The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Any A-11 Out There?

I have neither seen nor heard anything about the A-11 since the season started. We already 1/3 of the way through our regular season and nobody has mentioned it here yet either. The A-11 folks were claiming that several teams would be using it this year.
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

I officiated this offense on Saturday. I was filling in on a varsity game and I worked the wing position. I even was called by the media to see what I was thinking from an official's point of view about the offense. There have only been maybe 2 or 3 schools that are using this offense that I know of. I do not see this wide spread usage of this offense.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:34pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I officiated this offense on Saturday. I was filling in on a varsity game and I worked the wing position. I even was called by the media to see what I was thinking from an official's point of view about the offense. There have only been maybe 2 or 3 schools that are using this offense that I know of. I do not see this wide spread usage of this offense.

Peace
What were the media's questions? Can you share your responses? Will there be an online article by this/these media outlet(s)?
Old Thu Sep 11, 2008, 01:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
What were the media's questions? Can you share your responses? Will there be an online article by this/these media outlet(s)?
They asked me how it was to officiate the offense and other basic questions about where I heard of the offense. It was really generic stuff.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 13, 2008, 10:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is the article and the interview I was referring to. I also feel that the comments from the NF are kind of revealing to what might happen in the future.

Chicago Tribune Article

Peace
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I may be predisposed to think this, but my impression of the comments is that the NFHS is going to shut it down. Is that how you read it?

I posted the following on another board but it was censored and removed. Let's see how long it stays here.....

The "inventor" of the A-11 may be close to rolling out his latest "innovation", the "A-15 defense". A defense industry source has provided him with a "stealth fabric" that he will make 4 uniforms from. He will uniform 4 of his defensive players in the material so they can be on the field with his regualr defense and possibly help shore up the defense which gave up 61 points to a 1st year football program.

The real story from the Contra Costa Times:
Hancock Christian-Stockton 61, Piedmont 34: The Eagles (1-0) scored five times in the second half, smashing through a 27-27 tie after two quarters and leaving no doubt that the first-year football program has talent.

Hancock opened the third quarter with a six-play drive to the end zone, aided by a personal foul penalty against Piedmont, scoring on a 2-yard run by quarterback Antonio McCullough to go up 33-27. Nine seconds later, the Eagles Jerome Mayfield intercepted a Jeremy George pass on Piedmont's 34-yard line. Hancock running back Fred Jones made the Highlanders (0-1) pay, scoring on a 34-yard run to give the Eagles a 41-27 edge with 8:34 in the third quarter.

The Eagles would score three more times in the second half with a 35-yard run by Jones, a 35-yard by Johnny Walker and a 26-yard run by Sharod Vickers. Jones finished with three touchdowns, including a 94-yard kick return in the first quarter, rushing for 175 yards on 14 carries. Walker finished with 140 yards on 13 carries.

The Highlanders were shut out in the third quarter, but scored once in the fourth. Piedmont wide receiver Joey Andrada pulled down a 17-yard pass from George that bounced off the helmet of Eagle defender Jeremy Mayfield. George finished with 289 yards on 19 of 32 attempts with one interception.

— Kelli Phillips

Last edited by TXMike; Sun Sep 14, 2008 at 04:25pm.
Old Sun Sep 14, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a fan of the A-11. I think it's taking advantage of what the numbering exception and is NOT what the numbering exception was intended to be used for.
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Of course it's taking advantage of the exception. Who denied that? The interesting question is whether FED will change the rules in response to its popularity.

I think that it's likely to be shut down this coming off-season. I think that two camps will make common cause:
1. those who think that the A-11 isn't "real football" (including those who think smash-mouth is the only real game), and
2. those who think that an important purpose of HS football is preparation for the next level (where the A-11 is illegal).

Between these two groups, I predict that they'll have enough on the committee to rewrite the exception more like NCAA's.