Thread: Flag Borders
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 06:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Be honest, would it make any difference to you if I had Betsy Ross swear an affidavit? The best reference I have, which is the only one I need, is that my chapter interpreter, back in 2001, informed our chapter that the NYS Association had decided that all member officials would wear a small American flag in the center of their back, 2-2.5 inches below the collar for varsity football games, to show respect and appreciation for the American nation and the military who would stand in it's defense.

To this day, we took him at his word. There were no investigations, no wrtten orders, no verifications we all just went along with the program, as he explained it. To most, it seemed like a good idea and still does. At that time, and since, it has caused zero problems in my chapter, that I'm aware of. Each year our Secretary/ Treasurer has a supply of little flags he sells to members (for new shirts) at about $2.-$2.5/flag.

I don't agree that this display violates any intention of any flag code, and reject any suggestion that such a display is disrespectful, because I don't believe any disrespect was intended nor does anyone wearing these patches intend them to be a sign of disrespect.

I'm not aware of any regulations regarding wearing the flag that were written in response to 9/11/01, and that all regulations written before that date obviously did not consider that event, so do not relate to it.

I have absolutely no intention of, or interest in, persuading you to alter your perception of how, where or when to wear an American flag on your uniform, or person, nor do I have any interest in your interpretations of rules governing how, where or when I choose to wear, or display, one.
Honestly, I do not care what others do. I do not wear one outside of my football crew. And if my crew said tomorrow “Take them off,” I would not object. It just is not something I want to fight either way because it really has nothing to do with what I am wearing the uniform for. And 9-11 did not mean the same thing to everyone in this country (I know that is hard to believe for you). And if you were patriotic before, why do you need a flag to represent this after the fact when we fought a war in Europe and other events that involved our country and military. I think you need to get people to honor the flag during the National Anthem first before I worry about what I have on a non-governmental uniform. If I was a Police officer or solider I would have absolutely no objection to wearing a flag. I am glad this is an option and I use that option when I can.

Peace