The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Football books?

I was wondering why football doesn't have any training books like baseball does? In baseball we have college books for mechanics ( I know there is a CCA for College Football) but why no training books.. I.e. In Baseball there is the PBUC two umpires, and the PBUC 3 and 4 umpires manuals. unless I cant find the books.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

What's wrong with just reading the rule book as study? Plus, who needs study guide when you got different officials discussion boards such as this one.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

There are mechanics books for FB. The NF has an officials manual, which has the mechanics and such and there are the CCA manuals for NCAA rules.
Old Sun Nov 09, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT View Post
There are mechanics books for FB. The NF has an officials manual, which has the mechanics and such and there are the CCA manuals for NCAA rules.
You can't compare the PBUC "red book" Manual for the 2 Umpire System to the CCA or NFHS manuals. The CCA and Federaton books are mechanics manuals, while the red book is more of a training style book, if that makes sense.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
You can't compare the PBUC "red book" Manual for the 2 Umpire System to the CCA or NFHS manuals. The CCA and Federaton books are mechanics manuals, while the red book is more of a training style book, if that makes sense.
I know what the red book is i have both the red and the blue one.... and you are right you cant compare them to the CCA... But i wanted to know if there was any training type, of books out there.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
What's wrong with just reading the rule book as study? Plus, who needs study guide when you got different officials discussion boards such as this one.
I do read the book.. But for example in the baseball red and blue book ( I know baseball in this fourm) but they give a ton of examples of plays and ways to handle them, more advance mechanics. The NFHS casebook doesn't... thanks though...and BTW I love these discussion boards.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

You might consider Reddings a training manual, though it doesn't have an exact parallel in baseball.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
You might consider Reddings a training manual, though it doesn't have an exact parallel in baseball.
Thanks I will check it out.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

I do think this is an area, that could be explored and improved.

I do think there are many areas of the country that don't have good or any training for the younger officials. Without proper training officials get frustrated and disenchanted and end up giving it up. Or develope bad habits or wrong fundamentals.

I have had conversations with other refs about rules and ended up with different answers from each. Go back read the rules and understand how each could come up with their answer. Then try to find what is the correct answer and find no guidance, other than other officials opinions.

I've heard coaches tell me they can do this one week and not the next. I think more guidance, training, and knowlege resources would be very helpful.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2008, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Thanks I will check it out.
Reddings is a rules study book. The PBUC red book and blue book are mechanics along with pretty much everything else you could need to know such as what time to arrive at the stadium to the process to signal substitutions to the scorer. The thing is, PBUC writes the books for use by their umpires, there is no equivalent to PBUC in football officiating so there aren't any training materials. I would think the NFL would have a comparable book, but as far as I know it is not available to the public if there indeed is one.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
I would think the NFL would have a comparable book, but as far as I know it is not available to the public if there indeed is one.
That would be nice if they had one huh?
Old Tue Nov 11, 2008, 09:58am
Chain of Fools

These are recommendations that should be

addressed to USA Football as they seem interested in improving the game from all facets.

The Fed is, sadly, slow in developing tools and resources.

I know that one of the USA-FB guys is a contributor to one of the other boards and they a USA Football section on that board. Might be a good place to suggest it.