The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:26pm
Official Forum Member

I've been white hatting this year as our regular white hat is off this year to watch his son - a senior. At our state clinic the consensus was that white hats are 10 yards deep and 45 degree angle away.

I've been experimenting at JV level and find I'm more comfortable about 12-13 yards deep, getting a better view of everything.

Where do you white hats position yourselves?
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

A white hat is best positioned on your head, with the brim pointing straight out and parallel to the ground.

"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

I WH and I go on feel. By this I mean if you have a team that is passing team or shotgun then you need to adjust accordingly. Always postion yourself on the throwing arm side of the qb. This allows you better to see the ball and his throwing action or nonthrowing action on fumble/incomplete calls.

I like to keep my distance say 8-10 yards away from the qb to see the entirety on the play and also not to get caught up in a wild scramble.

At the start of the play i line up probably 10-12 yards deep and on obvious passing downs 15 yards deep. Like to be able to see the ball as the center snaps to help out on movement by the backs.

I know every state is different and each official has their own system no matter their position.

I feel that it is better to keep your distance a little so you have a wider angle of things that are happening. If you get to close it really narrows your field of vision.
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Far enough away

I take a position 12-15 yards behind the LOS, about as far out as the TE.

I try to be on the passers throwing side, but sometimes when the ball is spotted on the right hashmark, it tends to be too close to the sideline for me.
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Mon Oct 04, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

I agree but let me just point out one thing, one field goal attempts stay wide, it can look really bad to get caught in a PAT/FG which has a bad snap. Good luck out there.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 03:42am
Official Forum Member

Approx. 5-7 yds behind the deepest back and on the outside shoulder of the TE (or where he would be if he is on the other side) on the throwing arm side of the QB, is where I usually line up.
Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

I would agree with your deeper position and with width being in line with where the tight end is or would be.

While concentrating on the QB you are also responsible for the initial charge of the defense through the opposite guard and tackle of the offense, i.e., looking through at that 45 degree angle.

Old Tue Oct 05, 2004, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I might be a little deeper too, if the team has shown a propensity for reverses and end-arounds. But in general, 10 yards "feels" about right to me, most of the time.