The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

I know this is a dumb question but the Rose Bowl officials are wearing some nice Nike Turf shoes (They are NOT Air Diamond Trainers). Anybody recognize what kind they are?? Sorry to waist space on your board. Go Zebras!

Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 01:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
Go Zebras!
How dare you?!

How dare you, cheer the zebras? What do you think this is, an Official Forum?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:41pm
I Bleed Crimson

I noticed those too. I work the chains at a local Pac-10 school, and many of the officials we saw last season wore those patent-leather shoes. I guess they are for basketball, but on fake turf they work just fine and look sharp.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Suudy
I noticed those too. I work the chains at a local Pac-10 school, and many of the officials we saw last season wore those patent-leather shoes. I guess they are for basketball, but on fake turf they work just fine and look sharp.
I didn't know that Nike made patent leather shoes?? Also, the field in Pasadena is natural grass so I don't think those guys would be wearing basketball shoes. So do you know what kind of Nike shoes they are or not??
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 05:47pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
I didn't know that Nike made patent leather shoes?? Also, the field in Pasadena is natural grass so I don't think those guys would be wearing basketball shoes. So do you know what kind of Nike shoes they are or not??
Somehow I glossed over the part in the first post about them being Nikes. I noticed the shoes were very shiny and thought perhaps they were the same kind of shoes that some of the Pac-10 officials were using this year.

In fact, the patent leather shoes we saw were Reebok court shoes (see http://www.honigs.com/detail.asp?Cat...=12&Item=870). And yes, the Rose Bowl is natural turf, but I wouldn't necessarily preculde the use of court shoes. But given the rain earlier that week, I wouldn't think it likely. I figured that if there were patent leather court shoes, certainly somebody would come up with patent leather turf shoes.

I did look on nike.com and didn't find any patent leather turf shoes. In fact, I looked lots of places and can't find patent leather turf shoes at all. Perhaps they have just leather Nike turf shoes and polished them to a high sheen!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

They are wearing the Nike Air Astrograbber...it's a turf shoe. The Big Ten Officials buy their gear where our HS association does.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Were they all black?