The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Old Uniforms

In the movie, "Return of the Titans", we saw officials with striped hats. I thought it was really strange, like where did the director ever get the idea for these hats?

HBO currently has a documentary special, "Breaking the Huddle", that documents the integration of football in the south. The ACC, SEC and SW conferences are the ones featured and they talk about the first black player in the conferences and the hardships endured, even from their teammates.

Game footage from that era (50's and 60's) shows officials with striped hats. I can't remember which conference it was. Other footage shows officials with long-sleeve white shirts (or sweaters) with a large "V" on the back originating from the shoulders. Even older footage had officials wearing that funny hat that I call a "motoring cap."

At least for several decades now, the uniform has been somewhat stabilized until the NFL came out with the flag football pants.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

I think the striped hats were used in the SEC. The shirts with the V on the front and back were used in the SWC. I remember my father, who worked in the MVC, had to get one of the V shirts for a split crew game down in Texas. All shirts were the regular, non-knit type.

I don't think the baseball style hats came in to use until the 50's. Before then, it was the white Ben Hogan type hats. Flags didn't start until the late 40's/early 50's. Before then it was a penalty horn.

Last edited by Jim D.; Fri Feb 20, 2009 at 02:27pm.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

I thought pinstripes on the caps were still common. Were these wider stripes?
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

They were equal thickness of black and white, like your shirt would be except thinner stripes.

Very strange looking and rather garish.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
In the movie, "Return of the Titans", we saw officials with striped hats. I thought it was really strange, like where did the director ever get the idea for these hats?

HBO currently has a documentary special, "Breaking the Huddle", that documents the integration of football in the south. The ACC, SEC and SW conferences are the ones featured and they talk about the first black player in the conferences and the hardships endured, even from their teammates.

Game footage from that era (50's and 60's) shows officials with striped hats. I can't remember which conference it was. Other footage shows officials with long-sleeve white shirts (or sweaters) with a large "V" on the back originating from the shoulders. Even older footage had officials wearing that funny hat that I call a "motoring cap."

At least for several decades now, the uniform has been somewhat stabilized until the NFL came out with the flag football pants.
I have not seen the documentary but heard about it and know that one of the players, Wilbur Hackett Jr., was a classmate and good friend of mine at Kentucky is featured.

While that has been a number of years I do not recall seeing a hat as described being worn in the SEC.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
I think the striped hats were used in the SEC. The shirts with the V on the front and back were used in the SWC. I remember my father, who worked in the MVC, had to get one of the V shirts for a split crew game down in Texas. All shirts were the regular, non-knit type.

I don't think the baseball style hats came in to use until the 50's. Before then, it was the white Ben Hogan type hats. Flags didn't start until the late 40's/early 50's. Before then it was a penalty horn.

Hi Jim,

My Father played @ Baylor University from 1948 - 1950. I have a photo of him with the Official behind him. The official was not wearing a hat, but he did have that V - neck sweater on.

sportingbecky