The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
That's OK. Many officials don't either. It's an odd rule that i had someone explain to me one time but it never happens so it's never been brought up to the rules committee.
Happened to us one time back in the early 90's. Field conditions were horrible -it was raining straight down, and field position was of prime importance. Team A kicked off to B, B fumbled, A recovered, scored. Team B's Coach chose to kick off to A to put the ball on their end. It worked - held them to 4th down, blocked the punt - (actually tackled the punter), scored, went for 2, made it - only scores of the entire game.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Team b is winning by 5 35-30. Team A scores on a pass and we have a live ball 15 yd foul and a dead ball 15 yard foul on A. B will take both penalties on the kickoff. During a missed try team A is charged with a 15 yard live ball foul. Team B will take this penalty on the kickoff. The score is now 36-35 Team A winning with 15 seconds left in the game. Can Team B kickoff from the 30, hope to get an on side kick inside the 20 and try a field goal to win the game.
I'm using NFHS rules here.

Note the bold section. Team B is going to enforce the live-ball foul and take the points off the board so that they're still WINNING 35-30.

But, let's assume that by "live ball 15 yd foul" you meant something penalized as a dead ball foul (i.e. nonplayer or unsportsmanlike). Then the first two penalties mentioned may be taken on the kickoff.

Now go to the underlined section. By rule (NF 8-3-6), this penalty must be declined - there is no option to carry it over to the kickoff.

But again, let's assume you meant something treated like a DBF. Then that penalty is also assessed on the kickoff.

If A kicks off, they're kicking from their own 6.25-yd line. If B elects to kick off, they're kicking from the opponents' 15. With 15 seconds left, I think B is smarter to make A kick and try to return it - the risk of a touchback is too high.

Now, if there's 5 seconds left, then maybe the onside makes sense - the clock will only start when/if the other team touches it. But, in this increasingly improbably scenario, A now has a very smart play to make - they should step offsides. This moves the kickoff to the 10. Now there's no way to recover the onside kick - if it goes 10 yards, then it's in the EZ for a touchback.

So, the short answer is: yes, it COULD happen. But it would be stupid.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roamin' Umpire View Post
But, in this increasingly improbably scenario, A now has a very smart play to make - they should step offsides. This moves the kickoff to the 10. Now there's no way to recover the onside kick - if it goes 10 yards, then it's in the EZ for a touchback.
Well, if we're changing the OP so that it means what he meant it to mean, and you get this far... then when A "smartly" steps off-side, B would just as smartly decline the penalty.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Aug 19, 2010, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

After a spot is moved by penalty, can the team scored on rescind their choice of kicking or receving?
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 07:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
After a spot is moved by penalty, can the team scored on rescind their choice of kicking or receving?
You would think.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
You would think.
I would actually guess not, but to my knowledge there is absolutely NO guidance on this (ridiculously obscure) question.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they can, which I doubt, how would it work w.r.t. half the distance enforcements? Would you go back to the other team's 40 and apply all the distances serially again? If you just moved the spot 20 yards and reversed the kick-or-receive, because of half-the-distance enforcements it wouldn't always produce the same results as rewinding and starting over. That distinguishes this situation from an in-the-pocket choice of free kick or snap following a fair catch.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2010, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No.

West Houston Mike