The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Bad Mechanics? - Spotting

As a wing, is it considered bad mechanics to put your hand up (dead ball signal) when spotting the ball? (short of line to gain)

Also, do your feet need to be together when you spot it? (with your up-field foot slightly forward)
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Fed Game?

If so it is. The hand up is a pro signal to start the 45 second clock.

One foot forward is better.

Last edited by zebra2955; Sat Aug 22, 2009 at 08:50pm.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

In SC we use our downfield foot for the spot.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Suppose you stand one foot forward and the opposite wing does the same and you don't line up, then one coach will think your spot is great and the other will think it's lousy.

Suppose you go downfield after a pass that you think is complete and stand with one foot forward obviously marking a spot and then a fellow official waves it off incomplete.........

Better is to stand with your feet a ball width apart, neither foot forward. That's how regular folks stand anyway. That way if you decide you dont want to be showing a spot, youre not - youre just standing there.

Any half-decent Umpire will know which wing to look to for progress, he doesn't need you to be standing with one foot forward.
Old Sat Aug 22, 2009, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
Also, do your feet need to be together when you spot it? (with your up-field foot slightly forward)
If you are using your downfield foot to spot it why do you need to sick it out in front of the other foot?
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 12:21am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
All the HS camps I have been to...

suggest standing with your downfield foot slightly forward.

Also, hand up is a no no in HS. As another poster said, it is a NFL mechanic.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 12:33am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
suggest standing with your downfield foot slightly forward.

Also, hand up is a no no in HS. As another poster said, it is a NFL mechanic.
It is an NFL and NCAA Mechanic because it serves a very specific purpose. This serves no purpose for us at our level at all. This is why high school officials should not be using it.

Peace
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
If you are using your downfield foot to spot it why do you need to sick it out in front of the other foot?
So I don't tip over.

Also, raising the hand when the ball becomes dead is an old FED mechanic. I started back in the 70's and we used it then.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

If you feel the need to do something with your hand while spotting the ball, signal the down.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I just put the ball down wherever I feel like putting it.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
As a wing, is it considered bad mechanics to put your hand up (dead ball signal) when spotting the ball? (short of line to gain)

Put the hand down it is an obsolete mechanic that serves no purpose.

Keep your feet together because you don't want to put one foot forward only to have the U take the other wing and the coach question why his blade of grass was better than yours.

Last thing, if you are near the line to gain yell it out to the R to let himknow if he needs to look or if it is a first down.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
Last thing, if you are near the line to gain yell it out to the R to let himknow if he needs to look or if it is a first down.
...and yelling "Close! Close!" when it is a play to the Linesman's side should encourage him to come further in so he can ensure the ball is placed exactly where he wants it, East/West as well as North/South.

Looks awful when you measure to a spot that is a distance laterally from where the kid was tackled.
Old Sun Aug 23, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
...and yelling "Close! Close!" when it is a play to the Linesman's side should encourage him to come further in so he can ensure the ball is placed exactly where he wants it, East/West as well as North/South.

Looks awful when you measure to a spot that is a distance laterally from where the kid was tackled.
I would disagree with this one. If you are close to the first, shout it out to him, but do not come further into the field. place it right at your feet if you believe you have the right spot. Then, bring the chains over to you. You'd be surprised how much deviation there is in 20 yards of running. jmho
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 09:31am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4caster View Post
I would disagree with this one. If you are close to the first, shout it out to him, but do not come further into the field. place it right at your feet if you believe you have the right spot. Then, bring the chains over to you. You'd be surprised how much deviation there is in 20 yards of running. jmho
I'm with With_Two_Flakes.

I realize that I'm Canadian, and my mechanics have little to do with US mechanics. But when I'm a side guy, I know where the LTG is. If a forward progress mark threatens that line, I can literally focus on a blade of grass that I have determined to be the spot. I trust my mark and will run in to make it clear that I have an accurate spot.

We're way more accurate to spot the ball at the tackle than to judge 20 yards away. You'll be off. Even on a well lined field, you'll be off.

Just my 2 cents and what works for me.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2009, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Wingmen who have a close spot should come in no further than where the ball became dead. It is that spot you need to focus on. So, if the ball becomes dead in the middle of the field, you may come in further than the hashmarks, if the ball becomes dead at the sideline, you should stay near the sideline. Relay the ball to the wingman that has the spot and have him spot the ball himself.

The U (on the HL side) or the LJ should indicate if the ball is close to the LTG. Once spotted, the R should determine quickly if the spot is close enough for measurement.