The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

SB verses Crespi

Has football seen an increase in refs due to the recession? In softball this has caused more experience umpires to receive less games. Is this happening in football? The only reason I ask is because of last nights game. It seemed like the visitor line ref only knew how to mark the ball and move the chains. It also seemed like the head ref did not have his best game. Calls are calls. Refs train themselves to see thing the ordinary would never see, but I have a big problem with one play from last night.

After SB scored off of an interception the player slipped on the track and hurt himself. SB's head coach plus others went to check him out. The Ref had SB play on and attempted the extra point. SB missed an the HC came back to the field wondering why the refs had the game continue when he was looking after a hurt player. Was this proper or should the ref what until the coach returns?

BTW Sorry I do not know the correct terms for your positions.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Has football seen an increase in refs due to the recession? In softball this has caused more experience umpires to receive less games. Is this happening in football? The only reason I ask is because of last nights game. It seemed like the visitor line ref only knew how to mark the ball and move the chains. It also seemed like the head ref did not have his best game. Calls are calls. Refs train themselves to see thing the ordinary would never see, but I have a big problem with one play from last night.

After SB scored off of an interception the player slipped on the track and hurt himself. SB's head coach plus others went to check him out. The Ref had SB play on and attempted the extra point. SB missed an the HC came back to the field wondering why the refs had the game continue when he was looking after a hurt player. Was this proper or should the ref what until the coach returns?

BTW Sorry I do not know the correct terms for your positions.
We would have waited until the player was returned to his bench but I don't know that any rules or guidebooks require that.
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
We would have waited until the player was returned to his bench...
Same here.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

There's no "official" requirement for what you describe. The relevant point is where the injured player was being attended to, rather than who was attending to him. If he was in any way near enough to the field of play when he was being attended to be in danger, delaying the game until it was safe for him and his attendees would be appropriate.

However, if his proximity to the field did not pose any potential risk, there is no reason for delay. The fact that the Head Coach chose to stay with the injured player rather than focus on his team's try activities is totally irrelevant. That's why each team has trainers and medical personnel in attendance and why there are assistant coaches.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the feedback. He did go down to the left of the end zone on the other side of the track. ajmc... this is HS not college or pro. Yes SB has trainers and doctors (probably better than most), but still this is HS and IMHO the HC should go.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Thanks for the feedback. He did go down to the left of the end zone on the other side of the track. ajmc... this is HS not college or pro. Yes SB has trainers and doctors (probably better than most), but still this is HS and IMHO the HC should go.
I'm not questioning his decision to stay with his injured player, but what does that have to do with delaying the game? If he wants to stay with the player, fine, I'm sure he has assistant coaches available to manage a Try, or at least he should have.

With trainors and medical personnel attending the injured player, there's really not much, other than emotional support, the HC can offer. If that's what he chooses to do, fine, I've got no problem with that whatsoever, but what does delaying the game have to do with that?

Unless there is some threat to player (or attendee) safety related to the proximity of where the player is being treated, like life, the game goes on.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
"The visitor line ref?"
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 07:19pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirebob71 View Post
"The visitor line ref?"
With one team on each sideline, the wing nearest the visitor's bench.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Clearly, but I've never heard it described as such.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

as I said I don't know the correct terminology of FB officials.