The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

penalty mark placement

okay, I've got a few scenarios below that I am a bit confused on, and I'd like to know where to go on this:

Team A has the ball at their 25 yard line, 2nd down and 10:

Team A rushes to the 38 yard line, holding at the 36 yard line by a downfield blocker. I enforce the penalty from the 36, taking it back to the 26, what do I have? First and 10 at the 26?

let's say they now have the ball at their 25 yard line, 2nd and 20
Team A rushes to the 42 yard line, holding at the 40 yard line, enforce 10 yards from the 40, taking it back to the 30, now what do I have? 2nd and 15? (wouldn't they have just gained 5 yards from doing that with no loss of down?)

thanks in advance for any help...

and btw, does anyone know how the NFL assigns the pro bowl referees? I know the super bowl is the best of the best at each position...but not sure about pro bowl...
Old Sun Jun 07, 2009, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

2nd and 9 in the first scenario.

2nd and 15 in the second scenario.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Brett is correct.

bniu, the penalty enforcement is based on a team getting credit for yards they gained without the aid of a penalty. Thus, they do get credit for a net of 5 yards in your 2nd scenario, and they get to replay the down as they do on any penalty which does not also include a LOD. Think of it this way, if they hadn't fouled, they'd have 12 more yards.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Canadian Ruling

Canadian Ruling:

First Scenario:
Assuming the ball was at the 38 when the foul occured, the penalty is enforced from there since 1st down yards have been gained. So the result after the 10 yards would be 1st and 10 at the Team A 28 yard line.

Second Scenario:
Assuming the ball was at the 42 yard line when the foul occured then yards were not gained so the penalty is enforced from the PLS (Point of Last Scrimmage) so the result would be 2nd and 30 at the Team A 15 yard line.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

In any penalty sitution, the determination about what happens next is made after any penalty applications have been made. In your 1st situation, the Line to Gain for A, was the 35 yl. The result of the play was the 36 yl, so A reached the LTG, which would result in a 1st/10.

B would likely choose instead to have the penalty enforced bring the ball back to the 25yl, where the down would be replayed A's ball 2nd & 15). It's B's choice, in this case an easy one.

The same basic choices are available in the 2nd situation. B allowed A to rush to the 40yl fairly without fouling, the last 2 yards were gained with the help of a holding foul. It's B's choice again, either to decline the penalty (resulting in 3rd & 3 for A) or accept the penalty (2nd & 15 for A). It all depends on what B thinks is best for them to defend against.