The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Rose Bowl...lining up behind LOS

I was only casually watching the Rose Bowl...I (thought) I saw an interesting situation...I wanted to see if I did see it correctly.

A (which happens to be OSU) has 4/1 at B 30 (yard lines are approximate here). They assume positions on the B35. I did not see if the linemen were in 2-point or in 3/4-point stances. B lined up like the LOS was the 35. Then, A moved up and correctly lined up at the 30 (and B responded to it).

My questions:

1. Did anyone else see this? Did this actually happen? ABC never replayed it, but then again, the announcers were too busy conducting an Ohio State pep rally.

2. Is there anything illegal with what A did? Everyone on A did become set before the snap. This was, obviously, under NCAA rules, but I am interested in the Fed ruling also.

Thanks.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Obviously some confusion occurred. A pedantic ruling on Fed rules would've had a dead ball foul of encroachment by B, but I would hope nobody would actually flag that. From your description there doesn't seem to have been any advantage to be gained by A's lining up on the wrong line under NCAA rules, and under Fed rules only by the pedantic ruling mentioned above, so I would say this is a no harm, no foul situation. I would think that at least the intended snapper would've realized something was wrong when his arms wouldn't stretch 15 feet to reach the ball!