The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Mich St/ Mich

Can anyone who knows NCAA rule explain the 1st Mich TD? The receiver's first contact was with the pylon which I thought would be OB. We were in an adult beverage establishment for our postgame and had no sound. It appeared that Witovet( I think) said it was a TD because he hit the pylon. I know that if the ball hits the pylon, it's a TD as it is on the GL, but this explaination seemed puzzling.

I'm pretty sure HS rules are different.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVED21 View Post
Can anyone who knows NCAA rule explain the 1st Mich TD? The receiver's first contact was with the pylon which I thought would be OB. We were in an adult beverage establishment for our postgame and had no sound. It appeared that Witovet( I think) said it was a TD because he hit the pylon. I know that if the ball hits the pylon, it's a TD as it is on the GL, but this explaination seemed puzzling.

I'm pretty sure HS rules are different.
In ALL three rule books, FED, NCAA and NFL, the pylons are considered part of the goal line.

Bob
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 08:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

I did not see the play so I need some clarification. What exactly contacted the pylon? The ball? A part of the player's body?

This could be a TD based on a lot of things. It could be just an out of bounds play based on what touches the pylon.

The pylon is considered out of bounds, but the pylon is also in the end zone (if placed properly).

Peace
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

His foot landed on the pylon and no other part of his body touched anything inbounds.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 09:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Then that is an incomplete pass. The only thing that could make that a completed pass is if they were dragged out of bounds while airborne on the pass. At least that was the NCAA Rule. I am not sure that changed.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra View Post
In ALL three rule books, FED, NCAA and NFL, the pylons are considered part of the goal line.

Bob
No, the pylon is an object which marks the intersection of the goal line and sideline. It is not part of the goal line. What happens when a player or ball touches the pylon depends on the situation.
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 11:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
No, the pylon is an object which marks the intersection of the goal line and sideline. It is not part of the goal line. What happens when a player or ball touches the pylon depends on the situation.
The pylon is considered out of bounds and in the end zone. I cannot think of a time that you hit the pylon (on the goal line) where you are not considered in the end zone. The issue is whether there is a touchdown, touchback or safety or down short of the end zone based on what touches the pylon.

Peace
Old Sat Oct 25, 2008, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The pylon is considered out of bounds and in the end zone. I cannot think of a time that you hit the pylon (on the goal line) where you are not considered in the end zone. The issue is whether there is a touchdown, touchback or safety or down short of the end zone based on what touches the pylon.

Peace
That is the point. To say that the pylon is part of the goal line is confusing. The goal line is painted on the field and is in bounds. The pylon is out of bounds.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

interesting

It was called no catch on the field. Other than hitting the pylon, nothing came down in bounds. I was rooting for Michigan and I couldnt believe it was being reviewed because it wasn't close. I was stunned by the overturn.

The sideline reporter asked MSU's coach at halftime what the explaination was from the referee and the coach said all the R told him was to please remember no official on the field called it a TD and no one on the field was responsible for that ruling. If that's true, it's quite and indictment.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Mood Risin View Post
It was called no catch on the field. Other than hitting the pylon, nothing came down in bounds. I was rooting for Michigan and I couldnt believe it was being reviewed because it wasn't close. I was stunned by the overturn.

The sideline reporter asked MSU's coach at halftime what the explaination was from the referee and the coach said all the R told him was to please remember no official on the field called it a TD and no one on the field was responsible for that ruling. If that's true, it's quite and indictment.
That's why I asked the question. I too was stunned at the reversal.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVED21 View Post
That's why I asked the question. I too was stunned at the reversal.
I thought instant replay was instituted to correct missed calls, not change correct calls.

Wonder what the conversation between the Referee and the Replay booth was like on that one?
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Only video I have found so far (might want to mute the volume)

YouTube - MSU vs Michigan (2008 rivalry!!) 35-21 MSU
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Looked like his left toe tapped in but his right foot was already down OOB. Interesting overturn and more interesting explanation.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

That would be tough to be a WH and have your reputation affected by the decision of a hidden replay official.

At least in the NFL the WH gets to make his own decision.
Old Sun Oct 26, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

We work NCAA Rules here in the UK.

My understanding is that,

If a runner with possession of the ball dives for the pylon and the ball hits the pylon - TD. The pylon is in the EZ and OOB. I guess the philosophy is that the ball breaks the plane of the GL before being OOB.

If a player gets the ball while he is airborne, then the catch is not complete until he comes down inbounds (and maintains possession of the ball). If the player comes down and first contact is with the pylon, then he is OOB. I guess the philosophy difference from the running play example is that the airborne receiver does not have possession when he breaks the plane.

I've watched the (poor quality YouTube) film and the FJ was in a good position to rule on it, and I think he got it right. Not sure what rationale the Reply booth might have had to overrule the FJ. Perhaps the BigTen will make a statement subsequently.