The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Indianapolis/Jacksonville

Don't know how many of you saw it, but a fourth-down pass interference foul on Indianapolis kept Jacksonville's winning drive alive.

I happened to be in Indiana driving on Sunday and heard (Colts GM) Bill Polian's postgame show and he was (as he usually does) ranting about the call and whining (as he always does) about how how unfair it was and how they didn't play well enough to win but he was still irate and blah blah blah blah blah.

Anyway, the NFL said it was a good call (I saw it that night and then again yesterday and thought it was a bit iffy, but whatever).

They may have missed a pretty bad shirt tug on a Jags' defender who (they said) got into position to make an interception which he returned for a touchdown.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Dungy
"I think it was the right call," Dungy said, "and we still had a couple chances to stop them after that."
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Tony Dungy is one of the NFL's class acts.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

"I think it was the right call," Dungy said, "and we still had a couple chances to stop them after that."

Unlike San Diego, who had no chances at all to recover from Hochuli's call.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Tue Sep 23, 2008, 03:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post

Unlike San Diego, who had no chances at all to recover from Hochuli's call.

Nice.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

dungy

if dungy caught me trying to rob his house, he would offer me milk and cookies and then give me a ride home

gotta love that guy, nothing rattles him
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 06:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverAndBack View Post
Don't know how many of you saw it, but a fourth-down pass interference foul on Indianapolis kept Jacksonville's winning drive alive.

I happened to be in Indiana driving on Sunday and heard (Colts GM) Bill Polian's postgame show and he was (as he usually does) ranting about the call and whining (as he always does) about how how unfair it was and how they didn't play well enough to win but he was still irate and blah blah blah blah blah.

Anyway, the NFL said it was a good call (I saw it that night and then again yesterday and thought it was a bit iffy, but whatever).

They may have missed a pretty bad shirt tug on a Jags' defender who (they said) got into position to make an interception which he returned for a touchdown.
Harrison and Mathis grabbed each other, which may be why they opted not to throw the flag on that one? The PI call didn't give 'em first down in FG range, it gave them a first down with something like 30 more yards to go. The officials also didn't give up 234 rushing yards.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya View Post
Harrison and Mathis grabbed each other, which may be why they opted not to throw the flag on that one? The PI call didn't give 'em first down in FG range, it gave them a first down with something like 30 more yards to go. The officials also didn't give up 234 rushing yards.
I completely agree with you and the replay I saw made it the correct call. To play devil's advocate though, if the penalty had not occurred, the ball would have been turned over on downs with the ball deep in Jacksonville territory. The Colts probably would have had to at least kick a field goal since Jacksonville still had all 3 time outs but it's almost certain the Colts would have won if the penalty had not occurred. This is a similar argument used by Chargers fans on that play. The Colts still had several chances to stop that drive. In case you didn't see the game, Jacksonville had like a 27-3 time of possession advantage in the second half!
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

No, I definitely watched the game. Most of the media types and vocal fans think it was a bad PI call since Williams was really just trying to pick Keiaho, but the fact remains there were (and always are) plenty of missed calls for both sides. To their credit, I haven't heard many Colts fans complain that the refs "cost" them the game. Down here in Jax, most of think it's just very ironic that a ticky-tack PI call would go against the Colts, who have lobbied for years for increased PI & illegal contact calls, and that they would then whien about it.
Old Wed Sep 24, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inigo montoya View Post
To their credit, I haven't heard many Colts fans complain that the refs "cost" them the game.
Shoulda heard their postgame radio show, then.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

colts are struggling, I can see a major race for the division between TEN, JAX, and INDY assuming INDY gets healthy soon, they look like an average defense without Sanders, and the offense is missing half of their o-line.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:36am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fljet View Post
colts are struggling, I can see a major race for the division between TEN, JAX, and INDY assuming INDY gets healthy soon, they look like an average defense without Sanders, and the offense is missing half of their o-line.
You prove your "fanboy" status with every passing post.