The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Legal "trick" plays?

Yeah, I think we've discussed these all in the past, but I just wanted to double check myself.

SIT 1: On try, after the RFP, A1 yells to team, "Hold up." Then yells as moving toward the sideline, "Coach, let me get the kicking tee." As B relaxes, A snaps the ball to A2.

SIT 2: On play, A1 says loudly to snapper, "We've got the wrong ball." Then snapper hands the ball to A1, via a legal but different snap. A1 walks to the sideline with ball and then turns up field for a long run.

SIT3: With 30 seconds in the first half, A coach yells, "Take a knee." In (a) A1 responds, "Take a knee! Take a knee!" Or in (b) A1 does not respond to coach. In either case, A1 does a little dip, but never touches his knee to the ground but instead stays standing and throws for a long pass.

Rulings for FED?
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm game to have a stab at these as I need to brush up on my Fed knowledge before my trip to Detroit/Ann Arbor later this Fall. I don't have the absolute latest Rule and case books so my references might be a bit out.

1. A foul. That one sounds just like Case Book 9-9-4 Situation B.

2. A foul. Another one covered by 9-9-4.

3. Not seen such a play discussed here before but my guess would be certainly a foul in 3a and probably a foul in 3b.
Old Thu Sep 09, 2010, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
Yeah, I think we've discussed these all in the past, but I just wanted to double check myself.

SIT 1: On try, after the RFP, A1 yells to team, "Hold up." Then yells as moving toward the sideline, "Coach, let me get the kicking tee." As B relaxes, A snaps the ball to A2.

SIT 2: On play, A1 says loudly to snapper, "We've got the wrong ball." Then snapper hands the ball to A1, via a legal but different snap. A1 walks to the sideline with ball and then turns up field for a long run.

SIT3: With 30 seconds in the first half, A coach yells, "Take a knee." In (a) A1 responds, "Take a knee! Take a knee!" Or in (b) A1 does not respond to coach. In either case, A1 does a little dip, but never touches his knee to the ground but instead stays standing and throws for a long pass.

Rulings for FED?
1 & 2 are illegal.

On 3, I've got real poor eye sight. Looked like his knee touched the ground to me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post

Rulings for FED?
If I think it is a situation that the offense might take a knee I will asked the coach and if he says he is taking a knee he better take a knee. If there is just talk back and forth from the a player to a coach and I can't confirm than I will assume they are running a play. If you want help from the crew controlling the situaiton you can clue us in.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

COMMENT: Football has been and
always will be a game of deception and trickery involving multiple shifts, unusual
formations and creative plays. However, actions or verbiage designed to confuse
the defense into believing there is problem and a snap isn’t imminent is
beyond the scope of sportsmanship and is illegal.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

In 3(a), isn't he declaring that they are taking a knee, and so wouldn't you kill the play once his knee even got near the ground?
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

For NCAA.

1. Illegal
2. Illegal
3. The ball becomes dead when a player simulates placing a knee on the ground. If he don't simulate, then it's a legal play.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Jason: USC on 1 and 2?

On three, as an R, if they tell me they are taking a knee, I'm blowing it dead after the snap. I'll just say IW if they protest and let the clock run. I also liberalize the word, simulate.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Jason: USC on 1 and 2?

On three, as an R, if they tell me they are taking a knee, I'm blowing it dead after the snap. I'll just say IW if they protest and let the clock run. I also liberalize the word, simulate.
Yes. USC on 1 and 2. I don't like to get involved with any plays the offense calls. I just caution the defense that they need to be real careful if he takes a knee. The defense still has a right to make a play so if we are getting involved in shutting it down before it's dead by rule, then we have taken away an oppurtunity from the defense.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:34am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
For NCAA.

1. Illegal
2. Illegal
3. The ball becomes dead when a player simulates placing a knee on the ground. If he don't simulate, then it's a legal play.
Agreed. 1 and 2 are unfair acts. For number 3, I love that the NCAA has this rule.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
In 3(a), isn't he declaring that they are taking a knee, and so wouldn't you kill the play once his knee even got near the ground?
I would and I do.

I always tell the defense that they are taking a knee and to be smart.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2010, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Agreed. 1 and 2 are unfair acts. For number 3, I love that the NCAA has this rule.
For completeness sake, the NFL has a similar rule which says the play is over when the QB simulates taking a knee. Surprised this isn't the rule for FED as well.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2010, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
I don't have the absolute latest Rule and case books ...
I saw it in this year's case book as 9-9-1, but thanks for pointing me there. I was thinking I had read the 'missing tee' play here on this board instead of in the case book.

Thanks to all that assisted. Situation #3 was a play proposed to us in pregame by a coach, but he never executed it.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2010, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
All but one of my games this year has ended on a QB kneel.....we take this very seriously. I have my U mention multiple times to the D that they're going to a knee, nothing foolish...yada yada. If the QB and/or coach mention the "going to a knee" I specifically state to the QB to backstep and go down immediately. We are in there tighter and rather quickly to assure no one gets popped with a cheapy. I fully agree with the NCAA wording and wish it were implemented into Fed.