The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Of course they are terrible. They are only the cream of the crop in a system that evaluates officials more closely than in any other pro sport. Probably none of the guys sitting at home wopuld have made that holding call right? Go away fanboy.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Of course they are terrible. They are only the cream of the crop in a system that evaluates officials more closely than in any other pro sport. Probably none of the guys sitting at home wopuld have made that holding call right? Go away fanboy.
I knew I'd get a quick reply out of the "Defend at all costs" crowd. Of course none of you would ever admit that they might have missed a call.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I knew I'd get a quick reply out of the "Defend at all costs" crowd. Of course none of you would ever admit that they might have missed a call.

So is that the only reason you posted this? To troll the board and get replies about it?

I personally think they've done a pretty good job so far. I thought the Roughing the Holder and one of the late hit calls were a little ticky-tacky, but I also think they got every challenge review correct. I'm also watching the game with people who just love to question and bash each call, hence is why I'm upstairs right now.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There have been calls missed tonight (as there are in EVERY game) but THAT hold was not one of them
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

And of course they don't review it when Warner's arm was going forward at the end of the game. Congrats to the Steelers on another gift of a Super Bowl courtesy of the NFL.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

I know very little about officiating football. Also, in the interest of full disclosure, I had absolutely NO stake in this year's Super Bowl ("my team" wasn't playing...and I didn't bet).

With that said: I thought, as a neutral observer, that the officiating crew did an outstanding job tonight. You had two teams that did not play with any discipline and were "chippy". I thought the crew did a very good job, in what, I have to believe, was a difficult came to officiate.

Just my, "I'm a baseball umpire," opinion.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:32pm
Chain of Fools

Actually it was reviewed in the booth

and word sent down that it was not a pass attempt.

Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:32pm
Chain of Fools

And another pic

nm

Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
The only call that I saw that I disagreed with was the roughing the passer against the Cards. I think every holding call was exactly right, but I should point out that I didn't see a good portion of the second quarter. The roughing the holder seemed like a no-brainer.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the ref's did a good job.. yes they are gonna miss some calls that is part of the game.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

horrible officiating

not to mention there was holding on the 100 yd return by #26 of the steelers on Kurt Warner, grabbed his jersey and threw him down

Im sick of watching pittsburgh get all the calls, seems like everytime I watch their game they get all the breaks
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
The only call that I saw that I disagreed with was the roughing the passer against the Cards. I think every holding call was exactly right, but I should point out that I didn't see a good portion of the second quarter. The roughing the holder seemed like a no-brainer.
I can't believe anyone would argue the roughing the holder call. It was blatant and it was right in front of the one guy who is watching for exactly that.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

oh yeah and Im not a cardinals fan

caint wait to hear all of the excuses for your boys.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:53pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I can't believe anyone would argue the roughing the holder call. It was blatant and it was right in front of the one guy who is watching for exactly that.
He's talking about the passer not the holder. The penalty he's talking about came before the holder penalty.

Edit: IMO, the crew did a good job.

Last edited by tjones1; Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 11:05pm.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As usual, the NFL referees are terrible in the Super Bowl. The defensive holding on the Cardinals was flat terrible just now.

The personal foul for roughing the QB against Arizona that gave Pittsburgh the first down was horrible.

The personal foul for roughing the holder was a joke on the field goal.

They missed an obvious block in the back against Pittsburgh on the 100 yard return at the end of the first half.

It was the same way the last time the Steelers were in the Super Bowl.
I don't know what game you're watch rosebud, but that was probably one of the best officiated games of the season.
I thought the RTP call Walt mentioned was a little picky but overall they had a "super" game. Pittsburgh was not given anything and that is coming from someone who does not care for the Steelers.
I do though, care about the game and it was exciting, competitive and superbly officiated.