose to forge ahead anyway.

It is not about the pink whistles or not supporting breast cancer. It is about one local association in the State trying to tell the State Association to take a hike, over and over. And now that it has come back to bite them in the butt, they run to the media...and people who know nothing about the situation inundate Todd Stordahl with e-mails and pink whistles because they believe what they see in the media without taking the time to get the whole story.