Old Fri Jan 16, 2009, 12:58pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Super Bowl XLIII (43) Crew

Referee = Terry McAulay #77
Umpire = Roy Ellison #81 (Riveron)
Head Linesman =
Line Judge = Mark Perlman #9 (Leavy)
Side Judge =
Field Judge = Greg Gautreaux #80 (Steratore)
Back Judge =

Replay Official =
Video Operator =

Alternate Referee =
Alternate Umpire =
Alternate Wing =
Alternate Deep Wing =
Alternate Back Judge =
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:32pm

SUPER BOWL XLIII
Pittsburgh vs. Arizona
R- Terry McAulay #77
U- Roy Ellison #81
HL- Derick Bowers #74
LJ- Mark Perlman #9
FJ- Greg Gautreaux #80
SJ- Michael Banks #72
BJ- Keith Ferguson #61
ALT- Ron Winter #14
ALT- Darrell Jenkins #76
ALT- Darryll Lewis #130
ALT- Doug Rosenbaum #67
ALT- Billy Smith #2

PRO BOWL
AFC vs. NFC
R- Scott Green #19
U- Jim Quirk #5
HL- Paul Weidner #87
LJ- Gary Arthur #108
FJ- Boris Cheek #41
SJ- Rick Patterson #15
BJ- Bob Waggoner #25
ALT- Jeff Bergman #32
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
The umpire in the Pro Bowl game, Jim Quirk, is retiring after this season. Nice going away gift, a trip to Hawaii. Good for him.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Alternate Referee =
Alternate Umpire =
Alternate Wing =
Alternate Deep Wing =
Alternate Back Judge =
At this point, why doesn't the NFL just go with an entire back up crew? (I guess I should say 'the National Football League' if I ever want to be an NFL employee).

As a side point, has an official ever had to be replaced during an NFL game (injury, illness, etc.)? Just curious
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 04:37pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
At this point, why doesn't the NFL just go with an entire back up crew? (I guess I should say 'the National Football League' if I ever want to be an NFL employee).

As a side point, has an official ever had to be replaced during an NFL game (injury, illness, etc.)? Just curious
Alternates to the SB crew are paid either a full game fee, or a half-game fee, and a full game fee if they go into the game. Yes, only 2 more positions would be an entire crew, so why not pay the extra coin? Responsible spending perhaps.

In the AFC final, the HL was replaced near halftime: Carl Johnson replaced Ed Camp (HL) towards the end of the 1st half and remained in for the remainder of the game. Morelli scrambled to the opposite sideline to notify Johnson that Camp was apparently ill/injured after the Ravens touchdown. Immediately after the extra point, Camp gingerly walked off the field and Johnson replaced him. This crew on a very quick turn around without missing a blink. Johnson jumped right in and the game continued smoothly.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

I can't see as needing more than 2 or possibly 3 alternates in any game. One ready to take over for the R, one possibly for the U, and the other for the wings and deep officials.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
...As a side point, has an official ever had to be replaced during an NFL game (injury, illness, etc.)? Just curious
REPLY: Just last evening, HL Ed Camp had to leave the Balt-Pitt AFC Championship game with a partial tear to his Achilles tendon. Alternate Carl Johnson replaced him for the second half. Curiously enough, Camp was an alternate on last year's NYG-NE Super Bowl, but didn't see any field time.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:41pm

Quote:
AIn the AFC final, the HL was replaced near halftime: Carl Johnson replaced Ed Camp (HL) towards the end of the 1st half and remained in for the remainder of the game. Morelli scrambled to the opposite sideline to notify Johnson that Camp was apparently ill/injured after the Ravens touchdown. Immediately after the extra point, Camp gingerly walked off the field and Johnson replaced him. This crew on a very quick turn around without missing a blink. Johnson jumped right in and the game continued smoothly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
REPLY: Just last evening, HL Ed Camp had to leave the Balt-Pitt AFC Championship game with a partial tear to his Achilles tendon. Alternate Carl Johnson replaced him for the second half. Curiously enough, Camp was an alternate on last year's NYG-NE Super Bowl, but didn't see any field time.
You don't say!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You don't say!
REPLY: JR...shows you I don't read as much as I should... I did speak to Ed who said it was a partial tear of the Achilles tendon.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I can't see as needing more than 2 or possibly 3 alternates in any game. One ready to take over for the R, one possibly for the U, and the other for the wings and deep officials.
So you want a guy who worked BJ all year to come in and work LJ in the Super Bowl? The NFL's system works great as the backup actually has worked at that position all season.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Ancient history but former head of the referee department Jerry Seeman who at the time was an R replaced a wing official. Think it was Jerry after he took over the department increased the number of alternates.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:21pm

What I find interesting is that the responsibilities of the FJ and SJ are virtually identical. I can't imagine what one would do that the other wouldn't, aside some once-a-game procedural differences.

If the second-highest rated FJ graded better than the highest graded SJ, why not use two FJs as the deep wings?
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...In the AFC final, the HL was replaced near halftime: Carl Johnson replaced Ed Camp (HL) towards the end of the 1st half and remained in for the remainder of the game. Morelli scrambled to the opposite sideline to notify Johnson that Camp was apparently ill/injured after the Ravens touchdown. Immediately after the extra point, Camp gingerly walked off the field and Johnson replaced him. This crew on a very quick turn around without missing a blink. Johnson jumped right in and the game continued smoothly.
REPLY: Update from Ed: Partial tear of Achilles...no surgery necessary...Rest...meds...6-8 weeks of physical therapy...and a Tom Dempsey boot...Dr. expects full recovery.
Old Thu Jan 22, 2009, 01:48pm

That's good news Bob. If the NFL guys are anything like me, the higher level they work, the more they don't want to leave unvoluntarily.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

As usual, the NFL referees are terrible in the Super Bowl. The defensive holding on the Cardinals was flat terrible just now.

The personal foul for roughing the QB against Arizona that gave Pittsburgh the first down was horrible.

The personal foul for roughing the holder was a joke on the field goal.

They missed an obvious block in the back against Pittsburgh on the 100 yard return at the end of the first half.

It was the same way the last time the Steelers were in the Super Bowl.

Last edited by zm1283; Sun Feb 01, 2009 at 09:18pm.