The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 03:47pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
How Far is Too Far on The Field?

I was watching an NFL game today and saw one of the coaches run onto the field a good 15/20 yards. This is not of course just an NFL issue as I see it weekly in college too as coaches go berserk over calls or to get an officials attention - haven't really see it when I go to HS games.

My question is this - how far is a coach "allowed" on the field or "down the field" as they run onto the field and not just at mid-field? Does it differ for Pro, NCAA, Fed?

I understand the restricted nature of the sidelines and the likes and have seen calls where officials penalize teams for coaches and players violating restrictions.

Just curious as to the rule and what you, as football officials do - requests not to do it, warnings, flags? (I don't do this sport, just curious as I see it a lot).

Thanks
Old Sun Oct 25, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Let's start with what the rules say. Technically, the coach is only allowed on the field during a charged time-out or an officials time-out that allows an authorized conference (i.e. TO between quarters, after a score).

In practice, I will let a coach a step or two onto the field to give a play call to one of his substitutes or players as long as he and the rest of his team are back off the field and out of the box when the ball is live or about to become live. If the coach is out to the numbers, he can expect to get a sideline warning.

I am more than willing to work with the coach if he is willing to work with us. As soon as he starts to abuse the privledge things will tighten up.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

In a freshman game, I had a coach act as the ball boy and then called his offense play while he was handing me the ball in themiddle of the field. I gave him a verbal warning but should have flagged him for a sideline warning or perhaps even an USC.

Any thoughts?
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 11:16am
TODO: creative title here

If he's acting as the ball boy, he should've tossed you the ball from the sideline... or maybe from a few yards inside the sideline. Under no circumstances should a 'ball boy' end up in the middle of the field.

That said, in a freshman game I probably would've just given the coach a warning like you did.
Old Mon Oct 26, 2009, 11:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_faz View Post
In a freshman game, I had a coach act as the ball boy and then called his offense play while he was handing me the ball in themiddle of the field. I gave him a verbal warning but should have flagged him for a sideline warning or perhaps even an USC.

Any thoughts?
I would have a problem with a coach doing this. He needs to pick a role and stick to it. He could find a kid that is not playing the game to come out and bring the ball. But how often could this really happen anyway? You cannot arbitrarily change the ball every play unless you have some weather issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
If he's acting as the ball boy, he should've tossed you the ball from the sideline... or maybe from a few yards inside the sideline. Under no circumstances should a 'ball boy' end up in the middle of the field.

That said, in a freshman game I probably would've just given the coach a warning like you did.
Well our ball boys come to the middle of the field or closer to where the officials are. I disagree that under no circumstances should a ball boy be in the middle of the field. Maybe that is your local custom or practice and that is fine with me.

Peace