The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

New Lightning Policy

Yesterday in reading the Points of Emphasis for 2009, I noticed the new lightning policy. It seems to be *extremely* stringent. Essentially, any time there is audible thunder or any sighting of lightning, a game must be delayed/suspended. For those of us in tropical climates, that would seem to have us delaying games all the time. I can live with the part about seeing lightning, but the thunder part is what concerns me - we have thunder and thunderstorms all the time (and many times w/o lightning).

Just wondering what others' opinions are.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:34pm
Chain of Fools

I read that too. We have thunder quite a bit that doesn't have lightning during the summer and early fall.

What about what we called as a kid "heat lightning"? I can remember seeing lots of flashes at the beach that were not even close to being a storm.
Old Fri Jul 10, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thunder is caused by lightning. You are not having thunder without lightning.

Heat lightning is just lightning. Just because it is not a rain storm does not mean that lightning cannot strike.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2009, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

This is one area of the rules every official needs to know and adhere to. Whether you work Fed or NCAA, follow their guidelines to the letter. Contrary to what many think, we have very little liability exposure out on the field, but this is one area where we can get nailed if we aren't careful enough.

Don't let a coach talk you out of getting people off the field. Politely tell him he is welcome to stay, but everyone else is off and the game will be suspended.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

I'm all for the additional safety and agree we need to follow guidelines closely. I also think the respective organizations would have better results putting this in the hands of the school.

With today's hand held lightning meters, web sites that show up to the minute lightning strikes and other technologies out there, I believe this would be better monitored by personnel off the field that would have access to electronic assistance.

Heck, I bet there are services that monitor and if the lightning is close, they will send electronic alerts.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thunder and lightning are connected. You can have thunder and not see lightning and see lightning and not hear thunder. Just know with either there is a potential for a lightning strike. Remember, lightning moves faster than thunder because light travels faster than sound.

There was a player killed here a few years ago struck by lightning. It was not raining, there had been some thunder in the distance when the player was struck in the outfield.

When there is a potential I appoint someone in game management to watch for lightning or better still if they have instruments that can detect lightning to immediately signal me upon detection. To protect yourself have two officials witness that appointment.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 02:54pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Don't let a coach talk you out of getting people off the field. Politely tell him he is welcome to stay, but everyone else is off and the game will be suspended.
And he can stick his finger in the air for all of our benefits.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

I don’t want anyone to misinterpret what I’m about to say because I take lighting very seriously. We had a storm today and the first indication was a flash/boom milliseconds apart. The sun was still shining and it was right on top of us! About two minutes later it came a down pour!

In our part of the country, we have “pop-up” thunder storms in late August and September that locally can be extreme – but they virtually do not move. At night, the thunder head and lightning can be seen from 40 or 50 miles away, but the likelihood of it reaching you from that distance is slim to none. I foresee many contests being suspended for no valid reason other than our exposure to liability. I’m no lawyer, but I feel we are much more open to a lawsuit, perhaps even if nothing catastrophic occurs at the game site. The fact we didn’t suspend the game could be grounds enough. I’m not sure I like the change.
Old Sun Jul 12, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
DR, I believe your state association may modify this policy. From the rule book:

The purpose of these guidelines is to provide a default policy to those
responsible for making decisions concerning the suspension and restarting
of contests based on the presence of lightning. The preferred sources
from which to request such a policy for your facility would include your
state high school association
and the nearest office of the National
Weather Service.

The FED policy is the fallback if no other policy is in place.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
DR, I believe your state association may modify this policy. From the rule book:

[I]The purpose of these guidelines is to provide a default policy to those
responsible for making decisions concerning the suspension and restarting
of contests based on the presence of lightning. [COLOR=Blue]
The FED policy is the fallback if no other policy is in place.
Thanks Walt! Great point, it does appear to be an out if the State wants to assume the responsibility - we'll see how much backbone they have.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Just a quickie -

Do you have to have a cloud in order to have a lightening strike? In other words, if it is blue skies above, for miles all around, and one black cloud off in the distance, is it true that the lightening can only come from that cloud?
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Man Killed by Bolt From Clear Blue Sky

Lightning Kills Man Tossing Football on Sunny Day at the Beach

A bolt of lightning came out of a blue sky Saturday, striking two beachgoers who were tossing around a football.

One of the young men was killed in what meteorologists said was a rare but not unprecedented weather event. Steven McCarthy, 22, of East Windsor, N.J., could not be revived with CPR or a defibrillator. He was pronounced dead at 2:15 p.m. His friend Daryl Kobeski, 23, of Princeton, was also struck but not severely injured.

Hot, Sunny Day

The two were enjoying the hot, sunny day when the lightning hit. It was a wild bolt thrown out by a storm a few miles off shore. Anthony Gigi, a National Weather Service meteorologist in Mount Holly, said lightning can strike even when skies are clear. "If you're close enough to hear thunder, then you're close enough to be struck by lightning," Gigi told The Sunday Asbury Park Press of Neptune. "That's pretty much the rule of thumb we follow."

‘It Sounded Like a Bomb’

At the time of the lightning strike, the park administrator was nearby in a patrol vehicle. "I thought it was an explosion. It sounded like a bomb" said park superintendent William Vibbert. "Then I saw Steven on the ground." National Weather Service meteorologist Dean Iovino told The Sunday Star-Ledger of Newark that there was nothing either the lightning strike victims or park officials could have done. The swimming area of the park was closed for the day after the fatality. Bob Marshall, who has worked at the park since the beach there opened in 1959, said this was the first time he's heard of lightning striking a person there. Lightning continued sporadically for the rest of the afternoon at the beach.

Man Killed by Bolt From Clear Blue Sky - ABC News

Similar stories can be found here. Scroll down the page a bit to see the lightning stories.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2009, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Lightning doesn't just strike directly below the cloud.

Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbref View Post
Thanks Walt! Great point, it does appear to be an out if the State wants to assume the responsibility - we'll see how much backbone they have.
Does Alabama have a lightning policy in writing and do you know where I can read this?
Old Tue Jul 14, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

In Ohio we followed the "any lightning or thunder = suspension" policy for many years. A couple years ago they allowed us to us a flash to bang policy, where you count the seconds from the flash of lightning until the bang of the thunder. If the time interval between the two was less than 45 seconds, the game would be suspended. This would eliminate the "heat lightning" where you can hear no thunder. With this point of emphasis, I bet it gets changed back.