nm
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 01:34am
Do not give a damn!!

You moving again?

Peace
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 01:37am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Possibly... depends on the wife as usual. Don't know if I'll ever get back to Indiana though. That is where my heart is. Although the Football in TX should be real fun. NCAA rules in the whole state.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Lot more Texas officials on refstripes.com Don't think anyone there has ever mentioned being fom Victoria I believe Victoria is covered by Corpus Christi chapter
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 11:42am
I drank what?

Does the entire state...

use NCAA rules?

How does it work exactly. I see there are division ratings, how does that work?
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules with a few minor UIL exceptions.

All new members start as a Div 5. As you earn points you move up to through the divisions to 1 which is the highest. You earn points by working games, attending clinics, and test scores.

Transfers from out of state can apply for credit for past work and that can help you from being placed in Div 5 to start. In some places, new members and out of state transfers do not get much varsity work if at all. In others, I suspect Corpus is one, it is not as difficult to get on the varsity field due to smaller numbers of officials.
Old Sat Feb 27, 2010, 02:57pm
Archaic Power Monger

I was wondering which TASO chapter that would be myself. Corpus seems to be the most logical choice. I don't think Houston goes out quite THAT far.

Also, there is a TASO basketball chapter in Victoria.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, Mike, at some large chapters, its easy to get on the field on Friday night for someone experienced. If you're a good back judge, with, say, 10 years of experience, you'll work. A lot.

For larger school varsity in many of the large chapters in Texas, the games are assigned based on a coach's draft, usually of crews. Other chapters assign all games, and "lower level" games are universally assigned. I've worked some of these so-called lower level games that had 3-4,000 in attendance. Maybe not the best stadiums in the world, but the atmosphere is just as good as a suburban 5A district battle.
Old Sun Feb 28, 2010, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

You will not in your first year as a transfer. Especially if you do not get there and somehow manage to get on a crew before the picks.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I work in the second largest one. Plenty of first year transfers have worked varsity, and a few have made their way into draft (4A/5A) games, over the last few years. One of the guys on my crew, who came in 5 years ago after having worked in Kansas for 5 years, had 4 or 5 games his first year in -- but no draft games. In my opinion, he's one of the best wing officials in the chapter.

I think its a terrible mistake to deprive experienced officials varsity games just because they transferred in. I understand schedules being completed and the official being at the mercy of openings, but we all get better by putting our best people on the field. Any blanket policy of deprivation is BS.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 02:30am
I drank what?

How do I apply for credit? I got on a crew my first season here, and I would be moved ther about Aprilish. Would that be enough time to maybe get on a crew? I work both wings and some BJ. In fact this whole last season I worked mostly BJ on my crew after working HL the entire last season. When I wasn't working BJ I worked a little LJ.
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 06:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
How do I apply for credit? I got on a crew my first season here, and I would be moved ther about Aprilish. Would that be enough time to maybe get on a crew? I work both wings and some BJ. In fact this whole last season I worked mostly BJ on my crew after working HL the entire last season. When I wasn't working BJ I worked a little LJ.
It may not matter if you are going to Victoria. The situation in Corpus (a smaller chapter) will be much better for you than in a larger Chapter. You should start by contacting them Home
Old Tue Mar 02, 2010, 10:09am
I drank what?

I've done that. No return emails bu the assignor for the Victoria basketball chapter said he could help me with football too.