The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Frank Deford gave an interview to Referee in which he basically calls for full press access to officials. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is there really any legitimate reason that officials shouldn't be allowed to talk to members of the general press ever?

Obviously, you don't want an official to seek out the coverage to promote him/herself, but you could deal with those individuals on a case-by-case basis as you needed to.

Any thoughts?

Chuck
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I think that officials would be able to help eliminate some of the misconceptions about officiating, rules, and definitely controversial plays or rulings. If Phil Luckett had had an opportunity to expain what actually happened in the Detroit/Pittsburgh coin flip, it would have helped clear the air and proved that his call was correct. Yet, the powers that be have always stayed away from this type thing.

I'm not sure what Deford means by "full press coverage." I don't see a need for a news conference after every game. But it wouldn't hurt for a pool reporter to be picked to ask questions or a statement to be released explaining a given situation.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 04:44pm
Esteemed Participant

I think Deford is dead wrong on this one...maybe there should be a press liason type person at the different levels who handles rules questions and clears up misconceptions, but I certainly don't want to have to answer reporters questions about calls...look what they do to coaches - "Why did you run that play?" "Given his poor performance up to this point, why was player X on the court at this point in the game", etc., etc...would you want reporters asking you questions like "The 4th foul on such-and-such was a real turning point in the game. Did you consider that before blowing your whistle?" What an ugly can of worms would be opened up...
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
What an ugly can of worms would be opened up...
Well spoken!
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

For the NCAA Tournament, a pool reporter is allowed to go to the officials' locker room to get a clarification if a fight (or similar situation) occurs or if a call is made which the basketball committee thinks it would be beneficial to explain. The calling official does not have to give the rule interpretation if he does not want to - either the R or the alternate would in this case.
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Certain types of press coverage would be disastrous, but couldn't we turn someone like BktBallRef or Padgett or DeNucci loose on Billy Packer? Forget the game -- the commentary would be entertaining enough!
Old Wed Mar 27, 2002, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just read this board and McGriffÂ’s board and I think you will see why I think it is a terrible idea. Granted, the boards are populated by all levels of refs. Even taking that into consideration, how many times do we have 100% agreement?

All we need is one ref to say one thing about a situation and another one to say something different.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

I Would Be Very Wary of This Proposal

I would be very careful about endorsing full-blown access by reporters to any sports officials. Reporters ask tough questions for a living... they do it every day. We officials are no more skilled in answering sneaky "why did you call that" questions than they are in officiating the contest. A knowledgeable official as an interpreter? Fine. The on-the-floor officials? Not me.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 03:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Certain types of press coverage would be disastrous, but couldn't we turn someone like BktBallRef or Padgett or DeNucci loose on Billy Packer? Forget the game -- the commentary would be entertaining enough!

I am would be honored for such a position, but I might want to strangle Packer. The funny thing is that, for years now, Hank Nichols has addressed the press before the start of the NCAA season about rules, mechanics, etc., and it seems that his presentation goes in one ear and out the other. One year Hank, because of other commitments, could not make the presentation and a conference supervisor (a retired Big East official, and still very active as a H.S. and college interpreter), gave the presentation. He said that Packer was the biggest jerk of them all. His position is, that Packer will say anything to cause a controversy, when it comes to officiating.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Good point Mark. I don't think the press is interested in the officials point of view. They have access to many people who can explain the rule. i.e. Officialforum.com, Referee Mag. Many people can explain any situation in a game. This would only give the press an opportunity to catch an official saying something wrong. There is no such thing as a perfectly called game. Many opportunities to hammer officials and get them to say "yes i blew it". Then the press would be calling for penalties for the officials.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 04:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
would you want reporters asking you questions like "The 4th foul on such-and-such was a real turning point in the game. Did you consider that before blowing your whistle?"
Personally, I would love the opportunity to answer asinine questions like the one above. My reply would be something like, "If that player fouling out was such a terrible thing to happen to his team, why don't you ask him why he committed his fifth foul? Or ask his coach why he was still in the game early in the third quarter with four fouls. That's a real brain-teaser.

Hey - he committed it, all I did was point it out to everybody when he did it. That's my job. If you think I am supposed to change the rules of the game depending on how many fouls a certain player has, then petition the NF rules committee to put in a rule saying that a fifth foul cannot be called on a "star player" unless the foul results in reconstructive surgery for the player who got fouled. I'm sure they'll seriously consider a suggestion like that from a real expert as you. And, by the way, someone just puked on your shoes.

Now get out of here before I throw a chair at your ugly face. Oh yeah, I'll apologize if you can tell me the four elements needed for an over-and-back violation. You do know we have violations in basketball, don't you? Also, please tell me what paper you work for since I have to wrap some fish on the way home. Thanks, Brainiac. Next question."

I think that went well, don't you?

Actually, appointing a spokesman, er, I mean spokesperson (dammit, Juulie, you got me again) to speak for all the refs in an area or association is a great idea. I vote for Dave.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

The pool reporter concept, as it works in the NCAA (I work as a sports information director at a D-III college), is just fine. If there is a controversial call, a pool reporter (or host SID in some instances at a tournament) should be able to get comments from the officials.

The officials are participants in the game, just like the players and coaches. If a controversial call occurs that has an effect (either direct or implied) on the game, officials should be made available to a pool reporter to answer questions.

I've seen it work on a handful of occasions (I've worked as a volunteer on media relations staffs for several NCAA D-I tournaments in the Twin Cities, including last year's men's Final Four), and often, an officials comment can help to clarify what could be a disastrous situation. The more information available, the better for everyone involved.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Post game ref conference?

It would be a disaster. Once the media gets ahold of you,
they would keep on needling you until you said something out of frustration. One wrong answer and it would then involve the supervisor calling you before he/she would have to respond to the media. Nothing good can come of it!
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Actually, appointing a spokesman, er, I mean spokesperson (dammit, Juulie, you got me again) to speak for all the refs in an area or association is a great idea. I vote for Dave.
I don't commit the foul, I just point it out when it happens!
Old Fri Mar 29, 2002, 02:09am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I don't commit the foul, I just point it out when it happens!
Hey - that's my line!

Actually - I really wouldn't mind talking to the press. I do it all the time anyway, due to my involvement in civic affairs and politics in my city and state. I do have some experience in this area.

After college, I went to broadcasting school and worked in radio doing news and sports. I did play by play of HS football and basketball, NCAA basketball and hockey plus semi-pro baseball.

And no, I never presumed to know the rules better than the officials. I left that to the color commentator. In fact, in one HS football game, my "sidekick" said that he expected a team that just scored to take the lead with two minutes left in the game would probably try an on-side kick.

I just stared at him. It's a good thing we weren't on TV.

And - before Juulie gets a chance - I'll say it. Yes, I have a face made for radio.