The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 12:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

White hats and mildew?

I bought a batch of 4 Richardson FlexFit white hats for this season.

3 of them are ruined already. I put my hats in a cap caddy to keep them from being crushed (the first few weeks I used a closed caddy, this past week I used one that was designed to wash hats) and by the time I pull my hats out of my bag at home, they have pinkish-red spots on the front of the caps.

This is getting frustrating for me. For the first time ever, I'm going to need to order another batch of hats to get through the season. I will not go onto a Friday night field without a bright white hat, so I tend to (normally) order 5 or so each season as it is.

Perhaps there's a better choice of hat for me that the wool flex-fits? Is there something I can do to keep them from mildewing? I could keep them out of my bag, I suppose, but I don't want to have them crushed, plus I like having everything in a bag when I arrive and leave.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 12:18pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I bought a batch of 4 Richardson FlexFit white hats for this season.

3 of them are ruined already. I put my hats in a cap caddy to keep them from being crushed (the first few weeks I used a closed caddy, this past week I used one that was designed to wash hats) and by the time I pull my hats out of my bag at home, they have pinkish-red spots on the front of the caps.

This is getting frustrating for me. For the first time ever, I'm going to need to order another batch of hats to get through the season. I will not go onto a Friday night field without a bright white hat, so I tend to (normally) order 5 or so each season as it is.

Perhaps there's a better choice of hat for me that the wool flex-fits? Is there something I can do to keep them from mildewing? I could keep them out of my bag, I suppose, but I don't want to have them crushed, plus I like having everything in a bag when I arrive and leave.
What's strange is that I bought a few of these last season and none of them got mildewed like this. No change in how I handle the hats, either. Perplexing. At least if I wore a black hat, these little spots wouldn't show.
Old Sat Sep 18, 2010, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a new bag for the season (a monster, btw) that has its on cap compartment. Right now I don't have a cap frame -- looking for one that's open like you have -- but I don't zip the compartment closed after a game. Believe me, my hat is as wet as one I'd take in the shower.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I bought a new bag for the season (a monster, btw) that has its on cap compartment. Right now I don't have a cap frame -- looking for one that's open like you have -- but I don't zip the compartment closed after a game. Believe me, my hat is as wet as one I'd take in the shower.
When you get home, put dryer sheets in the sweatband and it will dry out the hat and also keep it from smelling funky.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 08:39am
Chain of Fools

I use the $2 cap buddies from Wal-mart or other discount store. After a game I put it in the cap holder and hang it up to dry. If Saturday is nice, I try to hang them outside in the sun.

If the new hats haven't been worn, sounds as if where you are storing your gear is too damp. Either move the hats to somewhere drier or you need a dehumidfier or a tub or two of Damp Rid (also available form Walmart et al).

I collect caps and use the basic snap lid plastic storage boxes to keep them. I save the silica packs from empty boxes of things I've bought and place in them in with the hats. The silica gel (little packs that say Do Not Eat) are used to combat moisture until you get the items home from the store.

If you know someone that has a camera shop, they should have a bunch of large silica packs just lying around from stuff shipped in. They might just give them to you if you ask.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 09:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I use the $2 cap buddies from Wal-mart or other discount store. After a game I put it in the cap holder and hang it up to dry. If Saturday is nice, I try to hang them outside in the sun.

If the new hats haven't been worn, sounds as if where you are storing your gear is too damp. Either move the hats to somewhere drier or you need a dehumidfier or a tub or two of Damp Rid (also available form Walmart et al).

I collect caps and use the basic snap lid plastic storage boxes to keep them. I save the silica packs from empty boxes of things I've bought and place in them in with the hats. The silica gel (little packs that say Do Not Eat) are used to combat moisture until you get the items home from the store.

If you know someone that has a camera shop, they should have a bunch of large silica packs just lying around from stuff shipped in. They might just give them to you if you ask.
Thanks. No, the spots only happen after I wear the hats and they get wet.

I will try to take better care of the next batch. But it's strange -- the hats I bought last season (same Richardson hats, I think) have not had a lick of these pinkish spots. Just the usual dirt and wear from the season (and we had some rainy, muddy games last season). I wonder if this Cool Dry material has something to do with the difference.
Old Sun Sep 19, 2010, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Thanks. No, the spots only happen after I wear the hats and they get wet.

I will try to take better care of the next batch. But it's strange -- the hats I bought last season (same Richardson hats, I think) have not had a lick of these pinkish spots. Just the usual dirt and wear from the season (and we had some rainy, muddy games last season). I wonder if this Cool Dry material has something to do with the difference.
You're probably aware that apparel manufacturers change suppliers at the drop of a hat (and a fraction of a penny per unit). Could be that the guy in Viet Nam or Laos or Haiti gave the buyer a better deal than the guy in China. And different materials provide different mold resistance.

Their website notes that their products are "sourced throughout the world."