The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Rookie question here:

I've been having problems lately (mostly in two-man, but occasionally three man) as a wing with coaches and players saying there should be some holding calls being made.

They haven't done much passing, so it's mostly on running plays.

If a ball carrier is coming your way on a sweep or an off-tackle play, do you not watch the ball carrier (because you're going to have to get the spot)? Do you have to keep him in one corner of your eye and watch blockers for holding or other illegal blocks? Is this a skill that you just get better at? I can open up wide and keep the play in front of me, but as a wing sometimes there's only so far back you can go (especially if the play starts on the hash on your side).

When the ball goes to the other side, I try to let the covering official take care of the spot and stuff, and clean up behind the play to see if there's anything (though if it's behind the play, if it's just incidental, do you worry about it at all other than a talk-to?)

Just curious what the veterans think. Had some chirping tonight and I have another game tomorrow, and I want to know how to get better at this.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Wed Oct 13, 2004, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Like you asked, this mainly comes with experience. I don't really look at the ball carrier, I can easily watch him out of the corner of my eye, once I see he is being tackled(or about to be) I will take glances back and forth.

One thing to remember, coaches aren't much of a trustable source.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack
Rookie question here:

I've been having problems lately (mostly in two-man, but occasionally three man) as a wing with coaches and players saying there should be some holding calls being made.

TWO MAN, THREE MAN! You're gonna miss a lot of stuff with less than 4 officials on the field. There's a reason that the best levels of football have at least 6 zebras on a game.

You must prioritize what your eyes look at. Somebody has to watch the ball. With only two officials, that leaves one guy to watch 21 other players and their activities. You're bound to miss 80% or more of the infractions with those kinds of odds.

When you get to a full complement of officials, you'll have assignments of coverage, just like the players have assignments. Until then, do the best you can and don't worry about what you miss.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

2 things you learn with time. 1 - coaches ALWAYS see holding more often than it happens, and 2 - watch the play, not the player (this gets easier the more you officiate).
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Can't add much more to what has been said except what I would do. Two man crew- no way, 3 man crew- I'm griping to someone to get me a fourth (unless it's pee wee). 4 man crew- getting better. 5 man crew- now were talking. Coaches realize that with 2 officials that you can't see everything so they are trying to beg for a call. You could say (and I'm only joking, so don't say this) "Coach, that's the umpires call, oops we don't have an umpire. Well I guess you don't get any holding calls tonight."
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
You'll never see it all. Watch the ball to get an idea of where it's going. Then watch the lead blocks. If the DE or OLB is being held you want to get it. If it's behind the play and has no bearing it's not a hold.

I read a recent article outlining what to call and when. Maybe the author will add some insight.

Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 09:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Halo

OverAndBack,

You should be watching what we call the "halo." That means you watch the ball, but you are aware of the blockers around the ball (or potential blockers). With two officials that can be even harder. There is no good way to officicate with only two guys, so you are going to miss stuff. So tell the coaches if they want all those calls made, hire more than two officials.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp

I read a recent article outlining what to call and when. Maybe the author will add some insight.

REPLY: As I recall it was published in the Fall, 2004 NFHS Official's Quarterly. If anyone needs a copy, let me know. I think I can scare up a MS-Word version of the article with a picture of the author suitable for framing!
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Halo and point of attack.

What JR said about the halo is very useful.

I would also say that you need to find the point of attack and focus your energies there.

For example, sweep to your side, you want to look at the blocks in front of and to the sides of the runner. The trailing official will cover the blocks and other action behind the runner.

If I'm on the line as the H or L then I read the play as follows: snap, tackle, back. The most important read at the snap is the action of the offensive tackle closest to you. You need to read his initial action and determine if the play is a run or a pass. If pass then you pick-up your eligible receivers and related defenders. If run you look for clues where the point of attack will be: for example, as the umpire I'll follow the guard if he pulls or if there is a double-team block by the guard and the tackle then the run will probably occur there.

So in a nutshell: once you determine the point of attack, then officiate watching the halo around the ball. Scan the halo area, then focus on the individual blocks and other action, then react (no-call or flag), if no-call, then go back to scanning as you adjust your position to get the best look at your halo area.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. That's helpful. I have a (three-man) game in two hours, I'll try to put that to good use.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

"I have a (three-man) game in two hours, I'll try to put that to good use."

They don't play eleven man? (or to be PC) eleven person?
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Alaska - throw in a wink-face every now and then to indicate sarcasm... knowing these guys, someone might think you were serious!

Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:

REPLY: As I recall it was published in the Fall, 2004 NFHS Official's Quarterly. If anyone needs a copy, let me know. I think I can scare up a MS-Word version of the article with a picture of the author suitable for framing!
Do we have to take the photo? (kidding)

We used your article as the basis of our pre-game last week.
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp

I'm not so sure I've seen it, can you email it to me?
Old Thu Oct 14, 2004, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

You can read it here.

http://www.njfoa.org/Kick-off/Kickof...ld%20Throw.htm