The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

need help for rule but cant find it

where is the rule or NFHS guideline that requires the kids to keep their helmets on while on the field. I have looked several times but know that NFHS put this out a couple of years ago...Can any one help? Thanks
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Only thing that could possibly fit is drawing attention to ones self.

SECTION 5 NONCONTACT UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT BY PLAYERS
ART. 1 . . . No player shall act in an unsportsmanlike manner once the officials
assume authority for the contest. Examples are, but not limited to:

c. Any delayed, excessive or prolonged act by which a player attempts to
focus attention upon himself.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

1-5-1a.

ART. 1 . . . Mandatory equipment. Each player shall participate while wearing the following pieces of properly fitted equipment, which shall be professionally manufactured and not altered to decrease protection:

a. A helmet and face mask which met the NOCSAE test standard at the time of manufacture. The face mask shall have a surface covered with resilient material designed to prevent chipping, burrs or abrasiveness and be properly secured to the helmet as designed by the manufacturer. The helmet shall be secured by a properly fastened chin strap with at least four attachment points.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:47am
Chain of Fools

That's a college rule, doesn't exist in HFHS.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
1-5-1a.

ART. 1 . . . Mandatory equipment. Each player shall participate while wearing the following pieces of properly fitted equipment, which shall be professionally manufactured and not altered to decrease protection:
NF 1-5-1 addresses what equipment must be worn when players are PARTICIPATING, and does not address, or apply to how the required equipment might be handled during periods of non-participation.

The rules prohibiting players from removing their head gear "on the field", during dead ball intervals does not apply to NFHS governed contests.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
NF 1-5-1 addresses what equipment must be worn when players are PARTICIPATING, and does not address, or apply to how the required equipment might be handled during periods of non-participation.

The rules prohibiting players from removing their head gear "on the field", during dead ball intervals does not apply to NFHS governed contests.
I wondered if that was the question but wasn't for sure. Years ago some guys from another crew saw us at a bar after a game. They asked about the foul when a player took his helmet off during a down. When asked they said that a B player intercepted a pass in OT and some of the players took their helmets off while he was running the interception back for a TD. They flagged those players for USC. They embarrassed when we told them they shouldn't have let the TD stand.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Had a RB nailed for a big loss this week and he undid his helmet and then slammed it to the ground. Called USC on him. Later wondered where the NFHS rules regarding this same issue were found....now I know.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
I wondered if that was the question but wasn't for sure. Years ago some guys from another crew saw us at a bar after a game. They asked about the foul when a player took his helmet off during a down. When asked they said that a B player intercepted a pass in OT and some of the players took their helmets off while he was running the interception back for a TD. They flagged those players for USC. They embarrassed when we told them they shouldn't have let the TD stand.
How long ago was that? Because the ball is dead when B intercepts in OT, but also the USC is a succeeding spot.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2009, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Had a RB nailed for a big loss this week and he undid his helmet and then slammed it to the ground. Called USC on him. Later wondered where the NFHS rules regarding this same issue were found....now I know.
Does there need to be a specific rule about that? Can't the action be judged to be unsportsmanlike on general terms? Or were you looking for whether it was automatically so?

It should be flagged even just for the damage it can do to the helmet. Although the helmet was made to protect the head, to some degree the head also protects the helmet. Empty, they're more vulnerable. But that's the coach in me thinking.