The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

White Hats

When you have a flag down do you ask for captains or look at the coach to see what he wants to do?
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

the way I do it....

1) just move the obvious.

2) look to coach for everything else.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
the way I do it....

1) just move the obvious.

2) look to coach for everything else.
Totally agree, and when we meet the coaches before the game that is exactly what I tell them.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Below JV level I look to the coach on the sideline. In JV and Varsity I always explain to the captain his options.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio, our state policy is that for 98% of penalties the choice is obvious. Don't ask, just enforce it and get on with the game.

For the remaining 2%, we check with the coach via the wing official on his side.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, and a good and timely preliminary signal greatly expedites this process and choice for coaches...I give the prelim signal as soon as the flagging official tells me what he has. After sorting it out things may change but at least the coaches know what they are dealing with.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2010, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quickly think in your mind if you were a captain what would be your choice and if the answer is obvious present it to the captain.

Usually, the tricky options are a penalty by the offense on third down where the line to gain was not reached, do they want to penalize A and give them another third down play or decline and make it fourth. The DC knows what he thinks his defense can do and that is a good time to turn toward the bench if you have not already.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

White Hats

Our crew goes directly to the Head Coach...case closed. The players have enough to worry about on the field.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

We go to the captain and if the decision is difficult we ask them with the coach in their view. But we always have the captain involved.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 09:41pm
M.A.S.H.

Which option do you give first? Or does it depend?

I've been refereeing underclass games.

As I recall, it seems I usually tell them the result of the play first (if they decline) and then what would happen if they accept the penalty.

Right, wrong, way off base, or somewhat on the path?
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
When a decision is needed I'll explain the options to the captains while facing the captain's bench so the coach can hear our conversation. I'll also have the wing official relay the choices to the coach. I'll then ask the captain to look at his coach.

My talk with the captains is pretty basic, "There was holding on the play. If you accept the penalty is will be 3rd down and 14. If you decline the penalty it will be 4th down and 3."

The coach will hear, "3rd and 14 or 4th and 3?"
Old Thu Oct 07, 2010, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have found it over the years that it is less confusing for me and the captain if I begin by saying "If you decline the penalty..." then they get the result of the play...after that I say "if you accept the penatly then...
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
When a decision is needed I'll explain the options to the captains while facing the captain's bench so the coach can hear our conversation. I'll also have the wing official relay the choices to the coach. I'll then ask the captain to look at his coach.

Respect is a two way street, and I've found that sometimes the best friend you will find on a football field (outside your crewmates) is Team Captains. They have been selected for that position and by that selection have earned OUR respect.

NF:2-32-5-c designates the Captain as the team representative during, "Penalty decisions following a foul".

On non complicated or obvious options, after giving a preliminary signal towards the offended sideline, I explain options to the Captain in the simplest, clearest terms (like 3rd & 14 or 4th & 3). I give him a reasonable opportunity to think about it, which may include looking to his coach for guidance (who if he was paying attention knows what's going on because of my preliminary signal).

If he should make what I consider a bad choice, I'll assume I wasn't clear enough in my explanation and go over the options again, hopefully clearer. If he wants help or advice I'll allow him to look to his sideline for help, but I give him the respect he has earned to make the judgment.

When it's a complicated decision or situation, I'll steer the Captain to a place for my explanation that what I say can be overheard by his sideline. Again, the decision as to whether or not he needs, or wants, assistance in making the call is his to make by virtue of his being selected as Captain, not mine.

I've never had a problem with a coach hearing my explanations, when they needed to be heard, and will take as much time as needed until the Captain understands the options he's confronted with. I've found Captains, who have been treated with proper respect in front of their teammates and sideline, to be really helpful when situations start to turn brown and their assistance may be needed.

Last edited by ajmc; Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:44am.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

look for guidance at upper levels

In the NFL, where the captains of each team should be as knowlegeable about the game of football as anyone, the Referees look to the sidelines for penalty acceptance or declination. Why on earth would we expect a teenage kid to make a decision when adults in his position at upper levels aren't consulted...I am all for asking the coaches, and I think that it should be a change in the rulebook to at the very least allow this....
Old Fri Oct 08, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post

Respect is a two way street, and I've found that sometimes the best friend you will find on a football field (outside your crewmates) is Team Captains. They have been selected for that position and by that selection have earned OUR respect.

NF:2-32-5-c designates the Captain as the team representative during, "Penalty decisions following a foul".

On non complicated or obvious options, after giving a preliminary signal towards the offended sideline, I explain options to the Captain in the simplest, clearest terms (like 3rd & 14 or 4th & 3). I give him a reasonable opportunity to think about it, which may include looking to his coach for guidance.

If he should make what I consider a bad choice, I'll assume I wasn't clear enough in my explanation and go over the options again, hopefully clearer. If he wants help or advice I'll allow him to look to his sideline for help, but I give him the respect he has earned to make the judgment.

When it's a complicated decision or situation, I'll steer the Captain to a place for my explanation that what I say can be overheard by his sideline. Again, the decision as to whether or not he needs, or wants, assistance in making the call is his to make, not mine.

I've never had a problem with a coach hearing my explanations, when they needed to be heard, and I've found Captains, who have been treated with respect, to be really helpful when situations start to turn brown.