The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I honestly don't understand the lovefest for Mike Carey. I think his mechanics are awful -- some of the worst in the league. I would love to know why guys think he is such a good R.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontheref View Post
I think it was three years ago now that the NFL reversed itself on SB crews and sent entire crews rather than all star crews. You may recall the Giants v San Francisco game where there was a field goal that was missed and a penalty and they basically ignored a penalty. I may be wrong on the particulars from that one. I think the number one rated crew during the year still goes. But I could be wrong.
I may be misunderstanding your statement, but I doubt that the Giants and 49ers played against each other in the Super Bowl.
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I honestly don't understand the lovefest for Mike Carey. I think his mechanics are awful -- some of the worst in the league. I would love to know why guys think he is such a good R.
Awful mechanics? really?
Old Wed Dec 10, 2008, 11:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Bad mechanics? Are you serious?

You are going to have to explain this one.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 07:21am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I sorta agree.

Regarding Mike Carey's mechanics, I think he is too robotic. Yes, his mechanics are crisp, clear and consistent. I would take his mechanics over say, Tom White's mechanics. But I don't see any grace, or flow, with his mechanics. I prefer the mechanics of Hochuli (surprise), Steratore. IIRC, Vinovich has nicer mechanics as well. I would take Carey's mechanics over Corrente, for example. The rest, I am indifferent to, although I think Winter should have been promoted.
Old Thu Dec 11, 2008, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking there's at least one guy in New York who disagrees.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are going to have to explain this one.
Are we talking about the same guy -- the one who worked the SB last year? If so, there isn't any explanation necessary -- if you've actually watched him. We can start with the way he slings his arm from one side to another when he's pointing out the team who the foul was against. I can't think of others off the top of my head right now, but I'll look for him next weekend (he worked tonight, I saw, but didn't watch more than 30 seconds of the game) and give others.

I don't like guys that draw attention to themselves through weird stuff that isn't necessary. If the guy in New York likes him, fine. He doesn't have to get my approval, but I stand by my statements. Incidentally, I wouldn't discount some political aspects to certain guys getting good assignments. It happens at every other level (I'll be honest: some people in my chapter think I've benefited from this, so I'm not speaking from bitterness), so you can't tell me it doesn't exist in pro sports.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 02:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Are we talking about the same guy -- the one who worked the SB last year? If so, there isn't any explanation necessary -- if you've actually watched him. We can start with the way he slings his arm from one side to another when he's pointing out the team who the foul was against. I can't think of others off the top of my head right now, but I'll look for him next weekend (he worked tonight, I saw, but didn't watch more than 30 seconds of the game) and give others.
That is a stylistic issue and something that everyone would not agree with. I know I do not worry about that kind of thing. That is the way he signals, so what? Then again I do not judge officials only based on something stylistic as to how they do something mechanically. The NFL must not have a problem with it, he did after all work the Super Bowl last year.

Quote:
I don't like guys that draw attention to themselves through weird stuff that isn't necessary. If the guy in New York likes him, fine. He doesn't have to get my approval, but I stand by my statements. Incidentally, I wouldn't discount some political aspects to certain guys getting good assignments. It happens at every other level (I'll be honest: some people in my chapter think I've benefited from this, so I'm not speaking from bitterness), so you can't tell me it doesn't exist in pro sports.
Well if that is your judgment, then the very person that we are talking about in the topic of this thread could be accused of the very same thing. And if you do not want people to draw attention to themselves, then you really should not be looking at any official at any level in any major sport that is constantly on TV. Officials at that level do not have to do anything to bring attention to themselves, they are already bringing attention to themselves by the fact they are on the game. Even at the lower levels, if you are on TV someone notices your little idiocracies and have opinions about them. I should know, I was on TV as a Referee in October.

And the issue of politics is lame. This has nothing to do with this conversation and the fact that you raised it really lessens your point of view on this. Not every Referee at any level has the same mannerisms or signals. I know as a basketball official where I have to report fouls, you can hardly find officials that do their reporting exactly the same. But you have not said anything that shows Carey does anything wrong or incorrect. You just have a personal dislike to his mannerisms. But to say that he has bad mechanics is laughable. You have to give more than mannerisms as evidence of bad mechanics.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Carey's movements are very precise, almost military.

That's fine. There's room for individualism as long as the signals are clear, which is why they exist in the first place.

I used to laugh at Dutch Rennert, the old major league umpire, who used to be really demonstrative in his strike calls, leaning way way way to one side and pointing to signal a strike.

That was his style. I wouldn't have been comfortable doing it, but that's just me. It worked for him.

Carey's style works for him. To say his mechanics are different from most, sure, you can say that. But they're not sloppy. And they're not "bad" mechanics by any means. I don't know the guy, but I am just going to guess that he's not doing it the way he does it to draw attention to himself. You can't get too far in this avocation being a showboat.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
I still think he is the beat.... then a very close 2nd is Mike Carey
I second that!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post

B Kukar......2 (1 WC, 1 CC)
I miss Bernie Kukar and his "Personal fahls" (like how he couldn't say foul correctly)