The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 10:30pm
Chain of Fools

Federation Quarterly FB POE's

We're getting chided by the Federation boys- set phasers to stun.

Lightning Policy- 30 sec. flash to bang standard is gone. "Once thunder is heard, play is to be suspended, stands evacuated and the field cleared." 30 min. clock is reset after every boom or flash.

Illegal Personal Contact- "the committee desires to remind coaches that they need to teach proper techniques and officials that they need to enforce the rules as written." "Trailing officials should especially be vigilant..."

Blocking/Illegal Blocks - defensive players wedge-busting on running plays and hits above the shoulders
"The old idea of 'hitting until the whistle' is passe'.....the play kills itself."

Helmet and Face Mask - "The committee is very concerned about the growing inconsistency on face mask related fouls."

Incidental- grasping
Personal foul- grasping and twisting, turning, or pulling of the mask, opening, or now-the chin strap. "Any movement of the head or neck should be a 15 yard walk-off."

Further concern by the committee- "officials who are judging fouls according to their own individual interpretation..." "Officiating groups are asked....to reinforce ....philosophies as they apply to the rules."

Uniforms- more than just the umpire's responsibility, crews must be consistent from game to game

Not properly worn: jerseys too short or not tucked in, pants must cover the knee, 4 pt. chin straps required, proper mouth guard - no completely clear or white and not cut down

Illegal Adornments: tinted shields, tape being used to create stripes on belts, pants, or helmets, belts too long- cut or tuck in, sweatbands- off the upper arms, towels- plain white only, play cards- worn on wrist-not belt
Shoe spats- illegal, tape ok around shoe and ankle, Knee braces- hard surfaces properly covered?, Rib & back protectors- jersey must cover

Sportsmanship- diving into the EZ with no defender around, excessive face painting, inappropriate words & gestures, team rituals should note demean or embarass opponent
Old Mon May 18, 2009, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I'm a stickler but this is stuff we should be chided for.

FM and late hit fouls are ridiculous. And it's not just us, it's the big boys on TV too. Too many officials don't have the balls to enforce the 15 yard penalty.

Very few crews check uniforms properly. And because they don't, it makes it hard for those that do.

Oh well, it'll be forgotten after the first couple of weeks.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I've never met an official who likes the idea of being the "Fashion Police", but that is totally a problem that is not of our making. We may be the only participants who understand the rules of the game, but we're not the only people who are responsible to abide by them. POEs are intended to help EVERYONE understand the intent of the rules by singling out some for added focus.

The rule makers have tried hard to reduce these "Fashion" issues to basic "yes-no" decisions. There's not a lot of "maybe", and that which is tried, is usually brought into the game by players, coaches and sometimes parents.

What part of "NO" is confusing? The imagination of student athletes is unending, which is likely why the wall of resistance has been reduced to a simple, "NO" which does not require a debate or convincing.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

What is a shoe spat?

If anyone has a problem being reminded to officiate the safety rules i.e. illegal blocks, face masks, etc. they need to find a new hobby.

If you don't like enforcing uniform rules - get better - move up - have a new rule code - and then complain about enforcing those uniform rules.

Sorry, touches a nerve, I get annoyed by officials who don't enforce the rules.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Rev. View Post
What is a shoe spat?
Is there another kind?

Old Tue May 19, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Is it just me, or is Fed legislating on some strange subjects in the area of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Illegal Adornments:... tape being used to create stripes on belts, pants, or helmets
Was it making it hard to tell the teams apart? Was it coming loose & strangling people? Did it look like the stripes on the ball?

Quote:
Sportsmanship-...excessive face painting
How is that a problem? Players getting an unfair advantage by getting an opponent to laugh at their clown faces?

Robert in the Bronx
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to grantsrc
I've always wondered about the tape around the belt and sad to say but I've let that one go. Now the other stuff, the excessive face paint, writing on arms, arm bands, leg bands, etc. I've enforced. I would really like to print off or photo copy the POE's that describe what's acceptable and what's not and give it to coaches during the pregame meeting. Guess that's why I am not a R.

A "shoe spat" is usually made of fabric of some kind and are used to cover up the ankles and shoes. They usually match the team's colors and really serve no purpose.

Last edited by grantsrc; Wed May 20, 2009 at 08:31am.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 02:24pm
Archaic Power Monger

Robert, in addition to safety and fair play, the NFHS also considers sportsmanship to be an important tenet of high school athletics. Their rules in all sports relfect this thinking.
Old Tue May 19, 2009, 06:12pm
Chain of Fools

Spats

football cleat spats,athletic spats,soccer cleat spats,cleat covers,cleat taping, TeamSpats
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Robert, in addition to safety and fair play, the NFHS also considers sportsmanship to be an important tenet of high school athletics. Their rules in all sports relfect this thinking.
What has face painting or stripes on a belt or arm to do with sportsmanship? Why's it "sporting" to have designs created by stitching, but not tape or makeup? How about tattoos? I've seen stickers on helmets.

Robert in the Bronx
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Brandon Kincer
If its in the rule book it has a reason to be there. im sure the committee doesn't sit around and make rules just to be making them. It is the job of the officials to enforce those rules whether we agree with them or not.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Kincer View Post
If its in the rule book it has a reason to be there. im sure the committee doesn't sit around and make rules just to be making them. It is the job of the officials to enforce those rules whether we agree with them or not.
Brandon, you're new here.

What NFHS is telling us is some officials are not doing their job for whatever reason. I personally know a group of officials that pretty much let everything go because to enforce the rules might mean they don't get a playoff game.

You'll see

Last edited by Ed Hickland; Wed May 20, 2009 at 05:01pm. Reason: misspelling
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 05:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What has face painting or stripes on a belt or arm to do with sportsmanship? Why's it "sporting" to have designs created by stitching, but not tape or makeup? How about tattoos? I've seen stickers on helmets.

Robert in the Bronx
You're going to have to ask the Federation about why they consider those things to be sportsmanship issues, I'm simply conveying their reasoning for prohibiting those things.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
I personally know a group of officials that pretty much let everything go...
I'm sure you're talking about the guy last week, as in "The guy last week said it was okay."
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
I'm sure you're talking about the guy last week, as in "The guy last week said it was okay."
You know him!?