The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8 View Post
Another byproduct that I neglected to mention is that many teams are pushing the team box back further (We aren't forcing or recommending this in any way) and the coaches are staying two yards back which leaves me the whole sideline.
I had a game last Friday on a brand new field with soccer lines so that the "2 yard box" was about 4 yards wide. Even better, no one was in this box (by the head coach's request). On top of that, there was another line about 8-10 yards off the side line where the coach told all his players to stay. We probably had about a dozen guys (coaches, stat guys, cameramen) in that 4-10 yard back box, but no players to be seen anywhere near the field. That was an extremely nice sideline to work on, too bad it doesn't happen more often.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Last Friday my linesman threw the flag on a coach in the first quarter for a sideline warning. This was after several verbal reminders. He had no problems the rest of the game. And...the linesman got the first drink free after the game!

I love the sideline warning because it is visible and costs no yardage. It signals that you mean business. Giving repeated verbal reminders to stay off the field doesn't work most of the time. We need to do more sideline warnings early in the game.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 07:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Last Friday my linesman threw the flag on a coach in the first quarter for a sideline warning. This was after several verbal reminders. He had no problems the rest of the game. And...the linesman got the first drink free after the game!

I love the sideline warning because it is visible and costs no yardage. It signals that you mean business. Giving repeated verbal reminders to stay off the field doesn't work most of the time. We need to do more sideline warnings early in the game.
My wings and I have talked about this and we've agreed on ONE verbal reminder before the first sideline warning. Hey, the first flag on the field is free, so that's TWO warnings, then, without an actual penalty.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Flatg it

I agree. I'll warn a coach about being on the field once in a live ball situation -- which by rule I don't have to. After that, I'm absolutely going to enforce.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 08:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodScout View Post
I agree. I'll warn a coach about being on the field once in a live ball situation -- which by rule I don't have to. After that, I'm absolutely going to enforce.
Live ball, dead ball, what does it matter? Keep them off the field ALL the time (except for an authorized conference with the team).
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 09:01am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
This year I've been working the wings in the under class games. I've learned a lot, but obviously I'm still in the process. Here's the situation I had last night and I appreciate your feedback.

First half...
Coaches (Team B) are wondering out onto the field and in front of me. I say: "Hey Coach, could you help me out a lot and stay within your box."

Fast forward to the second half...
Team B is on defense. Team A runs a sweep toward me. As the runner advances, I'm moving down field with him. All of a sudden a coach from Team B pops out in front of me (on the field) and I don't see him - we collide. I admit that when it happened I know I looked like a deer in headlights because I certainly wasn't expecting it. I threw my flag and tried to recover getting down field to the end of the run. Obviously, I was late getting down there and getting a spot for the umpire.

Obviously, the coach wasn't happy I dropped one on him and began to give me his coaching resumé saying that he'd be coaching for 41 years and that they were freshman and he'd never seen anything like that before, etc.

Side question... I know as wing officials we carry an important part in the game in that we are a link of communication between the coaches and us (officials). As a wing official, is there a point where that bridge is burned and you no longer provide that link?

As always, thanks for your help and feedback.

Edit: I don't believe it matters but it was a 4-man crew.
CANADIAN RULING:

A coach on the field with the play in the imemdiate area is definitely a flag, at minimum. Objectionable Conduct.

If he interferes with an official, I have half a mind to eject him. When two items collide, the law of conservation of momentum says that the faster-moving object is going to fall hard. My personal safety is worth more than any coach who feels it necessary to be on the field can convince me.