The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

is it possible

Team b is winning by 5 35-30. Team A scores on a pass and we have a live ball 15 yd foul and a dead ball 15 yard foul on A. B will take both penalties on the kickoff. During a missed try team A is charged with a 15 yard live ball foul. Team B will take this penalty on the kickoff. The score is now 36-35 Team A winning with 15 seconds left in the game. Can Team B kickoff from the 30, hope to get an on side kick inside the 20 and try a field goal to win the game.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbret View Post
Team b is winning by 5 35-30. Team A scores on a pass and we have a live ball 15 yd foul and a dead ball 15 yard foul on A. B will take both penalties on the kickoff. During a missed try team A is charged with a 15 yard live ball foul. Team B will take this penalty on the kickoff. The score is now 36-35 Team A winning with 15 seconds left in the game. Can Team B kickoff from the 30, hope to get an on side kick inside the 20 and try a field goal to win the game.
Quick answer without looking is no, the missed try is not a scoring play b/c no points were scored.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why didn't B take the penalty for the original live ball foul and negate the TD?

And if they did enforce just 2 penalties, wouldn't those be enough to move their spot for a chosen kickoff to the non-offending team's 30 in Fed?
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Team A scores on a pass and we have a live ball 15 yd foul and a dead ball 15 yard foul on A.
Acceptance of the live ball foul would negate the TD.

Quote:
During a missed try team A is charged with a 15 yard live ball foul.
This penalty is declined. If it's accepted, Team A gets to retry the PAT.

Also, Team B is not going to kick.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sun Aug 15, 2010 at 09:51pm.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Make the live ball fouls dead ball fouls after the score and it's possible.
Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes1978 View Post
Make the live ball fouls dead ball fouls after the score and it's possible.
Actually, it's not.

The OP wrote, "Can Team B kickoff from the 30, hope to get an on side kick inside the 20 and try a field goal to win the game."

Team B isn't going to kick off. Team A is. And Team A is NOT going to kick an onside kick when they're winning a game with 15 seconds remaining.

The entire premise of the original post makes no sense whatsover.

Old Sun Aug 15, 2010, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't I read somewhere that the opponents of the scoring team determine which team kicksoff following a score, so couldn't team B decide to kickoff after a Team A Score, and go down in history as the craziest bunch of yahoos to play the game since the invention of the forward pass?
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Actually, it's not.

The OP wrote, "Can Team B kickoff from the 30, hope to get an on side kick inside the 20 and try a field goal to win the game."

Team B isn't going to kick off. Team A is. And Team A is NOT going to kick an onside kick when they're winning a game with 15 seconds remaining.

The entire premise of the original post makes no sense whatsover.
Rule 8-3-9: reads .... after a try, the opponent of the scoring team shall designate which team will kick off.

So B could elect to kick off, take the penalties try an onside kick and recover it, and kick the field goal to win the game.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Got news for you my friend. Coaches don't know that rule.

Last edited by BktBallRef; Mon Aug 16, 2010 at 09:18am.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 09:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
CANADIAN RULING:

It depends on the nature of the live ball 15-yard penalty.

But yes, it is possible for B to kickoff to A, with the three (3) 15-yard fouls enforced, leaving B kicking from the A-20.
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow ... this one is a mess for 5 reasons off the top of my head. Want to start over?

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 16, 2010, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to jemiller
It would take some luck and some explaining on the front end about B deciding who is going to kick-off, but yes I think that it is possible. Wacky idea...but possible. Jim
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 12:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Got news for you my friend. Coaches don't know that rule.
That's OK. Many officials don't either. It's an odd rule that i had someone explain to me one time but it never happens so it's never been brought up to the rules committee.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

That used to be the Rule in NCAA. But they changed it a few years back to explicitly state that the team who scored the TD / FG are the ones who kick off.
Old Tue Aug 17, 2010, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
That's OK. Many officials don't either. It's an odd rule that i had someone explain to me one time but it never happens so it's never been brought up to the rules committee.
Going back to before Fed existed, it used to be the norm for teams to choose to kick off. That choice became rarer over time, especially as the spot of the kickoff was moved backward from midfield to the 40. Go back far enough and there was no choice -- the team that was scored on had to kick off.

About 30 years ago the NFL eliminated the choice of kickoff after a TD & try, and 2 yrs. later eliminated the choice after a FG. I think the reason for NFL, and now NCAA, to eliminate the choice was to eliminate one conversation with the team captain that might've resulted in a misunderstanding, when nobody had asked to kick off in a while anyway. I used to see the referee point to the team that was scored on as their defense squad was running off, and I could only imagine he was muttering, "Kick or receive?" and pretending to pay att'n to the answer.

The only time during my life that I saw the scored-on team to choose to kick off was a televised CFL game during an NFL strike in the 1980s. The team that was behind had scored a TD, recovered their own kickoff, and driven to score another. After that one, the team protecting their lead chose to kick off (deep) to prevent another onside recovery. It's more of a threat in Canadian football because the team kicking off doesn't have to allow opp'ty for team R to catch the ball -- a rugby style chip to the side was what the team that was behind had used -- and the ball stays live after K recovery. That game was before they moved the spot of the kickoff back from the 45 to the 35.

In standard Rugby Union it's still the scored-on team that must kick off. However, in 7-a-side Hong Kong rules their opponents kick off. And of course in soccer, where the dynamics are very different, the scored-on team kicks off.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Tue Aug 17, 2010 at 09:12am.