The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 03:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

Suggesting, somehow, that this constitutes a violation of the U.S. Flag Code, I submit, is much more likely a misunderstanding of the primary objectives of the U.S. Flag Code.
Something akin to the "spirit of the rules"? Sorry, I had to.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Something akin to the "spirit of the rules"? Sorry, I had to.
You're exactly correct, but more importantly, like garlic, going overboard with something that's usually very beneficial, can ruin a meal or produce a disaster.

Last edited by ajmc; Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 03:22pm.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Following the tragedy of 9/11/01 the NFHS and several State Associations, out of a feeling of deep respect and appreciation for our Armed Services, who currently stand in "harm's way" on our behalf, designated it's members authority (and in many cases instructions) to wear a small American Flag as a specific sign of respect in observance of that event and appreciation of the ongoing service rendered by our military.
Can you show a reference where NF took a direct position on this? And all most states did was make the flag optional for officials. I do not know anyone that made it a requirement. But if you read the actual code, officials do not fit into the equation. And based on what I have read most people are not wearing the flag properly if you believe what borders are required or not.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Can you show a reference where NF took a direct position on this? And all most states did was make the flag optional for officials. I do not know anyone that made it a requirement. But if you read the actual code, officials do not fit into the equation. And based on what I have read most people are not wearing the flag properly if you believe what borders are required or not.

Peace
The borders don't bother me, I don't think that's written anywhere; and I've heard different standards on those. Not that it "bothers" me, but the part that's "against the code" is wearing it on the left sleeve. It should be worn on the right, if it's worn.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The borders don't bother me, I don't think that's written anywhere; and I've heard different standards on those. Not that it "bothers" me, but the part that's "against the code" is wearing it on the left sleeve. It should be worn on the right, if it's worn.
We can only wear the flag on the right shoulder because a state patch is on the left shoulder. The common flag worn (in football mind you) is the golden bordered flag. I was told (but never shown) that this was not proper because of the way the flag is going if there was a pole attached to the flag. Apparently the flag is "retreating" instead of going forward (in the same direction you are walking for example). I honestly do not know the answer to this, but this is more reason I do not put a flag on any other officiating uniform. It seems like people cannot agree on which is proper and my state has not told us either way which is allowed or not.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I honestly do not know the answer to this, but this is more reason I do not put a flag on any other officiating uniform. It seems like people cannot agree on which is proper and my state has not told us either way which is allowed or not.

Peace
This is the same reason I don't ear a flag as well. It seems that wearing a flag poses more problems than choosing not to, so I don't.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
Be honest, would it make any difference to you if I had Betsy Ross swear an affidavit? The best reference I have, which is the only one I need, is that my chapter interpreter, back in 2001, informed our chapter that the NYS Association had decided that all member officials would wear a small American flag in the center of their back, 2-2.5 inches below the collar for varsity football games, to show respect and appreciation for the American nation and the military who would stand in it's defense.

To this day, we took him at his word. There were no investigations, no wrtten orders, no verifications we all just went along with the program, as he explained it. To most, it seemed like a good idea and still does. At that time, and since, it has caused zero problems in my chapter, that I'm aware of. Each year our Secretary/ Treasurer has a supply of little flags he sells to members (for new shirts) at about $2.-$2.5/flag.

I don't agree that this display violates any intention of any flag code, and reject any suggestion that such a display is disrespectful, because I don't believe any disrespect was intended nor does anyone wearing these patches intend them to be a sign of disrespect.

I'm not aware of any regulations regarding wearing the flag that were written in response to 9/11/01, and that all regulations written before that date obviously did not consider that event, so do not relate to it.

I have absolutely no intention of, or interest in, persuading you to alter your perception of how, where or when to wear an American flag on your uniform, or person, nor do I have any interest in your interpretations of rules governing how, where or when I choose to wear, or display, one.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Be honest, would it make any difference to you if I had Betsy Ross swear an affidavit? The best reference I have, which is the only one I need, is that my chapter interpreter, back in 2001, informed our chapter that the NYS Association had decided that all member officials would wear a small American flag in the center of their back, 2-2.5 inches below the collar for varsity football games, to show respect and appreciation for the American nation and the military who would stand in it's defense.

To this day, we took him at his word. There were no investigations, no wrtten orders, no verifications we all just went along with the program, as he explained it. To most, it seemed like a good idea and still does. At that time, and since, it has caused zero problems in my chapter, that I'm aware of. Each year our Secretary/ Treasurer has a supply of little flags he sells to members (for new shirts) at about $2.-$2.5/flag.

I don't agree that this display violates any intention of any flag code, and reject any suggestion that such a display is disrespectful, because I don't believe any disrespect was intended nor does anyone wearing these patches intend them to be a sign of disrespect.

I'm not aware of any regulations regarding wearing the flag that were written in response to 9/11/01, and that all regulations written before that date obviously did not consider that event, so do not relate to it.

I have absolutely no intention of, or interest in, persuading you to alter your perception of how, where or when to wear an American flag on your uniform, or person, nor do I have any interest in your interpretations of rules governing how, where or when I choose to wear, or display, one.
Honestly, I do not care what others do. I do not wear one outside of my football crew. And if my crew said tomorrow “Take them off,” I would not object. It just is not something I want to fight either way because it really has nothing to do with what I am wearing the uniform for. And 9-11 did not mean the same thing to everyone in this country (I know that is hard to believe for you). And if you were patriotic before, why do you need a flag to represent this after the fact when we fought a war in Europe and other events that involved our country and military. I think you need to get people to honor the flag during the National Anthem first before I worry about what I have on a non-governmental uniform. If I was a Police officer or solider I would have absolutely no objection to wearing a flag. I am glad this is an option and I use that option when I can.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

This really isn't all that complex. If you work in an area that provides a choice, as to wearing a flag or not, then everyone can choose whether to do so, or not.

If you work in an area that madates wearing a flag, you still get to make a choice, whether or not you elect to comply with the mandate. There may be consequences to choosing non-compliance, but that's all part of choosing.

The important thing to remember is that none of us are competent to make either choice for anyone else, or question the choices others might make.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 01:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
This really isn't all that complex. If you work in an area that provides a choice, as to wearing a flag or not, then everyone can choose whether to do so, or not.

If you work in an area that madates wearing a flag, you still get to make a choice, whether or not you elect to comply with the mandate. There may be consequences to choosing non-compliance, but that's all part of choosing.

The important thing to remember is that none of us are competent to make either choice for anyone else, or question the choices others might make.
We realize it is not that complicated and that is why many have a choice and exersise that choice.

Peace