The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

BYU - Washington

Did anyone else see it?

Cougars score with 2 seconds remaining. QB #10 flings the ball high into the air, so air it went out of the TV picutre. He correctly draws the USC for excessive celebration. BYU blocks the PAT from the 18 and hangs on to win.

Of course, the ESPN studio idiots are complaining about the call, EVEN AFTER POSTING THE RULE FOR ALL TO SEE.

Mean old officials!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I saw it and it was the wrong call to make at any point in the game.

I understand the rule, but officials need to really hide the flag on something like this especially at that point of that game.

Believe me, this will be a hot topic for pregames in officiating crews in the coming weeks in all conferences across the country.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

ESPN says they have Dave Parry on SPortcenter tonight to discuss the call

From ESPN.com:

But as soon as the ball left Locker's hands and went into the air, officials hands were tied, according to a statement from referee Larry Farina.

"After scoring the touchdown, the player threw the ball into the air and we are required, by rule, to assess a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty," Farina said in a statement given to Washington officials. "It is a celebration rule that we are required to call. It was not a judgment call."
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, the ESPN coverage is really annoying. Don't blame the officials, blame the rule (which is a very dumb one, IMO).
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike

From ESPN.com:

But as soon as the ball left Locker's hands and went into the air, officials hands were tied, according to a statement from referee Larry Farina.

"After scoring the touchdown, the player threw the ball into the air and we are required, by rule, to assess a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty," Farina said in a statement given to Washington officials. "It is a celebration rule that we are required to call. It was not a judgment call."
God forbid we should rely on the judgement of the officials.

A play like this inevitably happens when rulesmakers try to eliminate judgement.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnSandlin
This isn't the first time call has been made. We've all seen it before. Where was your outrage before when it was called before?

Quote:
I understand the rule, but officials need to really hide the flag on something like this especially at that point of that game.
No, evidently you don't understand the rule if you're going to tell us that it's "the wrong call to make at any point in the game." If you don't like the rule, then work to get it changed. But it is the rule and it's not new.

It's unfortunate for Washington that they had the kick blocked but it's bull$hit to lay it on the officials.

Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Did anyone else see it?

Cougars score with 2 seconds remaining. QB #10 flings the ball high into the air, so air it went out of the TV picutre. He correctly draws the USC for excessive celebration. BYU blocks the PAT from the 18 and hangs on to win.

Of course, the ESPN studio idiots are complaining about the call, EVEN AFTER POSTING THE RULE FOR ALL TO SEE.

Mean old officials!
As many times as they replayed it, the ball was thrown high enough to be completely out of sight on my TV. One of the BD (Brain Dead) mouths in the booth said that the QB just threw the ball back over his shoulder. These fools are so anti-officials, they can't understand what a foul is.

Bob
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezebra
As many times as they replayed it, the ball was thrown high enough to be completely out of sight on my TV. One of the BD (Brain Dead) mouths in the booth said that the QB just threw the ball back over his shoulder. These fools are so anti-officials, they can't understand what a foul is.
Exactly. I heard that as well.

Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you suggest completely ignoring the rule at all times?

Quote:
Ok, ignore it the whole game but especially ignore it at the end How about telling the player to not commit dumb fouls?

Quote:
Believe me, this will be a hot topic for pregames in officiating crews in the coming weeks in all conferences across the country.
It should be as it serves as a great example of good officiating.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

I have seen the play and I have no problem with the call. How about do not do this and you will not have to worry about it.

Let me take this a step further. I am a Back Judge and I happen to be the covering official on most long and exciting TDs. For some reason you do not see players throw the ball, or not just hand the ball to me or another official. Why is it that high school players can have restraint, but college players (who are older) do not? Also, the NCAA shows extensive tape on plays that are ruled illegal. I will bet a lot of money that there are plays like this that suggest this is a foul. I personally do not care what point of the game this took place. If you do not want a flag, keep your composure and you will have little or nothing to worry about.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Sep 06, 2008 at 11:23pm.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike
Dave Parry discussed the call and backed the official. But Dave probably shouldn't be allowed to talk on TV. He kept saying "...in the official's judgment" which ESPN took apart after he got off the air.

But he did point out that video has been sent to all coaches across the country showing exactly this type of play, and other plays as well.

Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There is nothing stupider than the old "you can't flag that at this point of the game" comment.
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Dave Parry discussed the call and backed the official. But Dave probably shouldn't be allowed to talk on TV. He kept saying "...in the official's judgment" which ESPN took apart after he got off the air.

But he did point out that video has been sent to all coaches across the country showing exactly this type of play, and other plays as well.
To be fair to the Dave, he made very clear that the official was in position and saw the entire play. He also said that you cannot split hairs with whether the ball went 10 feet or 15 feet as was suggested by the Reece Davis tried to suggest on the telecast. I think all Dave was trying to make clear that this was a judgment call and that it fits the rule. And ESPN quoted the rule and gave a specific reference to throwing the ball in the air. Now if anyone is stupid that is Lou Holtz which clearly tried to add crap to the issue by saying he does not see players drop the ball or hand the ball to the officials. Then again, he did coach at Notre Dame, so I understand why he is stupid in the first place.

Peace
Old Sat Sep 06, 2008, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5
There is nothing stupider than the old "you can't flag that at this point of the game" comment.
QFT. In regards to ESPN, when in the hell are they going to hire a retired official as a commentator so they can finally get this stuff right?
Old Sun Sep 07, 2008, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang70
QFT. In regards to ESPN, when in the hell are they going to hire a retired official as a commentator so they can finally get this stuff right?
Probably never. Even if they did it wouldn't make much of a difference. I remember a NFL Official Review segment from 2 years ago. The NFL has a grasp and control rule which says that if the QB is grasped and controlled by a team B player and another defender is coming towards the QB then the ball is dead (or something like that). That play came up in a game, after the QB was grasped and controlled he fumbled; the ball was dead before the fumble. So Rich Eisen and Pereira argue back and forth about the call after Pereira explained the rule. He even said that it was a perfect example of the rule and Eisen still argued. These announcer guys just don't get it and having someone on TV who knows the rules and officiating wouldn't change that.