The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Cool What do u do?

If the football is on A's 5 yard line.And its 2nd and 10.a false start ios called on A22.how would you called this penalty?at what time would you stop going half the distance to the goal line?
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I think you know the answer to your first question is it is half the distance to the goal line, 2 and 12 1/2.

Never had it happen, but 9-9-2 covers repeated fouls that halve the distance to the goal line. The game is forfeited. No set number, but I would not allow a team to make a travesty of the game.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Here is the text of the rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule 9-9-2
No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to
the goal line.
PENALTY: Unfair act – the referee enforces any penalty he considers equitable,
including the award of a score – (S27). Repeated fouls (Art. 2) – the game may
be forfeited.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2009, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie09 View Post
at what time would you stop going half the distance to the goal line?
When it became obvious they were no longer interested in playing football, and only after a warning. Before you get to a forfeit, the rule whose current numbering in any code I don't know, which allows time to be taken out until the ball is put in play when it appears a team is fouling to consume time, should be invoked. I could see few situations where a team would then continue to see advantage in stalling like that: waiting for a replaced player's cut to stop bleeding, or for darkness to fall, or expiration of some time limit on their permit to use a shared field.

Some codes allow the award of a safety instead of a forfeit in such cases.

Robert
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Some codes allow the award of a safety instead of a forfeit in such cases.
Robert
Which codes will allow the award of a safety on a false start?
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Ref View Post
Which codes will allow the award of a safety on a false start?
Rule 9-9-2 and 1-1-6. This is an unfair act and the referee can rule any penalty he feels is 'equitable,' including a safety, touchdown or even game forfeiture.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2009, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

I can't envision a scenario in which an offense would repeatedly commit fouls inside their own 5. After at least the second one -- and maybe the first depending on the circumstances, the clock wouldn't start until the snap, so we'd be in dead time. If for whatever reason it continued, I'd bring in the QB and either find out what the deal was, or if I knew (assuming it was because they are pissed at a call/no call/other), I'd explain to him clearly that I expect him to get control of his team and run a play properly, and that any ejection that might happen would result in a report to and appearance before the state association.

Assuming we have a team that wants to cause trouble, the problem with awarding a safety is that it won't solve anything. After a safety, they will attempt a free kick and might try other shenanigans then. I don't think in Texas we'd have a problem here because a coach here trying to pull a stunt like this wouldn't last long. Yelling at the officials, even to the point of getting written up, is acceptable to other coaches. Refusing to play or making a mockery of the game isn't. If a visiting team, for example, screwed up a homecoming in this way, there'd be hell to pay.
Old Thu Jul 23, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I can't envision a scenario in which an offense would repeatedly commit fouls inside their own 5. After at least the second one -- and maybe the first depending on the circumstances, the clock wouldn't start until the snap, so we'd be in dead time.
You don't have to envision them, I already did upthread. They'd be rare, but all involve a reason to use up, not game time, but real time.