The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

5 man mechanics

Question for the wings. On a standard drop back pass do you prefer to (1) move as deep as possible and move back toward the LOS on shorter passes or (2) stay near the LOS and move down field after the throw.

Question is not what your state requires you to do, but what you think is the better way to do it.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

If RB or motion man is coming to my flat, I'd prefer staying put. If no RB or anyone heading to the flat, and QB is not rolling my way, I prefer moving to the shallowest receiver.

In 5-man, there's no need to rush down the field with the deepest guys, at the expense of being ahead of the play should the pass go shorter.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

In 4-man, I advise my guys to go no further than 50% of the distance from the LOS to the deepest guy on their side of the field. Stay with your body shape side on to the field and move with a boxer shuffle side to side. Once the ball is in the air, then you can turn to face downfield and pursue (if indeed it does go to that deep receiver).
While the ball is in the air, you can move further than you think to shorten that distance between where you are and the deep receiver.

In a 5-man with the extra help deep from the BJ, there is even less need for you to be dragged deep, so I advise less than 50%.

Football is essentially a conservative game, the majority of plays are runs and even when they do pass, it is generally short or medium range attempts, so I feel that officials should play the percentages accordingly.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
If RB or motion man is coming to my flat, I'd prefer staying put. If no RB or anyone heading to the flat, and QB is not rolling my way, I prefer moving to the shallowest receiver.

In 5-man, there's no need to rush down the field with the deepest guys, at the expense of being ahead of the play should the pass go shorter.
That's exactly how I work it. First check is flat; if no one there or going there, move SLOWLY downfield, giving help in middle until ball is thrown.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 08:27pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Question for the wings. On a standard drop back pass do you prefer to (1) move as deep as possible and move back toward the LOS on shorter passes or (2) stay near the LOS and move down field after the throw.

Question is not what your state requires you to do, but what you think is the better way to do it.
CANADIAN MECHANIC:

The side guy reads the play. If there is a receiver deep on his side of the field, he shall move off the LS and only go so far that he doesn't spot the ball coming back to the play should it develop into a run or short pass. If the pass goes long, cover the extra space while the ball is airborne.

So, essentially, what 2_Flakes said.
Old Wed Aug 25, 2010, 08:29pm
Chain of Fools

I used to move 5-7 yards downfield but the Fed mechanics seem to want us to stay at the LOS now so I've worked on that but am not pleased with it.

My nickname in advanced probation officer training was "Slug" so that would kind of give you an idea as to my footspeed.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 12:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post

What my state asks and what is best are one in the same if you ask me.

Since most passes in high school football are 10 to 15 yards at best, I feel you should not flow at all until all receivers cross your vision and only move cautiously if at all in this situation. If the pass is thrown it is likely to be in front of you and moving will just put you in the middle of the play or too close to judge ball and feet on a sideline play. Moving down field is not productive when passes are mostly short. And if they are deep, that is what the back judge is for.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 06:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What my state asks and what is best are one in the same if you ask me.

Since most passes in high school football are 10 to 15 yards at best, I feel you should not flow at all until all receivers cross your vision and only move cautiously if at all in this situation. If the pass is thrown it is likely to be in front of you and moving will just put you in the middle of the play or too close to judge ball and feet on a sideline play. Moving down field is not productive when passes are mostly short. And if they are deep, that is what the back judge is for.

Peace
Times change. When I started working football a few decades ago, we ran with the receivers. Now I have to keep reminding my wings to hold the line of scrimmage until the first receivers are 10+ yards downfield (which I believe is actually an official NFHS mechanic for the first time this season). And I would still like the wing on the side of the BJ to hold even longer. And I'm even deeper and wider as the WH than most of the officials I see in the highlights on TV. I can run with the QB, but I get a better look at *everything* with a little distance.

I really believe that most HS officials get too close to the play, in order to "keep up." This preseason, I've been working on getting the wings on my crew to really embrace working behind the runner and leaving a good cushion -- also using cross-field mechanics and letting the wing opposite get the spots, when possible -- freeing the wing on the side the ball comes to so he can stay back deeper with a better field of vision.

First game (JV) tonight, first varsity game tomorrow. It's about time.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

new this season

We are working something new this season. If you are the wing on the throwing arm side of the QB you hold the line...if your not you release 5-7 yards down the sideline and read the throw, if there is one. The wing that releases reads the pass to stay behind the receiver and box in with the BJ. Our crew chief is a DI NCAA WH and I guess this is a college type mechanic that we are adapting to High School.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWA_UMP View Post
We are working something new this season. If you are the wing on the throwing arm side of the QB you hold the line...if your not you release 5-7 yards down the sideline and read the throw, if there is one. The wing that releases reads the pass to stay behind the receiver and box in with the BJ. Our crew chief is a DI NCAA WH and I guess this is a college type mechanic that we are adapting to High School.
Just for my information - why key off the passing arm of the QB? Is there a greater tendency for him to throw that way as opposed to the other? Just trying to grasp the concept. Thanks.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
That is not a college mechanic. The wings in college (or 7 man) hold their line of scrimmage on just about every play but a running play. And on a running play they allow the runner to pass them by then follow the play for forward progress.

Then my next question is how is your HS crew chief a D1 official? Those guys have to be at the game site the day before their college games if the game is on Saturday. At least that is how it is with guys in the Midwestern Conferences at that level. Not saying you are lying just is not possible here to have a guy that works a high school schedule (on Friday) and then turn around and work a college game in D1 the next day.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:13am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Frankly, I don't get this. If anyone should hold, it's the wing on the side favored by the back judge (using whatever criteria are used).

Personally, I don't see why both wings don't hold a bit longer. In the HS game, most plays are running plays and blindly running downfield at the snap puts the wings at a horrible place to observe running plays. Plays to a wing's side are best observed from behind with a good cushion so the official has a good, wide view of the blocking. And the wing should be picking up the nearside tackle if he engages with a defender. You can't do that if you're running downfield blindly at the snap.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Aug 26, 2010 at 10:15am.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Times change. When I started working football a few decades ago, we ran with the receivers. Now I have to keep reminding my wings to hold the line of scrimmage until the first receivers are 10+ yards downfield (which I believe is actually an official NFHS mechanic for the first time this season). And I would still like the wing on the side of the BJ to hold even longer. And I'm even deeper and wider as the WH than most of the officials I see in the highlights on TV. I can run with the QB, but I get a better look at *everything* with a little distance.

I really believe that most HS officials get too close to the play, in order to "keep up." This preseason, I've been working on getting the wings on my crew to really embrace working behind the runner and leaving a good cushion -- also using cross-field mechanics and letting the wing opposite get the spots, when possible -- freeing the wing on the side the ball comes to so he can stay back deeper with a better field of vision.

First game (JV) tonight, first varsity game tomorrow. It's about time.
Interesting thoughts, especially using cross-field mechanics for spots.

Same for me for tonight and tomorrow and the weather should be fantastic.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

I think I disagree with most of the posts here. Assuming both the official and a player can run a 6 second forty they can cover 10 yards in a second and a half. Thus, if an official is 20 yards ahead of a play and needs to come back the play. He can get within 10 yards of the runner within 3/4ths of a second. However, once a player is beyond you, you will never get closer to the play. On a 50 yard play it is unlikely that you will be able to see a close out of bounds play. THus, I believe that by moving down field, the official has a better opportunity to be in good position for more plays. Therefore, I would have my wings head down 15 yards if not threatened and work back to the ball.

Last edited by parepat; Fri Aug 27, 2010 at 07:25am.
Old Thu Aug 26, 2010, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is not a college mechanic. The wings in college (or 7 man) hold their line of scrimmage on just about every play but a running play. And on a running play they allow the runner to pass them by then follow the play for forward progress.

Peace
No longer true. College is going to something similar to the NFL. On obvious pass plays the HL is to drift about 5yds down field. The LJ is to drift about 2 yds into the backfield.

In answer to the OP, the mech for our 5 man around here is the wings drift downfield but should not go beyond the shortest route receiver on their side of the field.
And until now, I don't think I've heard anyone, anywhere think "working back to the ball" is a good way to go.

Last edited by Mike L; Thu Aug 26, 2010 at 01:57pm.