The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
No, the problem appears to be some people can't read or can't admit they made a mistake.
What does just after release of the ball mean to you? Unless the catch is made immediately after the release I don't know how anyone could reasonably not think the QB is still the passer.
What's even funnier is others who make statements that timing doesn't matter & even after it's shown yes it does, somehow I'm the one being ridiculous.
This was a fun thread to read.

From the original post sounds like a roughing call to me, of course, there could be a timing issue.

Forget quoting the rule book and use the space above the ears. A kicker becomes a kicker when the ball is legally kicked and until he regains his balance. Then comes the cheap shot.

Using the book for a moment, PSK requires the ball cross the expanded neutral zone and the foul is committed by R. Now how many times do coaches know exactly when the ball crosses the zone or really care, the answer is probably none.

Therefore, as long as the ball is high in the air and a cheap shot is put on the kicker I would have a roughing call. Fifteen yards and automatic 1st.

If the ball is on the ground or coming close to the ground and some enterprising player decides to do the kicker in sounds like unnecessary roughness enforced by rule as a PSK.

Judge the call by the tempo of the game. If the player cheap shots the kicker and his team is down 60-0, or, his team has been giving cheap shots all game, or, even, if the kicker has been playing a spectacular game and on and on, mete out the harshest penalty you can reasonably support be it roughing and automatic first to K or unnecessary roughness and 15 from the succeeding spot. Look for the motivation of the offending player.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hickland View Post
...Using the book for a moment, PSK requires the ball cross the expanded neutral zone and the foul is committed by R. Now how many times do coaches know exactly when the ball crosses the zone or really care, the answer is probably none.

Therefore, as long as the ball is high in the air and a cheap shot is put on the kicker I would have a roughing call. Fifteen yards and automatic 1st.
REPLY: Ed, it's no longer a requirement that the foul by R take place after the kick has crossed the expanded neutral zone. It was in the original rule back in 2003. But they changed it in 2004. Now the foul can take place anytime between the snap and the end of the kick and still be a PSK foul as long as all the criteria are met. True, the kick must cross the ENZ, but not necessarily before the foul by R. And the foul must take place beyond the ENZ.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
No, the problem appears to be some people can't read or can't admit they made a mistake.
What does just after release of the ball mean to you? Unless the catch is made immediately after the release I don't know how anyone could reasonably not think the QB is still the passer.
What's even funnier is others who make statements that timing doesn't matter & even after it's shown yes it does, somehow I'm the one being ridiculous.
Mike, you seem intent on arguing facts that are not in dispute. Your comment about 'others' making statements about timing is clearly directed at me. Allow me to clear up any misunderstanding.

In no way did I mean to suggest that a defender should be penalized for roughing if he contacts the passer just as he's releasing the ball and contact is unavoidable.

I was directing my comment at the time after the ball is released. From the definitions if the ball is still in flight the QB or whoever threw the pass is still a passer (FED 2-32-11).

I hope this clears things up for you.
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: Ed, it's no longer a requirement that the foul by R take place after the kick has crossed the expanded neutral zone. It was in the original rule back in 2003. But they changed it in 2004. Now the foul can take place anytime between the snap and the end of the kick and still be a PSK foul as long as all the criteria are met. True, the kick must cross the ENZ, but not necessarily before the foul by R. And the foul must take place beyond the ENZ.
Thanks for that correction.