The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Dallas v Philadelphia

Last night, there was a play I wanted a little clarification on. McNabb rolled out and it looked like he crossed the LOS before he passed the ball. With the benefit of review, we see that his torso, front foot and the ball are across the LOS, but not his back toes. The announcers said that his entire body have to be across the line. I didnt think this was right as the sport is based where the ball is. Thanks
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes, it is the ball. Sometimes, it is the feet. Sometimes, it is the body.

In NFHS, it is a foul if either foot is beyond the neutral zone (i.e. the forward point of the ball when it is marked ready for play.) Thus, the play as you described it would be flagged for illegal forward pass.

In NCAA, the entire body must be beyond the neutral zone. Thus, your play is legal.

My 2006 NFL rule book states the entire body must be beyond the line of scrimmage. Once again, a legal play as you have described it. It's possible this rule has changed, but I doubt it.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullycon View Post
My 2006 NFL rule book states the entire body must be beyond the line of scrimmage. Once again, a legal play as you have described it. It's possible this rule has changed, but I doubt it.
The announcers clearly stated this rule during the broadcast. Even a blind squirrel...
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Bullycon's answer nailed it.

Nailed it for all 3 codes.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 03:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Bullycon's answer nailed it.

Nailed it for all 3 codes.
And as noted by the announcers, the exact same thing happened in the NYG/Philly game last year on Sunday Night Football.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullycon View Post
Sometimes, it is the ball. Sometimes, it is the feet. Sometimes, it is the body.

In NFHS, it is a foul if either foot is beyond the neutral zone (i.e. the forward point of the ball when it is marked ready for play.) Thus, the play as you described it would be flagged for illegal forward pass.

In NCAA, the entire body must be beyond the neutral zone. Thus, your play is legal.

Huh? I was sure that in NCAA, the ball had to be beyond the NZ. And that satisfies the "Sometimes, it is the ball." Bullycon wrote above.
Old Mon Nov 09, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Huh? I was sure that in NCAA, the ball had to be beyond the NZ. And that satisfies the "Sometimes, it is the ball." Bullycon wrote above.
7-3-2: A forward pass is illegal:
a. If thrown by a Team A player whose entire body is beyond the neutral
zone when he releases the ball [S35 and S9].

I was referring to the sport in general when I said, "Sometimes, it is the ball." Not this specific rule.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Then maybe it was the Canadian rule, or maybe I'm out of date. At least going by foot or body position makes for one less case where you have to rule on the release point of the ball.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:32am
Official Forum Member

NFL 2009 Rule Book

Rule 8, Article 2

Item 1: Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team, including the following:

(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage.

Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer's entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released.
Old Tue Nov 10, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
NFL 2009 Rule Book

Rule 8, Article 2

Item 1: Illegal Passes. Any other forward pass by either team is illegal and is a foul by the passing team, including the following:

(a) A forward pass thrown when the passer is beyond the line of scrimmage.

Note: It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer's entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released,

You would think the "and the ball" part would be superfluous, unless you're carrying it on a string!

Quote:
whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass thrown from beyond the line is enforced from the spot where the ball is released.
So you do have to rule on the position of the ball at release, but I meant that it wasn't a critical thing where inches would likely matter, as in determining whether it was a forward pass. If you're off by a bit, it just moves the spot by that much, doesn't determine whether it was a foul.