The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

NFL Horse collar

Does anyone have a link with the ACTUAL NFL horse collar rule and maybe some example of what is and what isn't a horse collar. Thanks
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 03:36pm
Chain of Fools

NFL Rules are very hard to come by. You can occasionally purchase a rule book from one of the larger bookstore chains. NFL.com only has a synopsis of various rules on their website.

Someone may have one and be able to type the text but there are no links I know of that you can be directed to.

You might join this board and see if they can help.
Behind the Football Stripes
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

nfl rules??? really

Do the reffs know the rules. I think the officiating in the NFL has changed, to the point that they pick and choose what to call, like the NBA did. I get tired of the extend the game calls, or the juggling calls on a first down, or the no call of holding with your hands full of jersey. So horse collar, sounds easy enough. but play clock expiring, has been around a long time and it still isn't always called. A win is manipulated all the time
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega3p View Post
Do the reffs know the rules.
Yes.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

link to get pdf of rulebook
2009 Official NFL Rulebook - Footballguys Forums
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsf23 View Post
Does anyone have a link with the ACTUAL NFL horse collar rule and maybe some example of what is and what isn't a horse collar. Thanks
Try this: http://www.dallasnews.com/shar...e/horsetest.swf
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Better than you.

Quote:
.....they pick and choose what to call....
Just like we all do whatever level of football we are officiating. We decide if it needs to be called (for safety or for being at the point of attack).

Quote:
A win is manipulated all the time.....
Of course it is. Manipulated by that man behind the grassy knoll. The same guy who faked the Moon landings and abducted Elvis.

If you are going to spout nonsense, do it elsewhere.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroKen62 View Post
Broken - your link appears to be (ahem) broken.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the officiating in the NFL has changed, to the point that they pick and choose what to call, like the NBA did.
That's not a change for the NFL, or at least not a recent one. NFL game officials tend to interpret certain rules out of the book, or interpret them so as to effectively change them, and then eventually, after years or decades, the NFL codifies that interpret'n in the rule book. 2 examples that come to mind quickly were their rulings on players of R touching the ground in their end zone while touching a ball in the field of play, and ballcarriers touching or being touched by an opponent while on their way to the ground.

Being a league that adopts its own rules, you're more likely to see that sort of practice in the NFL than you would by a governing body like Fed. Although the NCAA operates much like a league, they're too big to practice that sort of informal rule making. The NFL is small enough that they have no problem with long lasting inconsistencies between their rule book and actual practice; as you can see, they don't even make their rule book easily available. (Many printed versions are missing some or all of the Approved Rulings, and all printed versions I've seen are missing the Official Rulings. Their official rule books at the time I bought a couple, ~30 yrs. ago directly from the league office on Park Ave., were the only football rule books I've ever seen in 8.5" X 11" format, meaning they weren't intended to be carried to the field, unlike the usual pocket format.) However, there are a number of minor leagues that base their own rules on NFL's, and they may well rule differently from the NFL on the field.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know what reffs are, but the NFL game officials know the rules very well. Probably better than officials at any other level.
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do the reffs know the rules. I think the officiating in the NFL has changed, to the point that they pick and choose what to call, like the NBA did. I get tired of the extend the game calls, or the juggling calls on a first down, or the no call of holding with your hands full of jersey. So horse collar, sounds easy enough. but play clock expiring, has been around a long time and it still isn't always called. A win is manipulated all the time
This sounds just like the type of nonsense that comes from ignorant and uninformed fans.

Did your team lose this week?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettdj View Post
This link does not work, even after registration. Can you reply and post your copy on this board using the "attach files" feature?
Old Tue Nov 17, 2009, 09:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Of course not. How would they know the rules better than you would? After all you have so much experience and you know all the philosophies. And you sit in on the meetings and see all the NFL literature. Better yet, you sit in on the pre-game meetings and pre-season meetings. Why not bless us all with your knowledge of the NFL game?

Peace
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

From the 2009 NFL Rulebook

Section 12, Section 2 Personal Fouls,

Article 1:

All players are prohibited from:

(d) grabbing the inside collar of the back of the shoulder pads or jersey, or the inside collar of the side of the shoulder pads or jersey, and immediately pulling down the runner. This does not apply to a runner who is in the tackle box or to a quarterback who is in the pocket.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If any of the above acts is judged by the official(s) to be flagrant, the offender may be disqualified as long as the entire action is observed by the official(s).
Old Wed Nov 18, 2009, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
This sounds just like the type of nonsense that comes from ignorant and uninformed fans.

Did your team lose this week?

Yes the team I am cheering for this year did win. I hate the cheating,the Patriots. I don't like cheating anywhere. I think an asterisk is appropriate. But that was a horrible call. He did catch it, have control, at the spot,he made the first down. So it's Peyton's year. Obviously!

Sorry for the nickname prof., I was use to twitter. I can say whatever I see happening. I watched the same Minn/GBPack game everyone else did. I know people wanted a show, but when the offensive lineman has both hands full of Jared Allens jersey, that's no longer over looking it, it's ignoring it. The no call, of trying to rip the head off of the Minnesota Viking wide receiver who caught the last TD, that's touchdown, where was that call??

For the team I use to root for, that was the Dallas Cowboys, I don't even want then to win anymore. But facts are facts. If a rule is in the book, then it should be called even on a touchdown.