The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Study materials

I am curious what you guys do to study and to help you memorize the rules of the game. I try so very hard to sit and read the rules books but it never seems to fail that I get about 5 pages in and I fall asleep. Seriously! I fully undertand the importance of having a solid knowledge of the rules but I cant seem to find a way to learn the rules without boring myself to death.

What do you do to learn the rules? How do you study? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Any links to learning materials or anything that might help me to learn the rules better would go a long way towards making me a better official.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I don't try to read the Rule book like a novel, because it sure isn't! It's not a page turner (as you have discovered), there's no happy ending and you can't figure out who dunnit.

Instead use it as a reference book and go hunt down the correct Rule references to answer some test questions. Or use the Forum questions from here or RefStripes. I find that technique helps me.

Talk to the experienced guys in your officials chapter, it's likely they will have copies of old tests you can use.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 03:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutsunuwu84 View Post
What do you do to learn the rules? How do you study? Any suggestions would be very helpful. Any links to learning materials or anything that might help me to learn the rules better would go a long way towards making me a better official.
I always think you should start with the Simplified and Illustrated book. Then start reading the casebook. In my opinion none of this really matters until you work games and you see some of these things happen, or close to those things happening. Because it is really hard to put things like PSK or clean hands until you have seen them up close. Kind of like having an "aaaahhhaaaa" moment. Of course that is not the case with every rule, but many of the complicated situations are learned by experience.

Peace
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

I learned a lot from the Reddings guide which takes the rules and puts them into a more "narrative" manner and interjects more case play situations as that particular rule is discussed (rather than having to go back and forth between the rule book and the case book).

I also learn a significant amount from discussions of plays with senior officials and reading/participating in forums like this.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 08:14pm
Archaic Power Monger

I second the Redding Guide. It is an invaluable tool. Try to take the book in chunks, read a small section at a time, fully digesting what the rules are saying. Rule 2 and 10 are your two most important rules. I would start with Rule 2 first to get a foundation for your definitions because they are used throughout the book. Rule 10 is penalty enforcement.

Definitely do not start at page 1 and just go. You will drive yourself crazy.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2010, 09:58pm
Chain of Fools

I would second Welpe's comments. Reddings is the most helpful of all the supplemental materials I've ever purchased but even then, I would suggest "small bites" when reading it.

I have also occasionally diagrammed the play on paper. There are even football field diagrams you can download and print if need be.

For me, the case book has actually been the hardest to read. They run so many different scenarios into one paragraph that it gets confusing. I have found it helpful to break down and parse each segment (a,b, and c) separately.

In reality, I've found the case book to read like word problems in a math book- " A train leaves Chicago at 9:00 and another train leaves Los Angeles at 11:30. How many bananas did the monkey eat?"

I only use the case book when I'm trying to apply a rule reference.
Old Sat Jul 24, 2010, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. I do like the simplified and illustrated version and I also find the casebook to be confusing, it makes my head spin sometimes. Where can I find the Reddings guide?
Old Sat Jul 24, 2010, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

I know Honig's has it here. I'm sure it's available through other sources.

Just be mindful that there are two different guides...one for NCAA rules and one for NFHS rules. Be sure to pick the right one!
Old Sat Jul 24, 2010, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Thanks guys. I do like the simplified and illustrated version and I also find the casebook to be confusing, it makes my head spin sometimes. Where can I find the Reddings guide?
I just find that odd. Usually the casebook is written just like you would describe a play in conversation. The rulebook is where I had problems learning from scratch. I am also a little afraid of relying on the Reddings book because so much of the plays have problems or inaccurate when it comes to certain levels. But I am sure that is not a big deal, but just do not want to take the book's word for things and find out later there was a mistake.

You might also want to try "Rules by Topic" that is produced by the NF and Referee. Basically the book takes plays from the Casebook and puts them with the actual rules wording on many areas in the game. Great study tool and you do not have to go open up two different books to find some basic plays associated with a rule. Just one more tool to use.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 24, 2010, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just a suggestion about the Case Book. I found reading a play, with variations a,b,c,d and then reading rulings a,b,c,d often confusing. Reading the play and variation A, then reviewing ruling A before going on to consider each play variation and their associated ruling separately seemed to make things a lot clearer and easier to grasp.
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I second the Redding Guide. It is an invaluable tool.

Definitely do not start at page 1 and just go. You will drive yourself crazy.
As a new official, I have to agree with Welpe on this. My first attempt at studying the rules was to sit down with the rule book and read it from beginning to end. But the rule book is really not meant to be read this way.

I found myself reading a section of the rules and then having to cross-reference what I was reading with other rule book chapters and case book plays in order to completely understand what that rule meant. This method works fine if you're only interested in say 1 or 2 particular sections. But if you're trying to go through and learn all the rules, it's a very tedious and slow-paced method (no matter how enthusiastic you are).

I though the Simplified and Illustrated book was also helpful.

As for the Rules by Topic that is also published by NFHS, I didn't find it that helpful. It's well-organized in addition to including case book plays, but the language in the book is mostly pulled directly from the rule book (which I think can be tricky to comprehend at times).
Old Thu Jul 29, 2010, 02:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

I've found the rules by topic to be more useful when you want to do a deep dive on a particular aspect of the rules.
Old Sat Jul 31, 2010, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketSidewalk View Post
As a new official, I have to agree with Welpe on this.
Agreeing with Welpe is NOT required of new officials. I'm just sayin'.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Reddings and Aloha

I've been reading the Reddings guide the last few weeks trying to get ready for the season. I bought it towards the end of last year, but only made it about halfway through before the season ended, so I never finished it. I'm almost done with it and ready for the season.

I also love watching those Aloha videos...those help me out SO much.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2010, 10:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Agreeing with Welpe is NOT required of new officials. I'm just sayin'.
Come on now, how else am I supposed to build up my Fief?