The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

A couple of years ago before the Dallas Cowboys had their indoor practice facility (in need of another one now) they would actually use a local high school indoor facility for indoor practices.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by With_Two_Flakes View Post
Bamako.

Lets see how many fans of the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency there are out there.....
Capital of Botswana?
Gaberone.

Prounced 'Haberone' by locals.
Old Tue May 05, 2009, 08:35pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
What justifies that? Do the officials do magic tricks and tell jokes at half time?
What I stated was what I was told by one of our locals here in Nebraska who was seriously being recruited to move to Texas to become an official. Of course, he has some family down there so he was considering it.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Lets get the argument going. I say OHIO has the best.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.OH View Post
Lets get the argument going. I say OHIO has the best.
Ohio is the source of the best college coaches in the country: Stoops, Miles, U. Meyer.....and in days past: Hayes, Schembechlar, Parseghian...
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
Old Wed May 06, 2009, 05:07pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Ohio is the source of the best college coaches in the country: Stoops, Miles, U. Meyer.....and in days past: Hayes, Schembechlar, Parseghian...
Don't forget the up and coming Bo Pelini...also, Frank Solich of Ohio is an Ohio native.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
And that cut of the gate just isn't in football. I understand they do that in basketball. Matter of fact, I think the game fees are based on how much was earned at the gate.
Carl Childress mentioned baseball umpires get a share of the gate in playoff games.
Old Thu May 07, 2009, 05:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Carl Childress mentioned baseball umpires get a share of the gate in playoff games.
Actually I believe that per the UIL, umpires get a share of the gate for all varsity contests. I would imagine this is quite a bit lower than a football game.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

Oklahoma high school football is very good as well. Not as many good teams as Texas because of the sheer size difference, but Oklahoma's good teams are REAL good.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 07:38am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Oklahoma high school football is very good as well. Not as many good teams as Texas because of the sheer size difference, but Oklahoma's good teams are REAL good.
Oklahoma has been pretty good for churning out big a** linemen...I should know because my beloved Huskers stole a few from the Sooners and the Cowboys.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

My top five:

Texas
Ohio
Georgia
Pennsylvania (Western)
Florida
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

"What state take HS football most seriously?"

I guess we have to start by deciding what empirical factors we would use to base our assessment on.
The amount of money spent on HS football by the citizens?
The amount of money paid to officials to officiate football?
The percentage of kids who participate in football?
The salaries paid to those who coach football?
The percentage of the population which attends HS football games?
The degree of conventional and unconventional media coverage of HS football?

Any others?

The most qualified folks to answer this question would be those who have lived in many different states. I can compare Texas to Virginia, Maine, Florida, Oklahoma, Indiana, Kansas, and Washington. Would like to hear some comparisons between Texas, Ohio, Pennsylvania and California.

(I continue to find it interesting that you can see playoff games from the lowest levels of HS football in many states on satellite TV but we still see only a limited number of Texas playoff games, and those are the highest levels)

Texas HS Football stadiums article: High school football in Texas is king. Just look at their stadiums: - Democratic Underground

Story from 2006 re coach salaries: In dollars, coaches beat teachers

Pay/Performance Study of Texas HS Football Coaches Pay and Performance: An Examination of Texas High School Football Coaches | The Sport Journal

Article comparing Georgia HS football to Texas and other states:
THE ISSUE: RATING GEORGIA'S FOOTBALL TALENT: IT'S A SOUTHERN THING | ajc.com
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Which state has the best HS football is another issue entirely. We are talking about which state takes HS football most seriously. I did some research a few years ago and found that the number of D-1 players coming out of HS's, on a per capita basis, was greatest in Louisianna. Texas, Ohio, Califonia and Florida were not far behind but Oklahoma was not in the mix.