Thread: Psk
View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 26, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
No, the problem appears to be some people can't read or can't admit they made a mistake.
What does just after release of the ball mean to you? Unless the catch is made immediately after the release I don't know how anyone could reasonably not think the QB is still the passer.
What's even funnier is others who make statements that timing doesn't matter & even after it's shown yes it does, somehow I'm the one being ridiculous.
This was a fun thread to read.

From the original post sounds like a roughing call to me, of course, there could be a timing issue.

Forget quoting the rule book and use the space above the ears. A kicker becomes a kicker when the ball is legally kicked and until he regains his balance. Then comes the cheap shot.

Using the book for a moment, PSK requires the ball cross the expanded neutral zone and the foul is committed by R. Now how many times do coaches know exactly when the ball crosses the zone or really care, the answer is probably none.

Therefore, as long as the ball is high in the air and a cheap shot is put on the kicker I would have a roughing call. Fifteen yards and automatic 1st.

If the ball is on the ground or coming close to the ground and some enterprising player decides to do the kicker in sounds like unnecessary roughness enforced by rule as a PSK.

Judge the call by the tempo of the game. If the player cheap shots the kicker and his team is down 60-0, or, his team has been giving cheap shots all game, or, even, if the kicker has been playing a spectacular game and on and on, mete out the harshest penalty you can reasonably support be it roughing and automatic first to K or unnecessary roughness and 15 from the succeeding spot. Look for the motivation of the offending player.