The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Flag Borders

I read the rather lengthy post regarding american flags. When I joined the college ranks in 2006 I learned from another official that gold bordered flags are for "Active Military Only." And, this excludes those even in reserves.

The NCAA went to White-bordered flags last year worn over our pocket while my high school state assn. requires the gold flag to be worn 2" from the collar on our backs in the center.

I brought this up to our chapter last year for consideration of "if we're going to wear a flag, we need to do it correct." From what I understand a high-ranking military official raised this two years ago when they saw a NCAA crew working a bowl game with gold borders. I informed a chapter executive board member of this last year and they are considering making the change. It was really an educational thing more than anything. Some people just don't know so I thought to share.

So, for those of you who are moving to the flags you should seriously consider white borders and do it the right way. I believe there's only one college conference who didn't convert but they got a new commish late last year. I'm guessing they'll change this year too.

And, I feel strongly they should be worn by the entire crew if being worn. Uniform = 'ONE form'
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 09:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Please post a national law, regulation or passage from the Uniform Military Code of Justice that states this. I'll bet you my first game check of next year that there isn't one.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge View Post
I brought this up to our chapter last year for consideration of "if we're going to wear a flag, we need to do it correct."
According to the flag code the correct way to do it would be to not wear a flag on an officiating uniform. I'm not claiming to know how the flag border colors work, but if you're already violating the flag code you might as well just use whatever color you feel like.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The flag code makes no mention of gold borders for active military only, but it does clearly state that flags are not to be used on athletic uniforms or in advertising.

Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

* (a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
* (b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
* (c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
* (d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
* (e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
* (f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
* (g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
* (h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
* (i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
* (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
* (k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Could an official's group be defined as a patriotic organization?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

* (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

The flag is not being used as a costume nor as an athletic uniform.

This should not apply in regard to the officials. The officials uniform is neither a costume nor an athletic uniform.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggo66 View Post
Could an official's group be defined as a patriotic organization?
... or could game officials be considered policemen?
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 11:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
* (j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform.

The flag is not being used as a costume nor as an athletic uniform.

This should not apply in regard to the officials. The officials uniform is neither a costume nor an athletic uniform.
I do not see sport's officials on this specifically enumerated list

Quote:
However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudge View Post
I read the rather lengthy post regarding american flags. When I joined the college ranks in 2006 I learned from another official that gold bordered flags are for "Active Military Only." And, this excludes those even in reserves.

As has been pointed out already, this is not cottect. Also, a strict interperetation of the U.S. flag code would seem to exclude sports officials from "legally" wearing the flag on their uniform.

So, as one has suggested previously, as long as you're breaking the flag code, who cares what border you use on the flag?

Last edited by MrUmpire; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 11:44pm.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Now every politician wears a flag pin on his or her lapel. The ruling on the flag states that "no part of the flag should be used as a costume or athletic uniform" (ie. no pants made of flag stripes etc.) The wearing of a flag patch is not the same as wearing part of a flag.

If a flag patch is worn, military regulations require that "The full-color U.S. flag cloth replica is worn so that the star field faces forward, or to the flag’s own right. When worn in this manner, the flag is facing to the observer’s right, and gives the effect of the flag flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the Colors into battle. As he charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left."
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:24am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
Now every politician wears a flag pin on his or her lapel. The ruling on the flag states that "no part of the flag should be used as a costume or athletic uniform" (ie. no pants made of flag stripes etc.) The wearing of a flag patch is not the same as wearing part of a flag.

Did this quote bring a mischeivous smile to anyone's face? The thought of policiticians and costumes in the same statement made me laugh.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D. View Post
The rule dates back to the Army's early history, when both mounted cavalry and infantry units would designate a standard bearer, who carried the Colors into battle. As he charged, his forward momentum caused the flag to stream back. Since the Stars and Stripes are mounted with the canton closest to the pole, that section stayed to the right, while the stripes flew to the left."
Unless you were standing on the standard bearer's left....

Around here, the flags are on our left sleave.

I, too, had heard about the gold for military only, but I'd heard it was for veterans. I don't know where it was written, though.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post

I, too, had heard about the gold for military only, but I'd heard it was for veterans. I don't know where it was written, though.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is simply a piece of military lore. One of those things that "everybody knows", you know, kind of like over the back and reaching in being fouls.

I do want to apologize, ljudge, my original post was rather snarky. I didn't intend to be that brash. Sorry.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth I did find a web site that contains a US Flag Manual -it's done by the Military Salute Project. It covers the wearing of flag patches and pins, but does not have any discussion of whether a white border or gold border is preferred. However it does have pictures of flag patches which are "officially authorized reditions of the the US Flag" and "have precedence over all othe patches and pins" and all of those pictured have gold borders.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
As has been pointed out already, this is not cottect. Also, a strict interperetation of the U.S. flag code would seem to exclude sports officials from "legally" wearing the flag on their uniform.

So, as one has suggested previously, as long as you're breaking the flag code, who cares what border you use on the flag?
As a group, we (officials) may naturally lean a little further towards exact compliance with existing rules, but a (negative) definition of bureaucracy defines it as, "when existing rules come in direct conflict with common sense, bureaucracy dictates blindly following the existing rule rather than reason the objective."

It's reasonable to presume that the primary objective of the U. S. Flag Code is to assure the American Flag is treated with the respect it has so rightly earned. Examples are shown as guidelines to present an idea of type actions are not allowed (Much like NF:9.4 provides limited examples of what type actions constitute Illegal Personal Contact).

Following the tragedy of 9/11/01 the NFHS and several State Associations, out of a feeling of deep respect and appreciation for our Armed Services, who currently stand in "harm's way" on our behalf, designated it's members authority (and in many cases instructions) to wear a small American Flag as a specific sign of respect in observance of that event and appreciation of the ongoing service rendered by our military.

Suggesting, somehow, that this overt gesture of respect and appreciation constitutes a violation of the U.S. Flag Code, I submit, is much more likely a misunderstanding of the primary objectives of the U.S. Flag Code.

Last edited by ajmc; Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:09pm.