The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

As for the original post, I read the Redding Study Guide question wrong. While planning to discuss it with friends at pre-season study meeting tonight, I realized it is okay.

Chapter 3, Review test question #37: "If observed, an entering substitute with a number identical to a teammate who is on the field, should not be permitted to enter the game." The answer given is TRUE.

For some reason when I read "who is on the field", my head incorrectly registered, "who is being replaced." Dyslexics untie.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: If #88 was already in the game, and I saw another #88 coming in as a substitute, with all due respects to Mr. Demetriou, there is no way I would prevent his entering. How do I know he's not going in to replace the other #88 which is perfectly legal. I would never inject myself into a game like that.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2009, 09:00pm
Chain of Fools

I've had duplicate numbers once in 15 years. Public 3A school vs. small, private school. Early non-conference game.

The public school- home team, wearing navy blue, started entering some of their JV's, late in the game. #19 was the starting TE. He moved to Qb when the JV's started coming in to the game. The JV's were wearing an older set of navy blue jerseys, the trim discernably different. I watched as #19 handed off to......#19. I flagged it, my WH said "good pick-up".

I got chastised on one of these boards for throwing it. I guess I could have let it go. I just reacted when I saw the same numbers on the play.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I've had the situation happen both ways. I've had sub varsity games where the rag tag group can barely put matching uniforms together. Obviously if they had another number available they wouldn't need to duplicate. I've also had the situation where there are more than 100 kids on the team and they are duplicated that way.

To the coach that says it is causing him a problem. Your kids don't know their own plays let alone the opposing player's numbers. Give me a break.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 05:01pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
To the coach that says it is causing him a problem. Your kids don't know their own plays let alone the opposing player's numbers. Give me a break.
And you don't know how many times I've thought about saying this line in some sub-varsity games where the coach tries to act like a high and mighty varsity coach.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: If #88 was already in the game, and I saw another #88 coming in as a substitute, with all due respects to Mr. Demetriou, there is no way I would prevent his entering. How do I know he's not going in to replace the other #88 which is perfectly legal. I would never inject myself into a game like that.
If you saw #88 enter the field and you know #88 is on the field why not do some preventative officiating and caution incoming #88?
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 07:21am
Chain of Fools

Agree Ed, nothing wrong with turning around and saying "coach, you know you got two 88's out there, don't you"
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
Hopefully, someone (on the crew) would notice a substitute coming into the game wearing the same number as another player already in the game. If the new # 88 replaced the old # 88, you have no problem, if he didn't you might mention something to the new # 88, that there's already a # 88 in the game from his team, and one of them has to leave.

Whether, or not, you wanted to flag the offender, or choose to work with him and allow him, and his team to get their act together is really, entirely, up to you. Either option works as long as you're prepared to handle it the same for either team.

You can't change what might have happened in some former week, and have no control over next week, but what happens this week is pretty much up to you and your crew. That's as much control as you have over consistency.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

I've had the situation before in sub-varsity games and we somehow manage to work it out for the benefit of the kids' participation.

Some of the schools here are really strapped for cash and... football is not a priority. As a matter of fact, the science teacher makes just as much as the football coach who doesn't get any perks.

Now, if it were hockey...